Here we go again. I got pulled over in Maryland by the State Highway Patrol. He started off by saying I wasn't being pulled over for anything other than no Dot#. I was told that because I was over 10,000lbs I was required to have a USDOT#. He gave me a small $60 ticket and said I could have had about a few thousand in tickets.

He gave me this website http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov I just spent some time on there and spoke with them. I was sent to a supervisor and spoke to her and the answer was yes we do need it. She asked if we win anything. Can you believe that one ??? I crappy trophy I told her. She said I know its a stretch but its required. Now I am in a DOT data base and If I get pulled over again without the # the fines are heavy.

Here's the question that gets us all.

Will any of your vehicles weigh 10,001 lbs. (4,536 kg) or more?

As measured in either:

Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)
Gross Combination Weight (GCW)
Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR)

So my 7,200lbs F350 DRW with a Pace 24ft. + a 3,600lbs racecar puts me way over. The Dot # is free, you need a physical and you have to have the DOT# on both sides of the truck. You also need to keep a log book. The best is now you have to pull into the weigh stations. Priceless.