Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NARRC Points

Well, here we are, just past halfway through the season. Everyone started with a bang (some more than others) while the rest fought for scraps. The championships are tightening up, plans are being made (and broken), and the Mylanta is flowing.

Time for a season re-cap. I'll provide ITA write-ups, and I'd like to hear from the other classes.

NERRC Points; last current as of this posting, 07/21/07: http://www.ner.org/rr/07/2007NERRCPTSVed.pdf
    NARRC Points; last current as of this posting, 07/21/07: http://www.scca-nnjr.org/download/narrc-points.pdf

ITA

With season champion Greg Amy in a self-declared "sit-out" for the '07 championship, the ITA NARRC/NERRC is wide open. The season started with Greg winning the race, but foreshadowing of the coming of Andy Bettencourt was written, as Andy came from qualifying disaster with a run through the field to finish second. Andy has shown he is basically a shoe-in for the win, save for mechanical failures or RAIN.

Prior to the July 4th LRP race, no one began to think they had a chance against Andy Bettencourt. He was handily leading the points and pretty much dominating every race. Given that the NARRC points basically REQUIRE competitors to attend most LRP events - and Andy is impenetrable there - most had laid back to fight for the runner-up position.

Ah, but then the Achilles' Heal of the mosquito: RAIN.

The first swipe at the heal came at the July 4th race: though Andy qualified on pole in expected fashion in the dry, the afternoon race came as a downpour. Combined with the rain and a single mistake, Andy finished out of the top-3 while his main rival, Crazy Joe DiMinno, *just* finished outside his first win, conceding it to 2005 champion Rick Benzanic. One could smell the adrenaline on his breath when Joe stepped out of the car...

Swipes Two and Three came at NHIS in mid-July, when Andy suffered mechanical misfortune, allowing Crazy Joe to take his first two wins there. The heretofore unconquerable Bettencourt Racing Machine began to show signs of cracking, with DiMinno ready to pounce.

Then comes Watkins Glen. DiMinno literally cruises to pole and a win at the end-of-July event, taking his third-ever ITA win and turning his eyes to the prize. Joe now has three wins to Andy's four in the NARRC, and Andy has a few extra participation points; however, once one starts dropping races in the best-of-eight format, there's less than a handful of points separating the two!

So, what's gonna happen now? Will DiMinno - as rumored, the rat bastard - choose to skip the big Mid-Ohio event and represent the Nissan Nation at the August LRP race to guarantee those double points at the NARRCoffs (I told you the point system was screwy)? Will a big wet blanket get thrown on Bettencourt at the NARRCoffs (when was the last time you remember a dry NARRCoffs)?

Other standouts in ITA include Tim Klvana, Jeff Lawton, and Rob Breault. Tim's chalked up two well-deserved wins this year, at Pocono and Lime Rock, and once he gets his program consistent he will be a consistent challenger. Jeff's also faced consistency problems, but is always champing at the bit ready to take advantage of any competitor's mistakes. Doc Breault, on the other hand, is the MODEL of consistency: always there, always racing. Once he gets the speed (oh, and he will get the speed) the rest of us are toast...

ITA: Same Bat Time, same Bat Channel!

3 more races in the NARRC...

Greg, why don't you bring out the egg so I can whip up on TWO SR20's....

Rain or DNF for Joe's win? Roll the dice!!! I WILL be at WGI next year.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Greg, why don't you bring out the egg so I can whip up on TWO SR20's....[/b]
    Nah, I got bigger fish to fry. You two kids go have fun in your little pond...

I WILL be at WGI next year.[/b]
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. I seem to recall something like "I WILL be at Road Atlanta next year" and "I WILL be at Mid-Ohio next year" and stuff like this (sound familiar?)

We all know you "WILL" be at your safe haven at Lime Rock Park; everything else is just bad odds...

We all know you "WILL" be at your safe haven at Lime Rock Park; everything else is just bad odds...
    [/b]
    +1 on Greg's comments!!!

That's exactly how we're beginning to feel about you out here in Great Lakes, you can't be the fastest until you beat the fastest, and you haven't even stepped up to the plate yet! Come on Andy, who really cares about a divisional championship anyways? I can't remember the last time I showed up at a race and was scared of the big bad "divisional champ"... ARRC champ or IT Fest champ is something to respect!

Why don't you and Joe make an agreement to BOTH come to Mid-Ohio... Neither of you lose anything to each other in points and you can return to your divisional world at the next race!

