Just wondering if anyone has experience running the smaller radiator in an 8v Golf 2 ITB car.

I am running the big radiator now, and have zero water temperatur issues. Ran on a very hot (mid 90s, 100 heat index) July weekend at Blackhawk and saw consistent 190 water temps. Runing a normaly hot (high 80s) June weekend at Road America ran right at the t-stat temperature of 180 (since changed to 160).

The issue is that I am just not satisfied with the location that I have my oil cooler mounted. The hose routing is more convoluted than I prefer, the clear view of airflow is not what I prefer and it is sitting in front of the radiator which will impede flow through both units. I have been running very high oil temps due to a shipping error on the oil cooler parts when we put the motor in prior to RA, and we did not get everythig sorted out until after BHF. Oil temps were in the 280-300 range with no cooler, and I obviously cannot continue to race like this - Soooo.

My thought is, if the water side is in really good shape, maybe going to the smaller core will work. I will gain space to install the cooler beside the radiator, both getting clean flow, and with proper shrouding, should be able to assure even better flow over both cores.

Is this a bad idea in your collective opinions? Anyone else been down this road, and has the scars to keep me from making a mistake?

thanks in advance