Thread: push button start

i just swapped the head on my 86 scirocco 8v IT/FSP car. now the thing won't start, i mean to say that the starter itself will not engage. before i changed the head it started ok. the key is broken off in the ignition(and has been) making me think that the ignition switch is bad.

has anyone here installed a push button starter?-- i want to bypass the ignition switch altogether.

which wires to use? i hate messing with wiring

I think if you do a search you will find what you are looking for. there are a lot of guys running push button starters on their IT cars.

Talk to Bill from Bildon motorsports. I bought one of his ITB GTI's and it has a push to start set up. Very nicely done and clean.

Marc Rider

do you have a test light? the push button needs power, if none, phe prob is between the button and power source.
    if it has power and when you push it both sides should be hot if only one side is hot its a switch. if both sides are hot prob is between the switch and starter. there should only be 2 wires in the system.
    check for engine grounds, I have melted throttle cables before, because i forgot them...
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

This is off the top of my head so you might want to double check.
    Their are 5 wires
    Brrown - Ground
    Red - Always Hot(from battery)
    Black - Switched 12v (when the ignition is on, it gets current)
    Brown/Yellow - To Starter
    Red(maybe orange/Black - not exactly sure think it has to do with fuel pump.

For your push button start you need the solid red wire on one side and the borwn/yellow on the other. The Brown/Yellow is the one that goes to the starter solenoid.

You could probably also connect the black instead of the red, since the ignition needs to be on inorder to start, and if the button ever got bumped when the car wasn't on it wouldn't engage the starter.

thanks for the input, i tried crossing wires on the ignition switch and got the same clicking sound,

i think the solenoid is toast! gonna try the pushbutton after replacing the starter.

Default push button start

Did you ever install the push button start? How did it go?