Thread: August Fastrack out!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

OPEN ECUs???

We'll, it's happened... And IT WAS heading is such an excellent direction...

This is going to go down as one of the worst things to ever happen to IT... Things were just starting to get in balance, now the gauntlet has been laid down, the doors thrown wide open...

I'm glad I got out of car racing when I did... becuase this one would have ended it for me anyhow... Not sure how many of you can afford $2,000 + ECU systems, but have fun guys... If you think you are going to be able to compete with the Motecs of the world with your "Mega-Squirt" or whatever, you're dillusional... There is a reason why Motecs are $2,000+ and Mega-Squirts are "do-it-yourself"... Have fun... "off the shelf" can be equated to "also-ran"... Your "bolt-in" ECU systems just aren't going to cut it guys... not anymore than the Wolf units could against a Motec... Have Fun...

I want to appologize to those of you who were assured by me and others about the direction IT was headed a couple of years ago... it seems, at the moment, that I was wrong... The reassurances I gave have proven to be wrong now, and it seems that it's only a matter of time before IT is swallowed up and combined with Production, or GT, or wherever sedans go these days when they cost twice as much to race competitively...

If there are any rational racers left out there, you need to get a letter to the BOD IMMEDIATELY and get them to STOP this non-sense before it's too late... You still have a voice and it's up to you to preserve your class... "they" aren't going to do it for you...

Good Luck...

For reference, it cost us over $10,000 for a customized unit that didn't really give us comlete control over all the functions we really wanted.
    [/b]
    EXCELLENT... PERFECT... It's all fixed and "fair" now... NOW EVERYONE get's to go through this!

Nice job!
    Darin E. Jordan
    Renton, WA

OPEN ECUs???

. There is a reason why Motecs are $2,000+ and Mega-Squirts are "do-it-yourself"... Have fun... "off the shelf" can be equated to "also-ran"... Your "bolt-in" ECU systems just aren't going to cut it guys... not anymore than the Wolf units could against a Motec... Have Fun...

[/b]
    Devils advocate hat on...

Performance increase-wise.............
    With Motec installations being quoted at $10,000.00, what does the buyer get?
    With a Wolf installation, costing, say, $2,500, what does a buyer get?
    With a Bosch ECU that costs $15,000 plus installation and tuning, what does a buyer get?

In other words, is there a linear ratio? Is a $2500 system only going to deliver 25% of the return of a $10,000 system?

Regarding input-

People spoke of this rule allowing them to come closer to those who could fit the $10K solution...and they were fine with the fact that they would not equal that system. Input indicated that the freedom to chose the level of performance that suited their time and financial concerns was important to them.

I don't think anybody thinks that a Megasquirt is going to outrun a Motec.

But people did have issues that there were cars out there running Motecs AND Megasquirts, but many were excluded due to verbiage.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com