Thread: Diff and Tranny Lube for 2nd gen?

I haven't raced my 2nd gen ITS RX7 in a while and I can't remember what to use for the diff and tranny. I have a 512 LSD from ISC Racing. Is Redline MT90 ok for my diff or should I use 75W 90 in both?

Try http://www.swepcousa.com The only gear lube for Mazdas.

I haven't raced my 2nd gen ITS RX7 in a while and I can't remember what to use for the diff and tranny. I have a 512 LSD from ISC Racing. Is Redline MT90 ok for my diff or should I use 75W 90 in both?
    [/b]
    I use MT90 in the trans and 75/90 Mobile 1 in the diff. Never lost one yet-(knocking on wood as I speak).
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

[/b]
    HMMMMM? Dick I could not help but notice you are located in Texas and so is this company . Whatever gear lube you decide on use antiseize on the drain and filler plugs . T Weaver The specs on the gear lube do look good
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

MT90 tranny, Mobil 1 synthetic 75-90 diff, just went from Mobil 1 15-50 to Idemitsu 20-50 for motor last oil change. I change them after every long weekend (3 hours or so), not sure if that is necessary though. The rear is the 5.12 with clutch pack, not torsen.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

Do NOT put MT-90 in that diff. I use Mobil 1 75W90 in both.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Cool thanks

[/b]
    Dick am I missing something? I didn't see a GL-4 lubricant. For sure in the tranny you want a GL-4 lube.

I've used Amsoil for many years. They make a GL-4 for trans, several GL-5's for the rear end, and a 20/50 racing high end engine oil, all synthetic.
    Some seem to have problems with Redline in the tranny, I've used MT90 lots of times with no issues. For sure don't use MT or MT90 in the rear end as Eagle7 said. Mobil one is used by many but I'm an old Amsoil dealer (since 1981) so I stay as loyal as practicle.
    I know Jim Susko has a tranny oil he swears by, can't recall the name it could be a swepco product.
    Paul Pineider
    ITA 05 (Soudiv)

Swepco is the only gear lube I've ever used that will not eat "sinkrows" in a mazda tranie. Try it / you'll like it!

I use Valvoline synthetic 75/90 and get it direct from a Valvoline oil change store for $4/qt. !
    Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

since our equipment is pretty similar from miata to rx7 i'll drop in my data point.

i think M1 75/90 is safe to use in both gearbox and diff....though i really don't have any data to back that up.

i did pick up 8qts of MTL for miata transmissions on sale at advance auto parts for $5/qt that will probably get swapped in before year end.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

I am currently using Amsoil 75/90 in the trans and Amsoil 75/140 in the rear end. I have also used Mobile 1, Royal Purple and Valveoline Synthetic. I've always used a heavier wt lube in the rear end. I switched to Amsoil when I started to notice more wear in the rearend. So far so good!
    Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17

Actually we have been using the Red Line Heavy Duty Shock proof for both Trans and diff. Here is link to info http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlub...16&categoryID=6 T Weaver
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Swepco is the only gear lube I've ever used that will not eat "sinkrows" in a mazda tranie. Try it / you'll like it! [/b]
    Dick, please elaborate. I seem to get about 2 years out of a trannie before the synchros are shot. What's your experience with Swepco and with other brands? Which Swepco lube do you use? I see they have internet ordering, but no prices - what does it cost?

Thanks,

Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

5 gal of Swepco was given to me by a Porsche shop in Denver 15 years ago. Before that synchos would last from one to five races max in our GT-2 Rx-7. After the switch, we never had any more problems, and replacement was only at overhaul, when necessary of the tranie. Porsche people really like it, to a point of Swepco, or park it. As to the type, well I put it in to smaller cans, and dumped the orginal can. Sorry. Talk to Swepco. I'm sure they know what the racers use. Its like that black lube that Ford used to sell for Detroit Lockers. Nothing else worked as good and now Ford quit selling it. I'm sure Swepco could cover it though.

The issue is one that has been discussed before, here and in other places. Gear lube made for LSD's are
    GL-5 grade lubricants. They are designed for the exceptionaly intense shear forces in the differential. They also include a special LSD additive package for the most part. This is what is causing the wear to your syncros. Were basically over lubricating our transmissions when we use most GL-5 lubes in them. The syncros require a little more friction. I'm going to give the swepco product a try, right now I'm using this http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/mtg.aspx this is a new product for Amsoil, before that I was using Redline MT.
    Paul Pineider
    ITA 05 (Soudiv)