This might be your only chance to do so this year, you don't stand even half as much chance at Road Atlanta, better make the more Miater friendly Mid-Ohio IT fest count

--------------------------------------------------
    Joe Moser
    #63 ITA Honda CRX
    Great Lakes Division
    www.MoserRacing.com

i agree that both should go to mid ohio. then resume the battle afterwards. and the coments before are priceless.
    Rick Benazic
    All Star Sheet Metal inc.

ITS Honda prelude #06

+1 on Greg's comments!!!

That's exactly how we're beginning to feel about you out here in Great Lakes, you can't be the fastest until you beat the fastest, and you haven't even stepped up to the plate yet! Come on Andy, who really cares about a divisional championship anyways? I can't remember the last time I showed up at a race and was scared of the big bad "divisional champ"... ARRC champ or IT Fest champ is something to respect!

Why don't you and Joe make an agreement to BOTH come to Mid-Ohio... Neither of you lose anything to each other in points and you can return to your divisional world at the next race!

This might be your only chance to do so this year, you don't stand even half as much chance at Road Atlanta, better make the more Miater friendly Mid-Ohio IT fest count
    [/b]

Wow.......Andy......Those are some good points.............. Hard to pass on that........ Do you want to be the best in the country or win the NARRC Championship........... PLUS, you'll have much more fun at the IT Fest!!

Where's the little "chicken" icon :P
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Good stuff!!! Let me win one first! Same as Greggie-Boy. Next years schedule will look much different, trust me.

Besides, I can't win too much too fast or else Greg will send letters to the CRB. All in good time...

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Let me win one first!
    [/b]

Yeah, but if both you and Joe blow off LRP, there's no change in the standings. Just pick up the fight at NHIS.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

Got to admit with everyone Andy.... Bring it to Mid Ohio instead of taking a cheap win in NARRC just so you can beat Joe... not that you are afraid he might beat you or something right???

Raymond

Better yet... Go win Lime Rock (what a challenge for ya ) the drive out after the race through the night and run the 2 races on Sunday in Mid Ohio starting at the back of the pack... and really show people what you got!!!
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Andy - don't take the sucker bait - win the NARRC. Plan the work, work the plan.

BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

I'll bring some chicken feed with me to Mid Ohio. Maybe Andy will show then?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

So, let's address this logically. As of 07/31/07, the NARRC points are as follows, when considering the "best of eight" format. Keep in mind here are three races - 51 total points - still left: 12 for each race plus double points at the NARRCOffs (+12), plus three participation points:

- Andy Bettencourt, 112
    - Joe DiMinno, 103
    - Tim Klvana, 73

Everyone else is more than 51 points behind Bettencourt, ergo these three are the only ones capable of winning the NARRC ITA Championship (yes, I know: there's drops for best-of-eight, but no one else is close enough to worry about...)

We use a best-of-eight format. Tim currently has 6 races completed, with his worst one being a sixth (4 points). If he were to win EVERYTHING from now on, the best he can do on points is 73+51- 4 = 120 points, eight more than Bettencourt's current tally.

If Andy were to skip the August LRP, yet simply finish in the last two races, he'd have 114 points (112+ participation); all he has to do is finish 3rd or better in just ONE of those races (7 points) - or average 6th or better in each (8 total points) - to surpass Tim's best-possible point count, making losing double points for skipping LRP in August irrelevant. So, let's face it: while we all love Timmah, and while he has a mathematical chance of winning the NARRC, in reality there's just too many things that have to line up for Tim to have a real shot at the title.

Ergo, it's a mano-a-mano, Andy-versus-Joe, Mazda-versus-Nissan battle. If these boys really wanted to prove their mettle, and make this experience one to remember for the ages, they'd both show up at Mid-Ohio for the IT Fest, then come home to take charge of the chase.

So, what's it gonna be, boys...? Yes, or no?

So, what's it gonna be, boys...? Yes, or no?
    [/b]

Meat Loaf, Dash Board Lights
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

I'll bring some chicken feed with me to Mid Ohio. Maybe Andy will show then?
    [/b]

Oh man! Now that made me laugh hard enough to hurt!!!!!!!

Maybe we put a KFC logo on his car?????
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

So, let's address this logically.

- Andy Bettencourt, 112
    - Joe DiMinno, 103
    - Tim Klvana, 73

So, let's face it: while we all love Timmah, and while he has a mathematical chance of winning the NARRC, in reality there's just too many things that have to line up for Tim to have a real shot at the title.
    [/b]
    Greg - Nicely done.

I will make it easy for my other two friends Andy and Joe - If they both go to Ohio I will go too, taking me completely out of the equation - although I am not convinced I was ever in. We were not committed to the NARRC Championship so no biggy.

My guess is that Joe Moser's "shout out" to Andy leaves little to be desired - a real Miata lover - right Joe - and who says size doesn't matter. That battle might have to be settled at RA.

