Thread: 1980 Rabbit ITC > ITB

I have a 1980 Rabbit with the 1.6L in it. ITC is pretty sparse around here and I was contemplating building it into an prod car, but thought that if I could put the 1.8L I could have fun in ITB. As far as i know the chassis are the same with the difference between the 83/84 rabbits being the engine and trans.

Is this legal? or should I just sell the thing and buy and ITA car?

Bryan

It's not legal. It's a stupid rule but there you go...

K

Like Kirk said, it is not legal, which is dumb.

I don't know that anyone would be able to ID the car as a Rabbit vs. GTI if it is a square light version. Not that I'm suggesting bending the rules....

You could transfer your cage, suspension and body shell to a set of GTI VIN plates as well....
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Legally you can run the 1.7L in ITB for the 1980 car. But, as others have said -- there is no physical difference between the square headlight rabbit and the GTI bodies. Only bolt on stuff and the VINs. I woudl not protest you for that, because I know there is no advantage.
    Jason Benagh
    Steward - NER SCCA
    ITB 1995 VW Golf

Sadly it is not legal. I had the same issue with my old Civic, a DX body with a SI driveline, not legal so I didn't run it with SCCA.
    LoBuk ITB CRX Si
    2007 NASA H5 National Champion
    2006 NASA H5 National Champion
    2005 ECHC H5 Champion

Legally you can run the 1.7L in ITB for the 1980 car. But, as others have said -- there is no physical difference between the square headlight rabbit and the GTI bodies. Only bolt on stuff and the VINs. I woudl not protest you for that, because I know there is no advantage.
    [/b]
    Actually, the 1.7 is an ITC car.

Anyway, as the others have said, not legal and a dumb rule. Even more so in light of the recent Fiero proposals.

Actually, the 1.7 is an ITC car.
    [/b]
    oops. missed that change. At one point it was a B car (I think)
    Jason Benagh
    Steward - NER SCCA
    ITB 1995 VW Golf

It is illegal.

I'd do it anyway and consider it a badge of honor if someone had to use that to protest me!

I just spent a fortune saving a car I should have re-shelled because of this STUPID (for this particular car) rule, and I won't do that again. Next time I will uninstall the chassis as a whole and replace it
    Eddie
    ex RX3 and GTI driver
    "Don't RallyCross what you can't afford to Road Race" - swiped from YH and twisted for me
    "I have heard that any landing you can walk away from is a 'good' landing. I bet this applies to flying airplanes as well." - E.J.

Well, that about does it for that i suppose.

I'll probably pick up a GTI some time and swap everything over. Will give me a chance to build the car and learn its ins and outs. Downside to buying an already built race car.

Thanks for the replies.

bryan

If everyone who thinks this is a stupid rule had written to support the change when it has been requested, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation today. Ten letters on one topic is pretty much a landslide.

K

How do we get the ball rolling on that? I've been a member of midwestern council for awhile but not SCCA. Nobody in council would give me grief about the swap, but SCCA seems to be a bit more of a stickler for the rules.

Somebody mentioned a fiero rule that seemed similar to this. what was that?

bryan

I wrote my letter back when this was brought up last.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

I'd do it anyway and consider it a badge of honor if someone had to use that to protest me![/b]
    While I and many others wouldn't have an issue with it personally, it still isn't legal to do right now. Write a letter to the powers that be and get some support from others. The issue with building a car that does not meet the rules even if others won't protest you is what can happen down the road. Maybe you get competitive and want to attend the ARRC? Or maybe you want to sell it in the future (the buyer should be made aware of this).

Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

If everyone who thinks this is a stupid rule had written to support the change when it has been requested, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation today. Ten letters on one topic is pretty much a landslide.

K
    [/b]
    Kirk,

The fault in that logic is that you're actually applying logic. You assume that all issues are treated the same. That being said, I requested they do away with this YEARS ago.