Mike... I've had some experience with a short pit penalty. The last time we ran the CCPS at Lowes my pit stop was deemed to be .016 seconds short! I was penalized 1 finishing position. It's my understanding (I could be wrong) that a short stop of less than 1 second results in a penalty of 1 finishing position. Greater than 1 second is 5 positions (I think) or possibly DQed, it's left to the stewards. Here's what the rulebook says:

7.1The mandatory pit stop will be 2 minutes in length. The pit stop shall not commence until at least 1 lap after the green flag and less than 2 minutes prior to the checker. Failure to make the required 2 minute pit stop may result in a time or lap penalty or possible disqualification.

7.2Timing the pit stop will be determined through these 2 methods:

Method 1

Use the timing charts for the race as provided by timing and scoring to determine the fastest lap times for competitors. By adding 2 minutes plus the time required to traverse pit lane at 40 MPH to this fastest lap time, a total pit stop time shall be determined for each entry. Lap charts shall then be checked to confirm that each competitor did have a total lap time equal to or greater than the previously determined lap time.

Method 2

A log will be maintained to show the time and car number of all cars entering and exiting pit lane during the event. A study of the log shall show that all cars having entered and exited pit lane in a total time equal to or greater than 2 minutes plus the time required to traverse pit lane at 40 MPH.

I hope this helps...
Steve
ITS 57