What did Neil say - "got to get down to it, racecar drivers are gunning us down" or something like that.

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

1997 EMRA Vanderbilt Cup TT ST-3 Champion

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

CPM Motorsports Cars - '87 Civic Si - ITA #11, '86 CRX- ITC #11, '95 Integra - ITA #11
    [email protected]

Carol Miller, "Take A Breath"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/carolmiller

Man, I sure do see a whole lotta gauntlets being tossed down, but I sure don't see too many of 'em gettin' picked up!

Come on Andy go to Mid-Ohio!
    Jeremy Billiel

Yeah, c'mon Andy! And, look at it this way, if you go, and you DON"T win, then all the bitching about "The Miata needs weight" (sung in a flasetto whiney voice) will go quiet, and THAT wouldn't be a bad thing, now would it?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

NEXT!

2 Jan Rief Blue 1992 Acura Integra
    Sponsored by: Rief Motorsports
    3 Kevin Ruck Orange 1992 Acura Integra
    Sponsored by: Engineered Performance
    6 Steve Linn Red 1992 Nissan Sentra
    Sponsored by: Fins Up Racing
    7 Jon Marhefka Black 1989 Honda CRX Si
    Sponsored by: SOFA KING FAST RACING
    11 Tim Klvana Red 1995 Acura Integra
    Sponsored by: CPM Motorsports

14 Matt Downing Red/Black 1994 Honda Civic EX
    Sponsored by: www.CERA.net
    19 Jeremy Lucas Blue 1776 Acura Integra
    Sponsored by: Honda, Cobalt, AEM
    22 Dale Kennedy Blue/White 1973 Mercury Capri
    26 Brent Breon Silver 1988 Honda CRX
    Sponsored by: Mini Do More
    27 Steve Sancricca Silver 1988 Honda CRX Si
    Sponsored by: GS Racing
    33 Greg Amy Red 1992 Nissan NX2000
    Sponsored by: Kessler Engineering
    34 Jeff Lawton red 1991 Saturn SC2
    Sponsored by: Kessler Engineering
    43 Michael Olivier Black 1997 Honda Civic
    Sponsored by: The Garland Company
    51 Richard Boehly White 1992 Mazda Miata
    Sponsored by: BlueFrog.com
    61 William Stevens Blue 1983 Dodge Shelby Charger
    Sponsored by: Discount Tire, T.S. Klugh Studio
    62 Goran Pesevski Yellow 1989 Honda CRX Si
    Sponsored by: LNG Properties LLC
    63 Joseph Moser Yellow 1988 Honda CRX Si
    Sponsored by: Westland Car Care Center
    71 Evan Darling Red 1992 Acura Integra
    Sponsored by: Georgies Alibi Resturant and Video Bar
    74 Gregory Meindl White 1995 Dodge Neon
    Sponsored by: Raceshopper.com
    75 Willie Phee Silver/Blue 98 1998 Acura Integra
    Sponsored by: Acura Carland, PACT, AYES, Mobil 1, Studio 540, Sparco, WRPMotorsports
    77 Aj Nealey Black 1988 Honda CRX Si
    Sponsored by: Hondamans.com - EasyMDmortgage.com - ajnealeyracing.com
    79 Robert Spencer White 1990 Nissan 240sx
    Sponsored by: FastFrog Racing
    96 Robert Moser Red 1988 Honda CRX Si
    Sponsored by: Westland Car Care Center
    99 Ian Green Green 1991 Honda CRX
    Sponsored by: Engineered Performance
    01 Joseph Diminno Blue 1991 Nissan Sentra SE-R
    Sponsored by: Crazy Joe Racing
    04 Kyle Campbell Silver/ Blue 1995 Acura Integra
    Sponsored by: Acura Carland, Pact, AEYS, Mobile 1, Comptech, Studio 540, Sparco, WRP Motorsports
    06 Enrik Benazic blue/red 1991 acura integra
    Sponsored by: All Star Sheet Metal
    07 Christopher Childs White 1995 Dodge

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

1997 EMRA Vanderbilt Cup TT ST-3 Champion

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

CPM Motorsports Cars - '87 Civic Si - ITA #11, '86 CRX- ITC #11, '95 Integra - ITA #11
    [email protected]

Carol Miller, "Take A Breath"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/carolmiller

NEXT!
    11 Tim Klvana Red 1995 Acura Integra
    Sponsored by: CPM Motorsports
    [/b]
    Wohoo!! This is gettin intrestin.

Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Very nice Tim!!!

It sure would be a cheap way to win the NARRC if you don't go Andy.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing