I am the Arizona director of 944 spec and have been involved in 944 spec since 2002. I also have been closely involved in the 944 spec rules for 5 years. I built my 944 from the ground up back in from 2000-2003, have held several track records and was the 2006 Az region champion. I have also built 2-3 motors at home so I know what it takes to make strong 944 spec car. I have never raced in SCCA however.

Making a car 944 competitive for ITS will leave it not legal for 944 spec. A competetive car for 944 spec could be ITS legal if you made build just right.

http://944spec.org is the place for the 944 spec rules. They are considerably more restrictive in suspension, engine and tranny rules. They are however more liberal in what can be removed to make weight (2600lbs with driver). Tire and wheel rules are also limited on 944 spec (toyo RA'1 and 2 types of stock wheels) and more open in ITS. However a good thing to do would be to have a ITS wheel/tire and 944 spec wheel/tire.

Care must be taken when building the for both series. In general the 944 spec prep rules are more restritive, but they were not based on ITS rules so differences do exist.

I would think a well prepared 944 spec car would a lower mid pack ITS car. Lap times would probalby just off the best ITA cars asssuming the driver gets all they can from the car.

If you want all the details on 944 spec prep visit http://nasaforums.com and look in the "944 challenge" area.

I would happy provide all that I know about 944 spec prep, but don't visit this board all that often. Sadly I know little about ITS rules other that what I have read (limited).

My contact info in on the 944spec.org website under "contacts".

Build priorities are
1) Replace worn parts to make the car reliable
2) Weight reduction
3) suspension / aligment

Key to all of that learning to drive the piss out of the car to improve. Most new 944 spec drivers are new racers and they will see 3 to 10 second lap time improvements just from driving skill improvement from seat time.