Thread: oil cooler size vs oil PSI

Well its time to install an oil cooler in my little GA16DE (IT) car and I will like to know from someone who has experienced big oil pressure drops due to oil cooler size and I will like to know what size(rows) should I go in order to reduce this effect for such a small engine.

I don't have specific info on this engine, but in my Z I don't see a significant loss of pressure. I am running a 19 row cooler with -12 lines. All the fittings are 1/2npt and any offsets between the bore of the adapter and the threaded hole for the fitting were smoothed and rounded. Lines were kept short, and any time that a 90 is needed I use tube 90's as I am told that they flow better.

With pretty normal clearances and a stock pump I have 60psi at 6000 rpm. With the turbo pump I had 60 psi but it leveled off earlier.

Mike

Different motor (Rover V8), but same experience as Mike. Adding a 19 row oil cooler with -12 AN lines did not result in a noticeable pressure drop. LIke Mike said, watch the bends and use the tube fittings for them to prevent kinks and "blocks" in the lines.

Mike, how goes the ressurection? Did you just pop a head gasket?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Once the cooler is full and all the lines are charged the pump is moving the same volume of oil over a greater distance and really not anything more. I do recommend nothing smaller than -10 lines and use tube 90s rather than hard 90's in your fittings but your actual pressure losses should be minimal.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

I should have the car back together in a few weeks. I am spending some time with family right now. Too much time on projects and the thrash for Memorial Day weekend. There was a 1/2-3/4" section of the head gasket missing between #4 and #5 on the intake/exhaust side and a pretty deep scar in the head. I have to look at my timing. And my mixture. It was on the list for the last race but I ran out of time. I have a spare head that is in good shape so I'll be back. I may try to come up for one of the CCPS races at VIR in August.

Mike

Well just ordered a 16 row MOCAL with -8 lines and will see how it works.

Well just ordered a 16 row MOCAL with -8 lines and will see how it works.
    [/b]
    Read what Joe said about -10 lines...then read it again and again.

Where in the system is your pressure sender ? Don't trade volume for pressure...you're potentially going to strangle your oil system with -8 lines.

Well its time to install an oil cooler in my little GA16DE (IT) car...[/b]
    "Enjoy", are you SURE you need that? I run a large Koyo radiator in my NX (SR20DE) and make sure the system is in good shape, and my water temps rarely go above 180-190 and my oil temps are typically 200-210.

Given this, I'm not convinced you need the extra complexity and weight of an external oil cooler...

During last season I upgraded from -08 to -10 it made a big difference in cooling. -10 is like 25% bigger diameter than -08, it also helps to make sure there aren't constrictions in the lines. Before going to -10 lines I took out the mocal thermostat hoping that would do it, but definitely the bigger lines helped. You might just go straight to the -12's recommended above.

I still have to also drill and tap my adapter plate to use 1/2" fittings - that's the last constriction in my system.

Jason.
    1989 ITA 240sx - #21 MARRS Series

http://www.timelapseracing.com

"Enjoy", are you SURE you need that? I run a large Koyo radiator in my NX (SR20DE) and make sure the system is in good shape, and my water temps rarely go above 180-190 and my oil temps are typically 200-210.

Given this, I'm not convinced you need the extra complexity and weight of an external oil cooler...
    [/b]

Well thats interesting I think I should install a temperature gage first and see whats going on in the engine to be honest even with the stock radiator this car never overheated on me and now that I have a R1440 koyo I should be in good shape KOYO does great things for SR20s since b13 SRs are prone to overheat in stock form here in the islands where we get 110 degs+ in the asphalt.