Thread: The Rock June 30-Jul1 ?

just recieved my july sportscar mag and it's showing that there is a race at the rock on jun30- jul1 and i was wondering is it still on and if so where is registration ? thank you.

According to the SE Division schedule, it was supposed to be a PDX/Carolina Cup but it has been cancelled.
    Mike Spencer
    NC Region
    ITA/7 RX-7 #60
    IT7R RX-7 #37 (build in process)
    1990 Classic Red Miata
    2004 "Winning Blue" RX-8

Thanks Mike for the info, darn

FWIW the track known as the rock will be going on the auction block this fall

Manny,

Just wondering where you heard that. Any additional information?

my first reaction was, "that must mean they're going to tear it down". But then, it doesn't have to.

Whoever owns it probably has ties to Nascar, and since the "cup" guys aren't using it anymore why keep it?

Just thinking out loud, but it's a fairly small town. Probably a fair amount of land available if you want to come in and build a factory or a shopping mall and you WOULDN'T have to tear down all that stuff before even starting.

On the other hand, it's North Carolina. Lots of roundy-round racers within towing distance. Maybe even some of them SCCA fellers....

Who knows? Plenty of entrepreneurs out there. This could be a good thing.
    Mike Spencer
    NC Region
    ITA/7 RX-7 #60
    IT7R RX-7 #37 (build in process)
    1990 Classic Red Miata
    2004 "Winning Blue" RX-8

Speedway Motorsports has been trying to sell for a while. Papers reported that they have not found a buyer at the price they want, and intend to auction the place off. Doubtful anyone will tear the place down, there is NOTHING within five miles of that place and if you were going to do a mall or a business woudl be much cheaper to buy empty land and develop it.

Someone could make some money with the place I think, running IRL, Busch, Trucks, test days the facility is in GREAT shape.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Worked a PCA event at Lowe's Speedway yesterday (how about THAT for a kick in the crotch!!) and the firemen posted at T1 (who are Lowe's employees) said that the current desire is for the guy who owns the dragstrip to buy the place. As far as NASCAR rules go, it's my understanding that testing is largely unlimited at tracks that aren't on the schedule. If you remember the situation in March, a Craftsman truck team (or two) had rented the track for testing and we couldn't get into the infield til about 17:30. Would love to see someone with racing in their blood buy the place so we can go back.

Scott Franklin
    ITA/IT& and SPU "Clown Car"
    F&C
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C