Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All wheel drive, revisited...

I remember not too long ago someone raising the issue that if AWD cars were allowed in IT, people would build 'wet' AWD cars and bring them to the track along w/ their 'dry' cars. Can't believe no one has thrown that one back up.

Damn, ran out of popcorn again! :026:

Put'em in R, give it a try. It isn't like we're writing the Constitution for a country or anything. Put them in there, make adjustments as needed so they don't run all over the field. Somehow professional and other amateur race organizations manage to make it work, the best of the best, the SCCA cannot? I'm sure it can be done. Pick one popular car, start there, see how it goes. Subaru RS, the naturally aspirated 4 pot AWD?

R

I remember not too long ago someone raising the issue that if AWD cars were allowed in IT, people would build 'wet' AWD cars and bring them to the track along w/ their 'dry' cars. Can't believe no one has thrown that one back up.

Damn, ran out of popcorn again! :026:
    [/b]
    Well. Who cares? That guy will out spend us no matter the rules, and will beat a lot of us along the way. His cousin will outspend us also, but can't drive and will still be beat by spec miatas in the rain.

I know the danger is in unintended consequences, but seriously, people can build 'wet' cars now. Why not have a rwd A car for dry and a CRX for wet? I myself built a wet car for ITB, but I race it in the dry all the time. :P
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

... Put them in there, make adjustments as needed so they don't run all over the field. ...[/b]
    What are you going to use to make adjustments? Race results? Fast laps? From what track? In what weather conditions? With whom driving? What tires? Budget?

Seriously.

Jake was right on earlier when he pointed out that the math has to be done in the most common conditions and let the cards fall where they will on any given race weekend. Either that or don't classify them.

K

What are you going to use to make adjustments? Race results? Fast laps? From what track? In what weather conditions? With whom driving? What tires? Budget?

Jake was right on earlier when he pointed out that the math has to be done in the most common conditions and let the cards fall where they will on any given race weekend. Either that or don't classify them.

K
    [/b]
    Agreed, I figured it'd draw that response and rightly so.

I agree with the latter statement. Class them, conservatively and in common conditions, and see how it works out. I'm sure that something could be worked out here to get some AWD cars in the SCCA grassroots IT classes.

R