Captain Who and I have been discussing the pros and cons of renting versus owning recently and I was hoping for the input of others more knowledgable than we. At present, we have an IT7 car that has cost about $7K in blown motors since this time last year. Other than consumables like front rotors, a new set of belts, etc., this has been the major cost. Captain Who and I can do basic stuff like the brakes, rotors, and oil changes, but engine work, tranny work, rearend work, etc. are stuff we have to pay someone else for.

In regard to the Baby Grand, I caught the silly thing on fire in March. Still fixing the damage now. Seems that it's got valve trouble and may need a new head. This may be $2K to fix all that's wrong. Since we haven't been into the engine since we got the car, I guess this is to be expected. Like the Rx7, we can do basics, but engine work is something we have to farm-out.

Knowing our lack of mechanical ability and the fact that we can only afford to race 4-6 races per year, any opinions on owning versus renting??

Thanks for the help,
Scott Franklin
www.NutDriver.org