Thread: Diff Drain Plug and Filler Plug Info??

Angry

Ok Drain plug is Frozen(95 D) stuck any suggestions on removal I know we should not have rounded it off. and what the Hell is the correct size for the drain and filler plugs <_< I ASS U ME they are freakin metric
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

***I know we should not have rounded it off.***

Tom, I like this WE ^ $hit. Did it take two of you or more to turn the wrench at one time ? What you do now that it&#39;s rounded is you take the friken wrench that didn&#39;t do it&#39;s job, ya stick the male wrench into the rounded female orifice, ya weld the friken wrench to the rounded orifice & after you turn the female plug out you throw the plug with welded tool to the wind.

Curious question, when you use a torque wrench to tighten something do you rotate the torque wrench untill it meets the torque & then give the torque wrench just a little more turn ?

Just funnen with ya Tom, WE all do DUMB $hit with zero thought to the consequsences.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

***I know we should not have rounded it off.***

Tom, I like this WE ^ $hit. Did it take two of you or more to turn the wrench at one time ? What you do now that it&#39;s rounded is you take the friken wrench that didn&#39;t do it&#39;s job, ya stick the male wrench into the rounded female orifice, ya weld the friken wrench to the rounded orifice & after you turn the female plug out you throw the plug with welded tool to the wind.

Curious question, when you use a torque wrench to tighten something do you rotate the torque wrench untill it meets the torque & then give the torque wrench just a little more turn ?

Just funnen with ya Tom, WE all do DUMB $hit with zero thought to the consequsences.
    [/b]
    I think the driver had something to do with installation Try and keep him away from car as much as possible. When He is in GRP 1 we have no trouble keeping away from the car
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Tom,
    Those stock plugs are pretty soft. Have you tried tapping a slightly smaller socket onto the rounded plug? It might do it.

good luck..

Here&#39;s what works on a stripped square plug.

One of those cheesy "as seen on TV" Gator lock sockets with all the little pins inside will grab that rounded square plug. I found one at Home Depot, it comes with an equally "cheesy" socket wrench for something like $15. I bought mine at Home Depot out of desperation and lo and behold it worked (that&#39;s why I put the quotes around cheesy, because it worked).

Before that, I tried vice grips, blue tipped wrench, liquid wrench, ice, you name it.

Hopefully you can still find one of those, when I bought it a couple of years ago, it was at the bottom of a shelf gathering dust.

When I did that, my beer induced thinking told me to walk to the hardware sore, buy a 5/8 in drill bit and drill it out. Then I took a dremel and cut the sides to get it out. Of course I then realized that I had to at least remove the ring and pinion to get all the shavings out. And of course by the time you do that, you think to yourself jeeze 5 more bolts and you could have removed the axle housing and removed it on the bench
    Hillbilly Motorsports
    Just 'Cuz were willing to try it,
    doesn't mean we know what we're doing!

The Saga Closes :026: Got the "Cheesy" wrenches although the large one isn&#39;t light weight by any means but since they push over the (by now) perfectly rounded plug they would not work . SOOO borrow a welder and operator welded a unplated bolt on to plug (keeping the housing cool) in less than a minute the plug was out. . New plug with antiseize intalled an torque to specs. Headed to the Glen tomorrow for the July Sprints

Buy an 8 point 9/16ths socket and leave it in the toolbox. Never found a fill plug it would round off. Killed them with anything else.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)