Thread: Z Steering Rack Bushings - Any Issues?

My Z has a loose steering rack, again.

The first time it happened in 2005. You would turn the wheel and the rack would move 1/4" one way or the other. I noticed it in a race and the steering wheel would end up 5-10 degrees left or right after a turn in order to get the car to go straight.

Nuts and bolts on the bushing were tight as tight can be. So, bushings were replaced, problem was solved.

Now, with only about 6 race hours on the bushings the rack is doing the exact same thing again. Bolts are absolutely tight, rack moves 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Is there something about the bushings and rack I don't know? Does it need some sheet steel shims in the bushing material to hold up well?

Thanks,
    Ron

My Z has a loose steering rack, again.

The first time it happened in 2005. You would turn the wheel and the rack would move 1/4" one way or the other. I noticed it in a race and the steering wheel would end up 5-10 degrees left or right after a turn in order to get the car to go straight.

Nuts and bolts on the bushing were tight as tight can be. So, bushings were replaced, problem was solved.

Now, with only about 6 race hours on the bushings the rack is doing the exact same thing again. Bolts are absolutely tight, rack moves 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Is there something about the bushings and rack I don't know? Does it need some sheet steel shims in the bushing material to hold up well?

Thanks,
    Ron
    [/b]
    Ron, High energy suspension had made some really good bushings at one point that really set the rack in place. If you are using stock bushings they will be junk before you install them so don't waste your time on that. I may have a set of the good Nismo bushings still on the shelf. I have considered having my cnc guy make aluminum replacements for those but I don't believe that there are enough needed to make it cost effective.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

If you have the Nismo bushings, and are willing to part with them, we will take them.

Thanks Joe.

NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I have used 2 small pieces of sheet metal and made something like 2 halves of a rod bearing. This takes up the slack and allows you to tighten it up . No problem after that. I have also on other cars welded a tab to the rack and put a small bolt into the crossmember. Either works fine.

DC
    Dave Ciufo
    Livonia, NY
    ITS 240Z #34
    SM #34