Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barber Registration open

from alscca.org :

"Entry fee for the Double SARRC is $320 and $185 for a single SARRC. Refunds after June 22 will be subject to a $100 cancellation fee. Because Barber Motorsports Park requires the region to pay for track rental in advance of the event and track rental is at a premium, all entry fees will be deposited/transacted upon receipt. ALSCCA does have a refund policy as will be set out in the Supps. "

Not good, but then it gets even more confusing. Under "REGISTRATION" in the supps it says "checks for no-shows will be shredded" . In the same section, it also says "All hardships must be adjusted at the track with the Chief of Registration prior to leaving the premises."

SO, if "all entry fees will be deposited/transacted upon receipt." as said on the website, how are they going to retain $100 and shred the checks on the no-shows?

Anyone out there able to clarify?
    Eddie
    ex RX3 and GTI driver
    "Don't RallyCross what you can't afford to Road Race" - swiped from YH and twisted for me
    "I have heard that any landing you can walk away from is a 'good' landing. I bet this applies to flying airplanes as well." - E.J.

Sounds like so many other Supps I've read from so many other regions. They frequently come in a standard form thats adjusted, but not always completely for various quirks of an event site. I'd try to contact the registrar for a clarification or a number and someone to contact.

The extra $100 was to compensate other drivers when your car spits out half-shafts and such

Don't worry, I've had worse things come off my car or spit at me from other vehicles. Some of which were on track with me...some not.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Do I get a discount if I spit smaller pieces ?

Seriously, I made my comment because I felt the two week notice and $100 was a bit much. Now, after reviewing the documentation so I could put the quotes in the post, I'm just confused
    Eddie
    ex RX3 and GTI driver
    "Don't RallyCross what you can't afford to Road Race" - swiped from YH and twisted for me
    "I have heard that any landing you can walk away from is a 'good' landing. I bet this applies to flying airplanes as well." - E.J.

is there also a thing that Barber does where if you go off track and destroy some sod or other surface/item, you have to in turn pay to fix?

I'm trying to decide whether to attend.

Hasnt this race been well attended in the past?

If the fields were big, it may be worth it.
    "Entropy sucks"

The damage responsibility goes, by the letter of the law, for ANYWHERE you run. Most places seem to selectively enforce it based on the circumstances of the incident. If they say "don't run through the grass at corner X" in the driver's meeting and then they have video of car Y driving through the grass at corner X on every other lap, they're probably going to send car Y a bill for sod.

As for field size, count on it being packed. This is one beautiful facility with an extremely well designed track. If you can make it, don't miss it.
    Eddie
    ex RX3 and GTI driver

Matt, technically that is true at all tracks I run. A buddy at CMP got charged $150 for oil dry. At VIR, if you tear up a guardrail, you pay for it. The difference is that in the past, the track management at other tracks has been reasonable about this stuff.

I was at Barber at the infamous 2004 race where we (the SCCA) allegedly did something like $30,000 in damage to the grounds and guardrails. I saw nothing that would even come close to that amount, and I frankly didn't like the Paddock Nazis who walked around, with guns, busting chops for small spills of fluids.

All of that said, Barber was to me (even as a rookie) perhaps the most interesting track I have run, adn the facilities are truly world class. I didn't think a track could have better facilities than VIR -- Barber does.

Barber has just about every time of corner, different radii, apexs, sweepers, high speed esses, up and down, a small corkscrew, etc. Straights are the perfect length for IT cars (just touching top of 4th/5th gear). Fields were huge in 04 too. I think there were 20+ ITS cars.

Fun track, hope the track management has chilled out.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Track management has definitely become more user friendly. That being said, if you damage a guard rail, expect to pay. A word of advise...if you have a spill, epically gasoline or oil, notify security immediately..they can treat the spill and no damage will occur, hence no bill. (at least that is what has happened in the past)

It is, in fact, the finest facility in the country....something everyone should try.

