Thread: 240 SX 4.36 REAR GEAR

i am developing a 1989 240sx as an ITA car, i need to find a 4.36 rear end gear, where is the best place to find one?

Try your local Nissan dealer, Or Courtesy Nissan in Ricardson Texas. They list them on the website. I believe it is listed as a Nissan Motorsports part, and not a NISMO part. Probably about $450. I don't recall ever seeing a used one for sale.
    Jim Cohen
    ITS 66
    CFR

I work for a Nissan Dealer. If you haven't found one yet I can see for what price I can get you one. Let me know.
    Greg Deems
    BB Racing/ BB Customs
    www.bbracingusa.com
    #00 ITR 300zx- sold, look for another rental miata soon
    Whether it be your race car or your street car, let BB take it to the next level...

does anyone know what vechicle they were used in, maybe i could find one in junkyard

IIRC if it wasn't that one it was pretty close in the front diff of one of the Nissan 4X4 Suv type vehicles. Can't recall all the details but it seems to me a desirable gear ratio was in the front diff of one of them in the like mid to late 90s.
    Ed.

This question comes up more often than the tire size question.

The axle code is located on the door jamb sticker on Nissans. If it's not there, there are visual ways of determining what you have. On some older trucks it's on a plate in the engine bay above the fender well on the passenger side.

HF35 - H190 axle found in weenie 2wd Hardbodies.
    HF37 - H190 axle found in weenie 2wd Frontiers

CA41 - Found on 720's - This is a C200/R180 combo with 4.11 gearing. Some 720's have the smaller H190 rear end that's identified by not having a removable rear diff cover. R180 front ends in 720's are different than the Hardbody and Frontier versions, as the diff is nearly centered. 720's use unequal length halfshafts and are not interchangeable. All 1986.5+ halfshafts are interchangeable left to right.

CA43 - found on 720's and Hardbodies. C200 rear / R180 front, 4.375:1 gearing

CA46 - found on Hardbodies and 4 banger Frontiers - C200 rear / R180 front, 4.625:1 gears

CA45 - found in 2003+ Frontier 4x4's. This is a C200/R180 combination with a new gear ratio - 4.5something:1 The C200 was upgraded to 31 splines on this model from the previous 29 spline unit.

HG43 - Found on Pathfinders, V6 Hardbodies, and a few '99 Frontiers - H233B rear / R200 front, 4.375:1 gearing. On the 2000+ 33 spline axles, the HG43 has a 4.363 ratio, however this is not a common axle code on the later models.

HG46 - found on auto equipped pathfinders, 96-97 hardody 4 bangers, many Xterras and Frontiers. This one has some variation. Pre-2000 versions are the H233B axle with 4.625:1 gearing (31 spline axles). 2000+ is the H233B axle with 4.636:1 gearing (33 spline axles). Typically comes with an R200 front axle, with the exception being in the '96-97 Hardbody pickups - those had an H233B / R180 combination. Axle shafts in the H233B were 31 spline up to about 2000, where they switched to 33 spline shafts. All Xterras and R50 Pathfinders received the 33 spline axles. In Frontiers, it can be a crapshoot if you have a '99-'00 model, though it is believed that the switchover was at or near 2/00 production date.

HG49 - found in mid year 2001+ Frontiers and Xterras. H233B / R200 combo with 4.90:1 gears.

Locker Selection:

ARB lockers are available for the older 30 spline C200's and all H233b's. They're also avaialble for the R200 front, however no traction device is out there for the R180.

Calmini LSD's will work in an R200 front. (A Calmini LSD is a slightly modified '87-89 Turbine 300ZX LSD)

Lockrights will only work in the older 31 spline H233B.

Detroit used to make a locker for the older 31 spline H233B, but those are getting scarce.

Up to 4.875:1 gearing is available for C200's and R180's. Up to 5.143 gearing can be had for H233B's and R200's. AC and SLR are the two companies offering gears, or you may be able to get them through Nismo.
    Let's say you don't have the doorjamb sticker.

H190 - small 3rd member type axle found in 2wd's only (excluding Desert Runners, Xterras, pathfinders)
    C200 - removable rear diff cover, 8 bolts. Found in all Nissans (yes, even a few early 2wd Pathfinders)
    H233B - large 3rd member type axle found in most V6 and a few 4 banger 4x4's, Desert Runners, and 2wd Pathy's and 2wd Xterra V6's.

Other notes:

The H233B 3rd member changed from 9 bolts to 11 studs to hold it to the housing beginning with the 1990 models. Somewhere along this time (maybe around 6/89, the bolts holding the ring gear to the carrier changed from 10mm to 12mm, making a difference in replacement gear sets.

What do the numbers mean?

The number in the axle model indicates the size of the ring gear in mm.

R180 - 180mm ring gear
    H190 - 190mm ring gear
    C200 / R200 - 200mm ring gear
    H233B - 233mm ring gear (yes, that's about 9.25"!)

How do I figure out my gear ratio?

