Thread: Off the Wall Idea for a 2008 Southwest Division SCCA race

It appears that the SOWDIV 'regional racers' who feel they are being underserved are in reality the 'regional only class racers'. I'm also hearing 'race time' versus just 'track time'.

Here's an idea, but to make it financially viable, it would require regional only guys to show up IN MASS! I mean, like every runnin' regional car in SOWDIV (even the barely running)!

For those not in SOWDIV that read this...would this format entice you to do a longer tow (College Station TX) for a race weekend like this?

Format: Restricted Regional/Restricted Regional (or extended Restricted Regional)
    Eligible Groups: IT, SP, SRX7, SM, SRF
    Race Groups: TBD, planned 4 (5 max?)
    Saturday schedule:
    P/Q
    Race #1
    Race #2
    Sunday schedule
    Very short P/Q (or warmup, grids from Sat finish...maybe 1 race with reverse grid?)
    Race #3
    Race #4

Course would be Texas World Speedway 2.9 mile course. Everybody wants to do that one and it's a bit more central for SOWDIV (also means everybody has to drive a ways to get there).

Be aware that adjusted Entry fees would likely be necessary to make the weekend viable and provide incentives to get enuff workers to make the long course would be required.

Regional racers get improved track time and FOUR races on a two day weekend.

(are ya listening LSR?...Greg?)

I'll now don my triple layer nomex skivvies and let all take potshots at me.

No need for armor plated cod pieces, Jake. Just one question...what region is going to put on the race since Houston and Texas have their personal tracks and LSR doesn't appear to want any parts of putting on a race?
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

First things first, if there's enough support to make this format of event financially viable, we can find a region to host the event.

If the regional racers aren't willing to voice their support for this format BEFORE the plan is firmed up, then, no, we won't find a region willing to host the event.

I'm sure LSR lost a bundle on the Memorial weekend event. I feel for them, but have to acknowledge the last minute planning/changes and poor communication did them in. If they can find people to put the race together, it'd be nice to see them do something like this. I think TX region would be interested...if...regional racers speak up and say they'd support the event with their entries. Perhaps a co-hosted event?

Another region racing on TWS is not an issue (SCCA-wise), only requires LSR agreement.

I would enjoy a 4 race weekend, but you have to look at the $ numbers.
    We hosted a SCCA race at NPR in Louisiana, and participation was minimal.
    TX pulls alot more drivers, but you still have to get a club, or clubs to front the money.
    If it is under $500 for 4 races I am game.
    Just my$.02
    Carver

Car Prep, Rentals and full builds.
    Details at http://www.ChrisCarverMotorSports.com

UMMMMMMMMMM Chris,

Lone Star just had a double regional and a 4.5 hour enduro at TWS Memorial day weekend and double national in March.

Not bad for region as small as Lone Star
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

Try to keep up with current events, will you.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

How many IT cars do you guys think we can get to enter both days of an event like this? Are you willing to 'beat the bushes' to get other IT and SP guys to come out and play?

20 cars? 30 cars?

A competition with Spec Miata to see who can get the bigger field?

Help me out with this, it's gotta be financially viable and the only two factors we can really play with are car count and entry fee.

TWS is up for sale. LSR is worried that the sale will remove the track from the available pool and effectively leave LSR with no home track to host races. Both of the other tracks have full schedules leaving no weekends for LSR to host a race at them. MSR Cresson has been approved for club racing, again a Texas region track. With out a track to host races the only option would be to co-host with one of the other regions.

That does not mean LSR has no desire to host races.

BTW, when was the last time one of the regions in La. hosted a race?

Jakester,

If all four races were run under one sanction number the weekend would only count as one race come license renewal time. A point of concern for some. A sanction number for each race would up the cost a smidge.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

TWS is up for sale. LSR is worried that the sale will remove the track from the available pool and effectively leave LSR with no home track to host races. Both of the other tracks have full schedules leaving no weekends for LSR to host a race at them. MSR Cresson has been approved for club racing, again a Texas region track. With out a track to host races the only option would be to co-host with one of the other regions. [/b]
    Yes, TWS is 'up for sale'. However, Porsche Club as well as other groups have already signed contracts for 2008 dates. Info from Rusty, the track manager, at the Memorial weekend event was at this point, it is business as usual. IMHO, I see a number of obstacles to a buyer, whether the buyer plans to continue as a racetrack or if developing for business/residential property. But that's another story.

Even if TWS disappeared tomorrow, LSR can still host races. To host a race in another region's 'territory' requires only the approval of that region. Remember, for many years, TWS was the 'only' track and TX, HOU and LSR held events there. That occurred because LSR gave their permission. I honestly do not believe that any region in SOWDIV would refuse permission to another region.

Now, back to the 'crux of the biscuit' (to borrow a line from Frank Zappa): how many IT cars are you guys gonna find to enter this REGIONAL FESTIVAL I'm proposing?

Hmm... Just come to Mid-Ohio in August and see how our I.T./SPEC festival works. We'd love to have some racers from the Lone Star State.

Todd

BTW, when was the last time one of the regions in La. hosted a race?
    [/b]
    I think it was back in 05 before Katrina. Delta, Cenla and Houston Cohosted a school and regional race.
    Turn out was small and we basicly broke even.

Car Prep, Rentals and full builds.
    Details at http://www.ChrisCarverMotorSports.com

how many IT cars are you guys gonna find to enter this REGIONAL FESTIVAL I'm proposing?
    [/b]
    Here is one, I am 110% in, where do I make my deposit? . My goal is this: "A minimum of 4 sessions (at least 2 as races) and 90 minutes on the track for each race weekend."
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT