Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: July 4th Results

Okay - fill us in for the IT results. I heard something about drifters on the track - let's have the blow by blow.

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

1997 EMRA Vanderbilt Cup TT ST-3 Champion

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

CPM Motorsports Cars - '87 Civic Si - ITA #11, '86 CRX- ITC #11, '95 Integra - ITA #11
    [email protected]

Carol Miller, "Take A Breath"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/carolmiller

Tim,
    Great idea to stay home!!!

One word....slippery!

A:
    Benazic
    Joe
    Amy
    Bettencourt

S:
    Driscoll
    Henderson
    Maynard

B:
    Opal GT
    Gran

ITA race had some carnage. Von Oy, Chandler (Sorry Bud, I feel for you.), and some mechanicals Hunter, Lawton, in general tough conditions.

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

joe was awesome! we were drifting like nobodys buisness. andy tried real hard to fight us off, but he had no way to put the power down. a constant rain from group 1 on.
    Rick Benazic
    All Star Sheet Metal inc.

ITS Honda prelude #06

Not only did Joe drift, he also did some rally. Woooooooooo Duke Boyin' it through the left hander.

What a disapointing day for myself. I got there, unloaded and everything was fine. Went to start the car to head down for qualifying the damn car wouldn't start. Turned out to be a bad coil wire. Got it sorted out and headed down just as the ITB field was coming off track and heading to impound. After watching the ITA drift fest and SRF spin fest I said screw it, I'll put in for a refund and race another day when it's not raining.

Z
    LoBuk ITB CRX Si
    2007 NASA H5 National Champion
    2006 NASA H5 National Champion
    2005 ECHC H5 Champion

Joe and Rick... Best race!!! Joe waited till he had to make a move, made the move and made it stick going into big bend on the last lap... then lost it all in the rallycross though the left hander, but he did hold on to a very healthy 2nd place!!! The rest of the ITA race was settled based on whom could stay on track...

Mike Reece, best drive if only for 4 laps. he was on dry's against everyone else in B on rain tires. Was up as high as Grans back bumper when he went in to hot to big bend... came back through the field only to get sideways in the left hander and loose it going onto noname... hit the wall headon. Scary scary sight. Workers were running, and all of a sudden he drove off!!! I was amaized!!! but he didn't make it around and either went off again or pulled of. Not sure, but man I can say that he friggen drove like a crazyman and was at least a hero in my book for a few laps!!! lol Dave was amaizingly fast in qualifying along with a few other Hondas. Dave held off the lead for a long long time but Jim in the Opal was stuck to the track like glue and had a great drive to win his first race of the season. Watch out for Dave, I think this is the car to beat!!!

ITS was great as well with the Autotechnic drivers flying through traffic, making some of the best moves I have witnessed in a long time, pro or not. Maynard held in right behind waiting for a mistake that never happened.

Overall drive of the weekend goes to Greg Amy in DP. He lapped all but 2 cars in the "Big Bore" group and the last 2 cars would have been lapped within 1 or possibly 2 laps... Friggen awsome to see all the GT1 cars loose a lap to an "IT" car within 15 laps

All in all great racing and a lot of fun, I wonder what this has done to the points in NERRC and NARRC!!!

Raymond "who one the drifting competition?" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Overall drive of the weekend goes to Greg Amy in DP. He lapped all but 2 cars in the "Big Bore" group and the last 2 cars would have been lapped within 1 or possibly 2 laps... Friggen awsome to see all the GT1 cars loose a lap to an "IT" car within 15 laps

[/b]

I'm certainly not one who likes to boost Greg's ego more than it already is, but......... That was the most entertaining race of the day. Those big bore guys should be embarrased!! And what really cracked us up was to see the GT1 winner actually take the victory lap with the checkered flag!! He just lost to an ITA car with 155 HP by 50 seconds and he's going to take a victory lap???? BWAAHAAHAA

Joe and Rick had a hell of a race. Real clean but boy, did they drive hard!!

The three ITS BMWs where great to watch in the rain. With rear wheel drive, they did amazing.......

Thumbs up to Dave Gran in his new Kessler powered Honda. Great driving especially since he hasn't raced in a year!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Always the brides maid never the bride. Timmy you missed a good one.

All I have to say is I have never seen someone spin out so many times and save it HOLY CRAP. I still can't figure out how Rick kept that car on the black stuff at times. Awesome job Rick. I can't wait to watch the video to see how many times you saved it in the race.

[/b]
    I will agree that was some of the funniest s@$t I have ever seen. I was joking with Greg on the radio on the pace lap that if he didn't get an overall win that he really sucked. Well to mine and his disbelief he did it.
    Congrats Mr AMY, rains not all that bad is it?
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]
    www.kesslerengineering.com (Matt's the man)
    First non CRX at IT Fest 2009 2nd place overall
    2008 ITA NARRC & NYSRRC Champion

Well all and all another very fun day at the track. Yesterday was my over the hump day and it seems as though I am no longer a rookie.

You see, I could never sleep the night before, I was worried about every stupid little thing, I was worried about wrecking the car, I was worried about hitting someone else, I was worried about driving in the rain... The list goes on! (i.e why Joe nominated me for biggest WUSS in the previous thread).

With that said, for the first time I actually slept well the night before and I came to the track excited and looking to have fun instead of being worried and nervous! Wow what a great feeling!

I had looked at the DL1 data and had a clear goal in mind and a game plan on how to accomplish it. I re-ran each lap in my head and I was going to get faster and grow some balls.

Qualifying quickly came and boy things came faster, I mean I was braking later into big bend, I was using less brake in the uphill and westbend. This is FUN!!! Well, until I pushed it a little too far and performed my first spin in the lefthander. I quickly put 2 feet in and no harm no foul. As I was waiting to get back on the the track I was thinking to myself, hey that wasn't so scarry! I was always so petrified about spinning and damaging the car that I was afraid to find "the limit". Well I just found the limit.

After Qual, I didn't take tire temps or pressures, I jumped out of the car with my CF card in my hand, put it in the computer and DAMN it says I ran a 1:02.9 SHIT! My fastest lap previously was a 1:05.9. AWESOME! So I went around bragging like a little school girl and boy was Joe and Jeff pissed! LOL

Oh and the add insult to injury my theroretical best lap was a 1:00.2. Holy Crap!

Well come to find out the DL1 had a little glitch of some kind. Usually the DL1 is within .1 seconds of the real deal. Oh well, so I am not that good after all. My Qual was a 1:04.4, which is still 1.5 seconds faster than my previous best so I was still a little happy, but bummed none the less. Qualified 11th overall

The race came and so did the rain. I only had one very large problem. I don't have rain tires!!! The weather man said it wasn't going to rain until 6 PM! Lawton felt bad for me, so I bolted up his dirt stockers and man I was back to being nervous, but not nearly that bad. I have run the rain line at LRP before when I did Skippy in the pouring rain so I was feeling OK. To wrap this up, I had a couple of offs and a couple of moments, but the car is in one piece and it was a huge success. I got the results and was surprised to see my name 10th overall and 5th in class! How did that happen?

Thanks to all my buddies who beat me on the board, but its all in good fun as I have learned a ton so far.

Jeremy - Who is going to look at the video again and look at the DL1 data in more detail.

Another big congrats to Joe, Greg and Dave for some well deserved finishes!!! I think I need some Kessler Engineering Horsepower!

And Jeff you get a "good effort" award for getting your family to come to the track only for you to have your serpentine belt break. Heck I still can't get my wife to come to the track.
    Jeremy Billiel

Was Doug there taking pictures?
    Jeremy Billiel

What a day! The night before the event I learned my sister would be coming to the event. I couldn’t help but think how the only time she’s come to one of my races was when I totaled my car last June. I know I shouldn’t have been thinking that, but…

During qualifying my dash lap timer displayed some mid 1:04s; I questioned whether that was really accurate or not. It didn’t feel like I was going very fast, but I guess that’s often when you are. It was so cool getting behind a few of the other ITB cars bumpers on the straight and actually be able to pull them. Go Kessler power!! I was very pleased to see my qualifying times which were much better than I ever did with the old Bondo sponsored Prelude.

Leading up to the rain race, Jeremy and I half joked about packing it up. I kept thinking about the hundreds of hours I and others spend working on this darn car and how easily I could destroy the car in the rain. Then I thought, Jeremy is positioned right behind me in the race. How much would it suck if we took each other out on the start! I was actually very happy to have him right behind me knowing that I didn’t have to worry about him doing anything stupid. Leading up to the start, for the life of me I couldn’t see the starter. Eventually I saw the green waiving. It seems like a radio system would be a good investment someday. We got through turn one clean, which I had some concerns about. I was psyched to have held Richie off! Not long into the race I saw Jim and his Opel behind me. Great. I was able to hold him off for a few laps, but he was just too darn fast and his car just seemed planted to the track. Following him I did learn a few things especially how fast the downhill can be taken even in the rain. There were a few hairy moments during the race especially once in the uphill where I sincerely thought I was going to stuff it into the wall. After getting out of that somehow, I decided it would be much smarter to ease off a bit and have a car after the event. Besides, Jim was flying and passing him would have been almost impossible. I also have to say that lap traffic was great to work with and accomodating for both of us.

The ITA race was a blast to watch. Andy did a nice job trying to hold them off, but FWD… :P I was disappointed to see Jeff Lawton become plagued by mechanical issues especially since his family came to this event. I feel for ya buddy! He qualified third and thought he’d be in the hunt for sure. Crazy Joe is just, well, crazy! With one lap to go and him in the lead, he momentary lost it in the left hander which was just enough to let Rick by. Nice second place Joe.

Hey “Rain Man” Greg, our first rain races!! That wasn’t so bad, except for the several feelings of death during the race.

Ray, I’m thinking that this year I should be able to give you and your bro a run for your money. This is gonna be fun! I am so taking the rest of the week off from working on the car. Then it’s time to get ready for Ohio.

I owe a very special thanks to Matt Kessler, Grant McStay, and my wife. Things would have been MUCH different without all of your help. I appreciate it.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Big props to Joe and Rick. I basically blocked them for two laps hoping for warmer tires and dry line, but neither came. When I pointed Joe by, they both checked out. Nice job!

I gave Greg third when I ventured onto the traditional line in the braking zone in T1. Went off the escape road, saw the whites of Jeff's eyes and then watched Greg drive through Big Bend with only 2 to go. Nothing I could do. Rick saw how hard it was for me to get power down, I was lucky to be in 4th, nevermind 3rd.

Another tweak to the suspension (V.5) had us running strong in qualifying but that didn't translate well to the wet, even with disconnected bars and 'soft' shocks. Rick and Joe were just too good yesterday. Wished I could have seen the battle more but they dusted me. AWESOME!

I think Christian Chandler was coming for me as well but he broke...I am sure Jeff would have been all over me after he settled in too. On to NHIS!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I think Christian Chandler was coming for me as well but he broke...[/b]
    Broke is an understatement!!! Ha, ha......

I was gunnin' for ya' Andy Figured it was my only chance this year to finish with you in my mirrors. Unfortunately, I was collected by a spinner on the turn 3 exit (just after you passed him). As a spectator on the hill said, "He looked like a chipmunk crossing the road. You had no chance"

Spent the first couple of hours this morning on the front end. And the shopping list: Frame straightening, tie rod, lower control arm, fender, hood, bumper & cover, headlight assembly, misc. plastic parts, and probably more.

Looks like I'll miss NHIS, but I suck there so no great loss.

Fast rain laps put in by Joe and Rick, you guys rock.

Greg, Nice DP race.
    I'll take that beer anytime...............
    Christian J. Chandler
    BMW 318is
    #26 ITA
    JiM Power

Congrats Mr AMY, rains not all that bad is it?[/b]
    Nope, I had a BLAST. My first phase of the day's experience is up on the web site; phase two and photos will come later today and tonight:

http://www.kakashiracing.com/reports/2007lrp3a.html

BTW, Jeff, I didn't beat the GT-1 car by 50 seconds; I lapped him. Margin of victory over second place was 1:17.306; the MoV over the GT-1 was one lap plus 13 seconds. If I'd only had one more lap I coulda had the entire field...

I hadn't planned on asking the corner workers to stay out on station by taking a victory lap if I won DP, but I simply could NOT pass this one up...besides, I got the impression they enjoyed that session as much as I did!

Hey “Rain Man” Greg, our first rain races!! That wasn’t so bad, except for the several feelings of death during the race.[/b]
    I hear you, brother; I was right there with you... - GA

My reactions-

1- Being a spectator can be fun, esp when it rains, but being a spectator when it rains sucks for me...when the car is in peices.

2- Dave Gran, way to go bud! First, no offense, but you're no Mr Mechanic (NOR am I, LOL), but your brand new car sailed thru tech and hit every session and was on pole! yowza, Great start! Then you drove a great and smart race...your FIRST rain race! and took home a solid second, and truth be known, first was on better tires.
    Big "Attaboy"s due to you. Your Dad looked very pleased as he video'ed you in impound.

3- Chris Chandler. Tough break...from my vantage point on the tower, it looked like the black car just kept rolling, after you made the "LEFT??? RIGHT??? RIGHT?!?!" decision. I know how that sucks. I was surprised though with the amount of carnage on your car...definite trip to a good frame shop will help though.

4- Joe, Joe, Joe, sigh, I thought you had your first. You were turning great laps though.
    4.5 - Jeff...great run, you'll get over the mech stuff and have your day.

5- When I was in tech after ITA, they weighed Ricks car, but Joe, Andy, and Greg were nowhere to be found. Were they DQ'ed? Of course, NObody else was there either, so....what happened with that?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

5- When I was in tech after ITA, they weighed Ricks car, but Joe, Andy, and Greg were nowhere to be found. Were they DQ'ed? Of course, NObody else was there either, so....what happened with that?[/b]
    Scott Dowd met us at the entryway to B Paddock and told us to go away...no post-race impound. - GA

I just got done unpacking the truck and trailer. Man this gets VERY OLD.... Next year come hell or high water I have to figure out a way to buy an enclosed. Seriously this is just rediculous.

Jeremy - who is going to look at racingjunk.com right now.
    Jeremy Billiel

Scott Dowd met us at the entryway to B Paddock and told us to go away...no post-race impound. - GA
    [/b]
    There was a medical emergency (non injury) in the vicinity of tech. Most likely that was why you were sent away.
    Jason Benagh
    Steward - NER SCCA
    ITB 1995 VW Golf

First and foremost I want to apologize again to Christian for the incident after the left hander. Thanks for coming over and sharing your in-car video with me. If I hadn't seen that, I would have swore that I kept both feet in until I stopped, but the video doesn't lie. I learned a hard lesson and I'm sorry you had to be a part of it. This was only my third weekend on a track and the first time in the rain, so I had a very hard time trying to learn to drive in the wet.

I didn't realize how much slower it would be in the wet. I felt like I was going so slow that I would be a hazard on the track when people came flying up behind me, so I was pushing myself too hard. In hindsight, I should have just taken it down a notch and spent some time getting comfortable on a wet track.

Overall I had a great weekend, learned a lot, and had lots of fun.

Looks like the car will need some frame pulling, control arms, trailing arm, new strut, rear quarter, and we'll see what else.
    Jeremy
    ITA Integra #77

Was Doug there taking pictures?
    [/b]

Sure was. I got some great action (see front page of ner.org). I am in RI without broadband so I can't upload the rest yet.
    Doug
    NER.org webmaster (retired)
    the16v.com Photography
    briansgarage.com

[/b]
    Interesting, he met Dick Patullo at the B paddock entrance and asked him to man tech, but I didn't hear that part. Glad it worked out..the other guy in tech said they were going to be DQ'ed
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com