Put a jack under the diff and get both wheels under the ground. Draw a chalk line on the tires where they would contact the ground. Rotate BOTH tires by hand at the same speed one exact revolution while counting revolutions of he driveshaft. Just under 4 1/2 turns will indicate the 4.375:1 gears. Just a bit over 4 1/2 turns would indicate 4.625:1 or 4.636:1 gearing. If you have a late model, just a tick under 5 turns of the DS would indicate 4.90 gears.

LSD or open?

If you lost the sticker, get that jack back under the diff. Turn a wheel with the truck in neutral. If the other wheel spins in the opposite direction, you have an open diff. If it spins in the same direction, you likely have some sort of traction device - probably an LSD.

http://www.spencerlowracing.com/products/ - they make more crazy FD for Nissans such as 5.143

In short if you have access to non GTR r32 and r33 diffs you might get lucky

Here is a thread that discusses a lot of sources for gears.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103512

My thoughts that it was one of the xterra front gears may be wrong. That ratio comes in R32 GTR Skylines 5 bolt output based on that thread.
    Ed.

question sort of related

im planning on eventually getting into ita, i drive an 89 s13 that already has an r32 skyline gts rear end (4.36 gear) with an s15 hlsd

the rule for rear ends says it must fit in the stock diff/housing/etc without modification

would the r32 diff be illegal? its an r200 like the stock one, it does have the 5 bolt halfshafts instead of the 3x2 of the stock, but thats the only difference iirc, aside obviously from the gear

so would i need to transfer the gear and the lsd back to the stock diff and lose the $250 i payed for my skyline diff or would it probably be ok to use the skyline diff

My 89 sohc base model came with 5-bolt axles. I'm currently using a Nismo SSS LSD. Since you have the S15 helical goodness. They would not be able to notice from the outside its a helical unless they have you pry it open.

Go to Freshalloy. Someone did a writeup on an s15 hlsd into a standard r200 pumpkin

S15 hlsd install

its not the lsd im worried about, theres no restriction on that or the gear ratio, its the fact that the pumpkin itself isnt stock, and it sounds like its supposed to be...but i cant see that it would be a problem in this case

it is possible to do the s15 hlsd in a stock s chassis r200, but you need special bolts that you either have to get from nismo or ford starter bolts, its a pita to find them

also that still wont get you the 4.36 gear, so youd then have to go and buy that seperate...in the end if you want a 4.36 rear end with a helical the best bet is to just get the skyline diff

its not the lsd im worried about, theres no restriction on that or the gear ratio, its the fact that the pumpkin itself isnt stock, and it sounds like its supposed to be...but i cant see that it would be a problem in this case [/b]
    What exactly is the difference between the R32 and R200? If it's only the output shafts I wouldn't worry about it; or at the very least you could just go get a set of the S15 6-bolt output shafts (I know, $$$) and axles to use with the diff.
    it is possible to do the s15 hlsd in a stock s chassis r200, but you need special bolts that you either have to get from nismo or ford starter bolts, its a pita to find them [/b]
    Which bolts are you referring to? I installed the S15 lsd in my car (in the stock housing), and don't remember having to get any special bolts.
    also that still wont get you the 4.36 gear, so youd then have to go and buy that seperate...in the end if you want a 4.36 rear end with a helical the best bet is to just get the skyline diff [/b]
    I would also think seriously about going to the 4:63s for an ITA car, depending on where you plan to race. I have the 4:36s in my car, and right now I'm only hitting 5,800 - 5,900 rpms at the end of the front straight at Summit Point. Sad part is, I found a set of 4:63s on a couple of years ago for $250, but then turned around and sold them when I bought the 4:36s. Just call me Mr. Dumbass.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

the difference is only the output shafts afaik...i heard a rumor somewhere that its got like a tiny bit extra fluid capacity, but i dont know that i could confirm that even

as far as the bolts, youre supposed to use 12 to 13mm shank bolts for the ring gear, but if you didnt know you probably didnt notice because its only going to create 1/2 a mm of play...i know a couple people that have run it without the bolts and not had a problem...but personally i would rather be safe than sorry since i do know about it

my home track will be watkins glen, and not having run summit point nor driven a car prepped to ITA spec i cant say how your experience would translate into the esses and the straight before the chicane at the glen, but ive heard people refer to it as being more like the straights at VIR...and hitting almost 130 on it (factory 5th gear limiter) in a bone stock hatch on all season tires is something i have done, so i had just been assuming id run out of revs there

i might actually get both because basically every track in the NE aside from the glen, maybe VIR if i become a regular there, will be tight enough that i could easily get away with running a 4.63

the extra fluid capacity is from the s14/s15 rear cover it has a completely different 2-bolt design from s13 4-bolt rear cover. that extra fluid capacity should not be of concern. s13 have the poppet relief valve. where as s14/s15 have a spout that is connected to an external reservoir. You are right about the ring gear bolts. s14 does in fact use a different size bolt. Also if you are hitting the limiter. use an auto ecu. the is not speed cut on auto ecus.