There you go - the problem is always "the other class."[/b]
Well... yes. For the most part interference is caused when the faster cars in the slower class get mixed in with the slower cars of the faster class - or to be more specific, when the faster slower class cars get mixed in with the middle of the faster class car. (Reason - most of the slower faster cars KNOW they are slow or are mechanicals and get out of the way. The middle of the faster class tends to be guys who THINK they are fast... but if they are so darn fast... how come a slower car is hanging with them?)

Sometimes the problem goes both ways, but my experience is that it generally is caused by a small set of one of the classes in a two-class group.

Red mist and bumping are separate issues, that should be dealt with separately. Creating a procedural rule to enable butthole behaviors isn't solving the problem.[/b]
Agree. It doesn't solve the problem. It deals with it. Solving the problem requires stewards that act on their own or a combination of drivers willing to protest and stewards unwilling to write most everything off as a racing incident. Stewards don't want to act because then they are the blackhats. Drivers don;t want to protest because then they are the blackhats. Splitting the sheep and the cattle avoids the problem.

So because a Miata, by its layout, weight, drivetrain, etc., is faster in corners than, say, a Nissan Sentra SE-R, the guy behind the wheel is automagically a better driver?[/b]
Well, I find that being in a Miata automagically causes you to lose good judgement . The comparison isn't appropriate because those two cars are in the same class according to the GCR. If we're talking about a Miata ITA) and an ITR Integera, yeah, I'd say the Miata driver is a better driver. I've seen ITC cars hit healthy ITS cars in the back under acceleration... the C driver shouldn't do that but, then again, he should be ABLE to do that.

You're making value judgements based on where cars have relative advantages, and essentially suggesting that the fast-in-a-straight-line cars are being piloted by people with less talent than the fast-in-a-corner cars. I'm going out on a limb here but I'm GUESSING you consider yourself to be in the latter group, eh?[/b]
No value judgement on where cars have relative advantages. A value judgment on whether a healthy ITS or ITR car should be getting in the way of an ITB or ITC car. And no, I don't consider myself in the latter group - I'm still on the steep part of the learning curve.