I worked as a corner worker for two years before grtting behind the wheel. I was told by my trainer that if a driver passed another under a local yellow flag before clearing the incident he was guilty of PUY. If the car he had passed passes him back before clearing the incident then he too was guilty of PUY, and we were to report both. There are some extenuating circumstances to consider. If the pass is COMPLETED before the passing car reaches a line from the center of the flag station to the far side of the track (at 90* to the edge of the track. in other words straight accross the track) it is a legal pass. A pass is complete when there is no overlap between the two cars. The no passing zone is from a line from the center of the flag station to the far side of the track to far end of the incident. If you are in the process of passing and back off before that line there is no foul. If you wish to be chivalrous and give the position back wait until you have cleared the incident, or if it was on a double yellow wait until the yellow drops. That way you won't cause your opponent to PUY.

As a corner worker I was tought that if two cars are approaching the line at the flag station while overlaped and the rear most car is increasing the overlap he or she is defacto passing. The person must either complete the pass or back off before crossing the line other wise he or she is guilty of PUY.

Chuck