Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: August Fastrack out!

http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/07-f...ugust-final.pdf

Effective 1/1/08: Change section 9.1.3.D.1.a.6 and add a new section 7 as follows:

<strike>6. Fuel injected cars may alter or replace the engine management computer, or ECU, provided that all modifications are done within the original OEM ECU housing. Only the stock (unmodified) OEM ECU connection to the wiring harness may be used. The allowance to modify the ECU in no way permits the addition of wiring, sensors, or piggybacked computers outside of the OEM ECU housing. The stock (unmodified) wiring harness must be used. The installation of a resistor is allowed between the sensor and the OEM wiring harness. Adjustable fuel pressure regulators are permitted.
    </strike>

6. The engine management computer may be altered or replaced. A throttle position sensor and its wiring may be added or replaced. A MAP sensor and its wiring may be added. Other existing sensors, excluding the stock air metering device, may be substituted for equivalent units.

7. Wires and connectors in the engine wiring harness may be modified or replaced.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

:026: ITR here I come

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Wow so its anything goes huh... That&#39;s interesting!
    Jeremy Billiel

Does this open the way for MegaSquirt and MegaSpark?
    Dave Webb
    Bare Bones Racing
    '84 VW GTI
    #17 ITB

Does this open the way for MegaSquirt and MegaSpark?
    [/b]
    Thats the way I read it. Full Motec&#39;s, Hondatas, AEM, etc...
    Jeremy Billiel

Wow so its anything goes huh... That&#39;s interesting! [/b]

The way the rule is written now, anything goes if you want to pay to stuff your stock ecu with a ems. Now it more cost effective.

The way the rule is written now, anything goes if you want to pay to stuff your stock ecu with a ems. Now it more cost effective.
    [/b]
    This is true
    Jeremy Billiel

but what about going from CIS(vw) to electronic injectors?
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

get out your checkbooks.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

[/b]
    won&#39;t there be a performance increase due to the new sensor rules.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

but what about going from CIS(vw) to electronic injectors?
    [/b]
    I don&#39;t know about this stuff at all, and I will have to learn... I have herd that several conversions have been done to CIS equiped Audi&#39;s (outside of SCCA IT racing) and have made substaintial gains in HP...

with a little $$$ or a lot of $$$$$ I think we might be able to investigate this and keep the Germans at the top of ITB

Raymond "Dave, your in trouble even more now" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

won&#39;t there be a performance increase due to the new sensor rules.
    [/b]

No.

Re: CIS injection
    As I understand it the CIS is a mechanical injection setup...

I would assume that even though you are now allowed to make changes to the electronics, changing injectors would not be legal. So how would one then legally convert anything that isn&#39;t already electronically injected?
    Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div
    www.ludwigmotorsports.com

The way I read it, carburators and mechanical injection systems remain, but you can replace any computer and wiring.

Also, a lot of gains I have seen on street cars (CIS-E 16V VWs is my experience) were due to removing the more restrictive air meter system. However the way I read this, regardless of what sysetm you run, you would retain the original air metering device, whether it is telling the new computer anything or not.

So if I swap my Golf over to Digifant to take advantage of this rule, I will still be pulling air through a 2 x 2 flapper door in the VW intake system.

I don&#39;t expect huge gains, but maybe more flexibility, and more importantly no rusty CIS fuel injector lines under my hood.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

This is stupid. Last winter it was rebuild the cage so I could gut the doors. This winter it&#39;s take the fuel management system off the Production car and put it on the IT car. We are going to rule-creep ourselves to death just like production did. Can&#39;t we learn from the past?

Charlie Broring

If I read this right I can also add a magnetic "sensor" to trigger the spark off the crankshaft too, just like on my production car.

OK, guys, chew on this one...."air metering device" cannot be changed. I don&#39;t know about your car, but my car has a butterfly device to meter air to the motor. That being said, can we do away with the air flow meter? Food for thought :026: Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

The way I read it You have to LEAVE the Trap door Air meter in place but can use a MAP Sensor to control fuel delivery. However, those of us who use CIS or carbs have to stick with what we have. No biggie I have CIAS working well for me.
    Jeff Linfert
    Atlantic Auto Works
    We Install and Tune Megasquirt Systems
    #97 GTL Scirocco (for sale)
    ABA Corrado powered by MS3. 40+ MPG

I think the air metering verbiage should be more clear.

**edit: I read it as including for some reason, nevermind, that is very clear.

THIS might change my attitude about the cost/benefit of doing anything besides plugging in a new chip. Cameron is going to be thrilled. The dyno guy is going to be extra thrilled.

K

If I read this right I can also add a magnetic "sensor" to trigger the spark off the crankshaft too, just like on my production car.
    [/b]
    I&#39;m no rules nerd, but I seem to recall that there&#39;s a separate rule about requiring the same type of spark trigger - if it&#39;s in the distributor stock, it must stay there; if stock runs a crank trigger, then you&#39;re home free.

Yes/no?
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com