In the northeast, ITS and ITB usually run together. Usually the group is about 12-18 ITS cars, 8-12 ITB cars (others jump in if I am wrong here, but I don't gather it matters). There has been some low level grumblings about the two classes having to run together. Unfortunately, I think its a fact of life, based on car counts & track availabilty but that doesn't mean we can't try to improve on it.

The grumbles revolve (mostly) around fast B cars feeling the slower S cars get in the way. Having been 'that guy' I am curious how a split start would help or hurt this. From what I have experienced, its easy to tell that the car that has spent the last two laps reeling you in is faster & deserves to get by. But on a start, is that B car faster than you or are you together because of circumstance? This was especially true this past weekend w/ a wet qualifier & mostly dry race.

Split starts will not solve the problem of what to do when two slow S cars are going at it and two fast B cars catch up. But nothing is perfect, we will just have to play together & hope for the best.

I've only seen split starts used once or twice, when SM first started they ran SM and ITA together giving the ITA cars a half a lap head start via a second pace car. Problems I can see is that once the front group goes green, there is no ability to do a wave off if the second group starts running over each other.

Do other regions use split starts on a regular basis & if so what is the outcome?

Matt