Thread: Ideas for side mirrors?

So I need to replace the side mirror on my 300ZX - been looking around for some good (light) mirrors that fall in to the "cheap" category. Anybody know of a good resource?

timo

The Good Ole Local Junk Yard. Bring a picture of what you need. If they don't have the one, I'm sure there is one that is close.

Dave
    Team Jagermeister
    '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10 - ITB NESCCA Enduro Champions

Buy a mirror that attaches to your roll bar from OG Racing or one of the other racing parts suppliers.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I've got these laying around, used but good condition. CF has a couple chips. Convex mirror glass!

http://www.tcsportline.com/categories.php?Pid=862

I'd do $65 shipped for R & L
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

I agree with the "mount on rollcage" approach. I have a wide angle rear-view mirror on my roll cage from IOPort Racing but I also have a 5" 99c Ebay special mirror that I attached to my rollcage drivers left pillar to cover my blind spot. It is fantastic, I can see exactly when someone puts their nose alongside. Weighs very little. I had to fab up a custom bracket.

I had to modify one of these to get it out of the car and attached to the roll bar at the same time but it works great.

Longacre Mirror

Tom Sprecher

I had to modify one of these to get it out of the car and attached to the roll bar at the same time but it works great.

Longacre Mirror
    [/b]

I also tried one of these on each side of the car, no matter what I did, even after a good amount of modification to the mount and talking to a couple shops, my cage design simply did work with these mirrors. I messed around for 2 weeks trying to get them to fit right.They are great if you can get them to fit on your cage. I already ebay'd the ones I had.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

I had to make an extension for the mirror itself. The mirror pivot bolt screwed into the end of a piece of 0.75 x 0.50 x 3.5" aluminum bar stock. At the other end I drilled and counter bored a hole that bolted the whole thing to the cage mount. Otherwise, the thing would not work at all.

When I get done with work I'll take a pic and post it.

Tom Sprecher

I used a spherical cage mount mirror made by Joes Racing. I got the extended mount version, and it works pretty well. I just needed to adjust my perception/response curve to what I see in the mirror. Objects are MUCH CLOSER than they appear. I basically use the wide view windshield mirror to see behind and the spherical to check the blind spot when needed.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

I could not make the Longacre one work either. I found another one that seems to work much better.

http://www.bsrproducts.com/product_info.ph...roducts_id=1890
    David Plott
    Atlanta Region #289721
    #54 1973 Datsun 240Z
    Mount Juliet, TN

I could not make the Longacre one work either. I found another one that seems to work much better.

http://www.bsrproducts.com/product_info.ph...roducts_id=1890
    [/b]
    That one looks better and is cheaper to boot! I have not heard of BSR Products but I will be looking into their products.
    Tom Sprecher