Thread: ITA miata 1.6 or 1.8??

Hi all,

I am looking for opinions on the choice between a 1.6 or 1.8 litre miata to run in ITA. I am currently running a VW GTI MK2 and want to try something different. In fact I am considering running in ITA in Canada and Spec Miata in the US. The difference for a 1.8 L would be to change the R&P and remove the restrictor plate to come up with a reasonably competitive car for ITA and change thangs back to "spec" for teh spec miata class on the relatively rare occasions that I run in the US.

Anyone?

TIA,

Jason

according to some people, the miata may not be legal to run in ITA next year,, can any one send me more info on this??

according to some people, the miata may not be legal to run in ITA next year...[/b]
    I have NO CLUE where you'd get something like this. TOTALLY not true. Now, it wouldn't break about 3 or 4 dozen hearts if the 1.8L were to get 105 or so pounds added to it, but it'll be in ITA next year, without a doubt.

Jason, where do you want to focus long-term: ITA or Spec Miata? If SM, then pick the right car for that class (whatever it is, this year). If ITA then the 1.8L is the one to have. For now. - GA

I have NO CLUE where you'd get something like this. TOTALLY not true. [/b]
    The only thing I can think of is someone TOTALLY misunderstanding the proposed SM to ITA legality proposal - which is now defunct.

Jason, where do you want to focus long-term: ITA or Spec Miata? If SM, then pick the right car for that class (whatever it is, this year). If ITA then the 1.8L is the one to have. For now. - GA [/b]
    I think the only full-tilt cars getting any exposure here on IT.com by the squeeky wheels are 1.8's. The 1.6 of Bowie G. will be at the ARRC and has won plenty this year. I think the jury is still out on what is best for ITA. Neither will win the ARRC but both could have their favorite tracks IMHO - like maybe the IT-Fest at Mid-Ohio or the "future" IT Sprints at WGI...
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

thanks andy and amy,, i have building this car for last year, its a 1800,, all according to ita rules,, i think i was mistaken when they were talking about spec miata not a miata,, thanks all

I'm with Andy, depending on what track you're at, the 1.6 or 1.8 may be the best choice. flat, high speed stuff where corner exit speeds can keep you relatively high in the revs, i'd take the 1.6.

tracks where corner exit starts going uphill, like Topeka or Road Atlanta, i'd take the 1.8.

for your situation, if you HAVE to have one car able to run both, the 1.8 is the obvious choice, as you can at least remove the restrictor required in SM.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

I've been told from a spec percspective that the 1.6L is best for the smaller tracks that I would be visiting such as Brainard, MN and Gimli, MB. Black Hawk may also be an option as well as Mosport. The 1.8L is best for track like Road Atlanta where there are extremely long straights. Hmmm.

Would the weight difference in a 1.6L make the difference in ITA on these smaller tracks to be "somewhat" competitive? I am leaning toward a 1.6L but I have not made up my mind. My home track is 1.3 miles and I am competing against CRXs and a Neon which are the front runners.

to be clear, brainered is NOT a small track. it's straight is a mile long and T1 is banked and probably flat-out. It would be a 3rd/4th/5th gear track. i'd say a 1.6 might do well there because of the top end. blackhawk i might choose a 1.8 at and use it's torque advantage.

if you're home track is 1.3 miles, i might consider the 1.6. i've never driven a 1.8 though, so i don't know if the weight penalty is enough to make the 1.6 noticeably more nimble.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

The only thing I can think of is someone TOTALLY misunderstanding the proposed SM to ITA legality proposal - which is now defunct.
    [/b]
    This is exactly what has happened. I've been fighting this misperception in CalClub for months now. One person went so far as to say he was going to sell his in-progress ITA Miata since it was no longer legal to run a Miata in ITA!!!!
    Never underestimate a man that owns a Sawzall and a welder.

I've owned both and I can tell you the 1.6 is easier to drive and turns MUCH better. With that said if you are going to run places where power is more important then the 1.8 has an advantage. On a 1.3 mile track, if it has some technical turns, the 1.6 should be the car. Weight makes a huge difference in this make of car as miatas compete by being able to outbreak other cars. Problem is once you get off the gas and then get back on it it seems everybody else is flying and you are walking. Most everybody I know who has raced miatas are much faster as a result of having no power when they race a higher HP car. I guess that may be true for other ITA cars too. (Be careful on this BB cause Miata folks are redheaded step children around here.)

And Greg, lay off the idea we need to get fatter ..... I was looking back at the ARRC site and saw that 1:43. I had forgotten how fast you were going. I thought I was flying at 1:46. That was a heck of a lap.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Mac did you drive the 1.6 SM vs the 1.8 SM, or a 1.6 ITA vs a 1.8 ITA? the suspensions are different in SM and you can't do much to change the characteristics the SM package builds in, but i would think you would be able to get a 1.8 ITA car to handle just about as good as a 1.6ITA car. it won't transition as well from the extra weight, but with the right spring/shock/bars, there shouldn't be the massive unavoidable understeer on the IT car that there is with the SM.

Sammy will set you up right before next week and you'll kick my butt.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

That is a good point about suspension help. Still I think a maxed out 1.6 with a better suspension package would be better in ITA at the right venues. The 1.8 would be better other places. At tracks like the two RAs neither one is great, but they are still a blast to race. It is fun to pass in those corners even when you get smoked on the straights.

I hope Sammy is staying up late reading his C. Smith books. I need the help. You know me, toe plates might as well be a computer to me!
    Mac Spikes

If you're planning on swapping between SM and ITA, you need a 1.8. A 1.6 SM won't gain any power in ITA trim, unless you add a header (2-3hp) plus you only lose a little weight. With the 1.8 you lose weight plus the restrictor plus you can add an open intake.

With the 1.8 you lose weight plus the restrictor plus you can add an open intake.
    [/b]
    I thought the 1.8 SM weight was 2350 while the ITA weight is 2380. Isn't that the opposite of what you are saying? Or am I just confused/wrong/self-medicated again?
    Never underestimate a man that owns a Sawzall and a welder.

Yeah, if you are going to crossover from ITA 1.8 to SM you lose weight but have to put the restrictor plate in.
    Mac Spikes