Thread: Halon Refill

Thumbs up

Does anybody know where you can get a 10# DOT Safecraft Halon bottle refilled here in the Southeast? I travel the area for a living so actually taking it somewhere to get filled vs. shipping it swould be no big problem.

TIA

Tom Sprecher

Many local fire extinguisher companies. Try http://www.firesystems.net/index.html in Smyrna. Thanks, Google.
    Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

I'll give them a call but I have talked to Rocky at Safecraft in CA and he said no one will be able to refill it except Safecraft ($275 for 10#) as they are the only ones that have the replacement parts. I guess he means the rupture disc or whatever is used to retain the gas.

I tried Google, used "halon", talked to a few folks local and came up with a whole lot of nothing a while back. That's why I asked the question here.

Tom Sprecher

Tom-

You should indeed be able to get a halon refill at a fire extinguisher service co. locally. I've had three or four done at one in Decatur. I think they're listed under DeKalb Fire Extinguisher, but in any case they are located on N. Decatur Road and are in the yellow pages. It cost about $100 for a 10 lb system the last time had it done - about 2 years ago.

Tom Lyttle

Thanks for the info Tom but you're two days too late as the bottle was shipped to Safecraft for a refill. Was your system made by Safecraft?

I spoke to Feona at Trans Atlantic, a race prep shop in Cumming, and she wanted $285. Rocky at Safecraft wanted $275 and said he was the only one who would have the replcement parts anyway so he got it.

Hopefully I will never have to get it done again but next time I will check out Dekalb Fire Extinguisher and maybe save $175.

Thanks to everyone.
    Tom Sprecher