Thread: passing under yellow

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If all corner workers at RA were trained the same as I, You could have an enteresting conversation with the CS.
    The GCR does not define when a pass is complete which leaves a lot to local interpretation.[/b]
    Any lecture based on a PUY without me breaking that plane will be ignored and I wouldn't be shy about telling a steward -
    If I cross the S/F with overlap, but my nose behind his, it isn't a dead heat - I'm behind him and my finishing position reflects this. If my nose is in front, I've passed him and my finishing position reflects this. T&S wouldn't consider me in front therefore, I haven't passed.
    I'll gladly file a protest and an appeal against any interpretation that either: (a) isn't in the supps; ( failing that, isn't in the GCR; © failing that, doesn't use the standard english definition of the word. I've never seen supps define "a pass." It isn't defined in the GCR. That means the english language is what I'll use.
    <blockquote>pass·ing (adjective) going by or past; elapsing
    e·lapse (intr.v.) To slip by; pass
    pass (adverb) so as to pass by or beyond
    pass (preposition) up to and beyond
    pass·ing (verb) To move on or ahead; proceed
    a·head (adverb) in or to the front; in advance of; before
    in front (idiom) in a forward place or position
    in front of (idiom) ahead of</blockquote>
    The GCR doesn&#39;t define a pass because the stewards don&#39;t want it to provide a definition. Absence of a definition leaves doubt and hence a measure of caution on the part of drivers. A clear definition would have everyone racing to the letter of the law.

The GCR doesn&#39;t define a pass because the stewards don&#39;t want it to provide a definition. Absence of a definition leaves doubt and hence a measure of caution on the part of drivers. A clear definition would have everyone racing to the letter of the law.
    [/b]
    The San Francisco Region supplemental regulations define it ... perhaps other regions should do the same.

You can agree or disagree with their definition, but at least it&#39;s defined:

"For the purpose of a pass on yellow, a pass is completed when the passing car has sufficient room to move safely back in front of the car being passed, before the flag/light."
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe