I do find it interesting that people think the new ECU rule will cost people more money. Those who are going to spend money to go fast have likely already gone out and spend considerable funds on a custom ECU that would work with the stock harness and case. For reference, it cost us over $10,000 for a customized unit that didn't really give us comlete control over all the functions we really wanted. Dyno time was considerable especially as the first few units weren't correct and motors either wouldn't start or wouldn't run. But it was the only game in town within the rules. We aren't alone, many had to do the same thing if they weren't willing to run the stock unit. Now there is a far wider range of units available, and for 1/10th to 1/5th the price, including dyno time. It cost money to have a chance of running at the front, this rule actually makes it possible for others to catch up at far less expense than others incurred previously.

to satisfy my own curiosity, what's the benefit of triggering spark from the crank rather than conventional methods?
[/b]
Travis, years ago we dyno tested 5 different motors. All gave the same overall result: if the "standard" ignition system was optomized and functioning properly, there was no real gain (anything less than 2% generally is considered no gain as it often can't be repeated from one dyno session to the next, even with a computerized dyno such as the Superflow 901 we used). Our experience is that it's easier to live with because it's more reliable. But as a matter of real power gain, not if your current parts are correct and you've tuned it as well as possible (only possible to do this on a dyno in my opinion).