As to your question about entries, when I did registration in 2004 there were around 340 entries with just north of 40 no shows. Needless to say, fields were full!! Currently there are 92 entrants with almost a month before the race. This should be another great race, so plan to attend. The Hampton Inn, Edwards Lake Road in Trussville is a good place to stay. About 15 minutes from the track, all freeway. Actual location is I459 and I59 exit, Highway 11, Trussville. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Why are drivers being charged for damage when that's one reason we have event ins.? We had an AS Mustang nose into a tire wall backed by a 3' high concrete wall a few years ago and he knocked about 12' of the concrete wall down. The repair was about $1800 paid by our ins. Didn't cost the driver a dime. Well, at least the wall repair didn't.
    Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

Harris,
    If you and Gary are going, John and I might have to try and make this one.
    Let me know your plans and lets caravan. I will lead the trip there just like the laps on course.
    Carver

Car Prep, Rentals and full builds.
    Details at http://www.ChrisCarverMotorSports.com

Harris,
    I will lead the trip there just like the laps on course.
    Carver
    [/b]
    Sure...right.... I'll get by this week to pay for the EVo thing, and we can discuss it. Let's see...ITS turns faster laps than ITC. I suppose it can happen even with a novice driver.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

<snip> Under "REGISTRATION" in the supps it says "checks for no-shows will be shredded" . In the same section, it also says "All hardships must be adjusted at the track with the Chief of Registration prior to leaving the premises."

SO, if "all entry fees will be deposited/transacted upon receipt." as said on the website, how are they going to retain $100 and shred the checks on the no-shows?

Anyone out there able to clarify?
    [/b]
    Good question...

I&#39;m no "seasoned veteran", so when I read the part about "hardships must be adjusted at the track" I was naive enough to believe it was for people who broke on Saturday morning and didn&#39;t want to get charged for the double. <_<

I sure hope that Chuck is right about track management becoming more user-friendly.

See everyone there!
    Mike Spencer
    NC Region
    ITA/7 RX-7 #60
    IT7R RX-7 #37 (build in process)
    1990 Classic Red Miata
    2004 "Winning Blue" RX-8

If track management isn&#39;t more user friendly, then it&#39;s doubtful that there will ever be another SCCA event held there. If there is, I doubt that I attend. There is a limit to things.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

LET ME CLEAR A FEW THINGS UP ABOUT THE ALSCCA RACE:

1. The $100 cancellation fee is not part of the supps and does not apply. It was originally thrown around when pre-supps drafting we put up an informational page on the ALSCCA web site to answer questions. Since all racers always read the supps it is the supps that "rule". It was thrown around to charge a cancellation fee during that "gut check" time when the region looked at just how expensive it is to put on a race at Barber. It ain&#39;t cheap. The $100 cancellation fee has been taken off the ALSCCA website.

2. Track Damage. Without rehashing what happened in 2004 on the track damage bill let me just say that things have changed quite a bit since then. There is a lot less track damage assessed these days and the prices are lower too. It has not really caused any problems over the last few years with various clubs who either race there or hold PDX/track events there. YET, they still will assess damage if someone wads something up. I expect some damage will be assessed but nothing like the past. Yes if you hit it and damage it bad enough, it is yours. But then other tracks charge for damage too. We have never gotten a bill for damage to grass (we are allowed to tear up so much per day). But then how many tracks have lawn grade grass as run off? Barber is a world class facility (heck just look at how nice and clean the bathrooms are) which intends to keep its immaculate status.

3. As to depositing checks we talked about this and again that was for the reason that ALSCCA has to pay IN ADVANCE of the event for the track rental ($$$$), ambulances ($$), fire trucks ($$), etc. etc. Looking at the bank account and the outlay was pretty scary. Again the Supps control and we are not depositing the checks.

Hope that answers the questions.

Barry H.
    ALSCCA Race Admin.

Thanks for having the website corrected - I&#39;m not confused any more. Now it looks like registration for this race is just like any other race
    Eddie
    ex RX3 and GTI driver

This may be a stupid question, but after a recent similar error, I feel compelled to ask. Everything I read online lists the race dates as July 7, 8, & 9. That&#39;s Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, 2007. Even though I&#39;m relatively certain that&#39;s an error, and it should be July 6, 7, & 8, 2007. Would someone in charge please confirm those dates?
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Or what month it is?

alscca forum announcement
    Eddie
    ex RX3 and GTI driver

Maybe that&#39;s it!
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic