Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DOT# required over 10,001 lbs. (4,536 kg)

John--I have been an AARP member for years!!

Greg--I do not think the Club can be of much help. This impacts quite a bit of hobbiests, including boaters, drag racers, car show entrants, etc., etc.
    [/b]
    SCCA should help to educate the racers about towing as almost all of us tow to the track. Plus don't "WE"
    ( SCCA , the Club) have a lawyer on staff ? and doesn't " our " ( the racers ) money pay for it all ??? and isn't our end of the Club Racing producing revenue for the club unlike Pro Racing ?????

Just a few thoughts to ponder ..................................
    Greg Meindl
    #74 Dodge Neon ACR ITA
    #75 Dodge Neon ACR ITA
    #84 Dodge Neon ACR ITA Enduro
    #74 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe TA SVRA
    #74 Pontiac Firebird Formula T2 Sold on its way to Arizona !
    #74 Dodge SRT-4 T2 Sold residing in Indiana

Greg--Our club has lawyers but you should also remember that much of the problem is uneven interpretation of Federal-based laws and regulations by individual "state level" authorities. (like state troopers and state dot/dmv enforcement teams).

A lawyer in Topeka is not going to be of much help with an incident in West Virgina or Arizona.

Cheers.

What would be really nice is if our SCCA leadership/lawyers would get in touch with NHRA/IHRA/Boating/Horse/etc (heck, even NASA) groups and all work together to help the feds understand that what 90% of us are doing is NOT commercial.

And while they're at it, they could produce a quick-reference card for all members that would help us understand when we're in the wrong, and at the same time give us the ammo we need to defend ourselves at the time we're pulled over.

Fighting the ticket later isn't the answer - Murphy will make sure that you're pulled over and ticketed at the far end of your once-a-season 15-hour tow, not 10 minutes from your house.

Jarrod
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

All of these laws are to enforce the safety of all of us when we are driving on the road, be it the big vehicle or the small vehicle next to the crazy truck driver. If all these organizations (SCCA, NHRA, IHRA, Boating, Horse, NASA, etc) got together to "clarify" the law then I think you would see either a recomendation or a law change, to require you to have special licences, logs, weight checks etc.. Do I want to deal with that, heck no! especially with the huge trailer that I have, however would it be the best for all of us in terms of safety??? absolutely.

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

...all work together to help the feds understand that what 90% of us are doing is NOT commercial...produce a quick-reference card for all members that would help us understand...[/b]
    Bingo.

The nice thing about the Internet, though, is we can do this ourselves. In fact, I may take the initiative to create a small brochure-like PDF for people to be able to download and print out. Hell, it ain't rocket science, right...?

....GregM, join the National Motorists Association (if you're not already) and fight the ticket. I'll be glad to help as I can. - GA....

[/b]
    GA, I think this bears repeating. NMA is a sponsor to BMW Club Racing, and I run their optional sticker on my car. I have a friend who got a deer in Iowa on a transcontinental road trip from California to South Carolina and back. The Iowa trooper runs his license and finds his license is revoked. Well this is the first time he finds out about it. If your interested in the details you can find it here.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Bingo.

The nice thing about the Internet, though, is we can do this ourselves. In fact, I may take the initiative to create a small brochure-like PDF for people to be able to download and print out. Hell, it ain't rocket science, right...?
    [/b]
    This is what I am trying to get done. I have been in contact with someone at Federal DOT. I know am awaiting his return e-mail on this clarification for us all. He immediately referenced the law that say's we're ok. We have been playing phone tag for two weeks on this. Please stand by.........................
    Greg Meindl
    #74 Dodge Neon ACR ITA
    #75 Dodge Neon ACR ITA

This is what I am trying to get done. I have been in contact with someone at Federal DOT. I know am awaiting his return e-mail on this clarification for us all. He immediately referenced the law that say's we're ok. We have been playing phone tag for two weeks on this. Please stand by.........................
    [/b]

Never thought my initial post would carry this far.
    Thanks for the legwork on this. I'm very interested in the results.

Regards

Dave A.
    Team Jagermeister
    '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10 - ITB NESCCA Enduro Champions

Thanks for all the information sharing on this subject. I found it very helpful.
    -Jeff S
    '07 Mid-Am ITA Champion
    '07 St.Louis Region Driver of the Year

www.plainoldgas.com

Honda S2000 for ITR in the works

I just got the final word from the DOT and it is not required as long as you follow the rules listed below in Question 21 from the DOT website.

Question 21: Does the exemption in §390.3(f)(3) for the "occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise" apply to persons who occasionally use CMVs to transport cars, boats, horses, etc., to races, tournaments, shows or similar events, even if prize money is offered at these events? Guidance: The exemption would apply to this kind of transportation, provided: (1) The underlying activities are not undertaken for profit, i.e., (a) prize money is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes, and ( the cost of the underlying activities is not deducted as a business expense for tax purposes; and, where relevant; (2) corporate sponsorship is not involved. Drivers must confer with their State of licensure to determine the licensing provisions to which they are subject.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was HIGHLY suggested that we carry a copy of this with us at all times. Also here is the number to DOT licensing 1-888-877-2181 Monday - Friday 8am - 8pm EST. that you can call if you get pulled over and have a problem.

" Not for Hire " decal's can't hurt but don't mean s___ if the guy is looking for a potential DOT violator. Knowing the law is the only thing that will help you.

Just some equipement suggestions they had in case we get pulled over.

1. Have road flares / or some kind of safety reflectors

2. Have a spare tire for both truck and trailer

3. Have a method of making the repair.

4. Don't have any sponsor decal's on the rig or trailer

5. Make sure the breakaway cable is attached properly

6.Make sure all lighting is functional

7.Vehicle and or trailer cannot be registered to a business ( I see many guy's towing with commercially used trucks , dump trucks, landscaping trucks etc.)

and most important of all now.....................

5.Have a copy of DOT question 21 !!!!!! and be prepared to answer question 1 & 2 correctly.

Greg Meindl
    #74 Dodge Neon ACR ITA
    #75 Dodge Neon ACR ITA