Thread: 2002 Sentra SER in ITS?

Has anyone campaigned an '02 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V in ITS yet? On paper, it doesn't really sound like a winner @ 2,850lb and front wheel drive.

Pros: good power, slick 6-speed transmission

Cons: Front wheel drive, heavy, lacks independent rear suspension and has a McPherson setup in the front

Does anyone have an opinion they would like to share?
    -Jeff S
    '07 Mid-Am ITA Champion
    '07 St.Louis Region Driver of the Year

www.plainoldgas.com

Honda S2000 for ITR in the works

Has anyone campaigned an '02 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V in ITS yet? On paper, it doesn't really sound like a winner @ 2,850lb and front wheel drive.

Pros: good power, slick 6-speed transmission

Cons: Front wheel drive, heavy, lacks independent rear suspension and has a McPherson setup in the front

Does anyone have an opinion they would like to share?
    [/b]

I own a 03 Spec V, Trans is not trick I have the complete Nismo suspension kit. Nismo cat back old G-force tires and the standard brakes factory LSD and a full interior. I plan to turn this into a T3 car then an ITS car. I have no cage in it yet. I went out to a track day not expecting a great deal from this. The forst 2 sessions were wet on dry tires and I did have a blast (don't do FWD often) tossing this thing around and catching it. Once I got some dry time i was fairly impressed with the quality of the car and the way that it handled. turn in was good(unexpected) center was a little hard to get at first (waiting for it to rotate, yah right) exit off was great once I figured it out. On this old crappy set up the car (with no other work) was a decent ITA car lap time wise and pulled off the corner as a good ITS car (torque was excellent) The only concern I have is the QR25 needs to loose the balance shaft chain to hang together. It was in the VTS from the factory and I believe T3 legal to remove it but I have to admit I have not looked lately. All in all I feel a very good car and with a reflash of the factory ECU it will pickup HP and raise the limter. I have never thought a lot about FWD but this like the RSX handled well and was fun and decent to drive.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

I ran a regular SE-R in SSC for two and a half years. My views are :

Buddy Baker, "She handles real good down the straightaway."

Sterling Marlin, "She won't turn in a forty acre field."

The weakest point to racing a Sentra is the COMPLETELY non adjustable rear axle. The stub axles are welded to the tube from the factory and you cannot adjust for toe and camber AT ALL. On top of that, she's a fat bloated pig. SCCA says you can now run Spec-V in SSC but at 3000 lbs. My SE-R ran at about 2880. I could run with the Hondas and MINIS on any straight in SEDiv, but she just wouldn't turn.

You must also lose the Cat. The overlap on the camshafts allow burned cat stuff back into the engine, which is like pouring Comet into the cylinders.

Maybe with aftermarket stuff, it could be made to work, but in relativly stock trim, she's a real good street car, but a lousy race car. Even P.D. Cunningham gave up on his. And he had some real cool factory go fast stuff.

Russ
    Russ

I think it has a lot of potential if it is set up well. The 2850 weight isn't really that bad compared to other "s" cars, and it should make decent horsepower with IT mods. The car was praised as one of the better handling front drivers when it came out. As Russ points out, in stock form, not so good. In IT trim, I think it MAY be a really good car. No one is going to know untill they build one (always a gamble). But I may be a bit biased since I am the one who got it classed in IT. IF I can ever get some money in my pocket again, I may start a build on one. But thats going to be a while.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56