Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summit Point 12hr updates?

Anyone have any 'live' updates on how things are going. Gotta be hot as hell down there.

Here are the results. And, yes, it was hot.
    The official results only list the driver who is the entrant. So the only winning team where I can list all drivers is mine

1st ITE 1st overall Peter Collins
    1st SM 4th overall Rich Hromin
    1st ITA 6th overall Tony Zelones
    1st SSM 7th overall Mark Lapos/Chris Kellett/Dave Wible
    1st ITS 19th overall John Weisberg
    1st ITB 20th overall James Troxell
    1st ITC 42nd overall Jeffry Janoska
    Mark Lapos
    ITS RX7 #23
    www.rpperformanceracing.com

Congrats Mark! Tell Chris I said Hi. He and I were in Driver's School together (had Don Barack for an instructor).

Let me be the first to congratulate Team York on their ITB win. They squeaked us by a mere 74 laps, I think.

K

Let me be the first to congratulate Team York on their ITB win. They squeaked us by a mere 74 laps, I think.

K
    [/b]

Uh, oh. More car problems?? At least I know it was Greg this time.....
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

We had a weird gearbox problem and then a bee-otchy clutch cable after the 'box swap. Preliminary indications are that the clutchpack diff wore out, perhaps rooted in improper break-in by the team owner back when it was first intalled (I think).

K

Sorry to hear that Kirk. Did you guys finish or did you have to pull out?

Pablo II has been muy reliable up to this point, that stinks about the failure.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

We lost about 1:40 all told but got back out and ran the last 2+ hours to the checkered.

K

I was thinking about this yesterday Kirk. I thought of another possiblity for your whoas that leads you to cracking that open and checking the clutchpack and 4th gear complaints.

Though that big input shaft seal did have a small amount of wear due to not beeing 100% flush seating, I would also check the clutch pushrod seal on the input shaft. That one can also leak, either way I hope you had no major damage to the box.

Oh and just a lesson learend. Working the 12 hour (7 hours total on station.) Followed by instructing 2 students the next day with a 6:30am wake up call leaves you to nearly passing out at 9pm on the way home. I did make it home safe and properly passed out in my bed though.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

The gearbox had over 75% it's oil still in it when I got home and drained it out to measure it last night, the excessive heat came from the differential, I'll post some pictures when I get it apart after the move. The fluid was thoroughly polluted with friction material. In hindsight the clutch was most likely fine, and Phil was probably right that the slipping he was feeling was from the diff.
    We were a little surprised by high oil temps at the beginning of the weekend which found me swapping out the thermostat for a cooler unit in an effort to bring those down. I'm now thinking that the engine was acting like a heat sink for all the heat from the tranny. That transmission was hot as hell when I went to remove it in the paddock, so hot I couldn't hold it with gloves on. When we did the swap at VIR I did not have that problem, I was able to yank the box out right off the track without even noticing the heat.
    Kirk, I wouldn't think that your backwards break-in had much to do with this. We had that diff apart since then and the friction material was good then, I think that it just reached the end of it's service life, a clutch pack in anything will eventually wear out, any friction material based item brakes, clutch, or even the diff wears the material down and eventually requires replacement.

With that much heat even gear oil would get thin enough to seep out the seals. Good luck with the rebuild, I hope to be part of the Conover team for the longest day.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Angry

6:30am wake up call [/b]
    Your wake-up caller wasn't much more cohesive at 1840h on Sunday - I almost fell asleep on the 15 minute drive to drop off my trailer!!!

All this talk is making me wonder if a clutch-type LSD is the be-all/end-all - I'll be curious to hear what is discovered.
    Haz-Matt Racing

Uh, oh. More car problems?? At least I know it was Greg this time.....
    [/b]
    JLawton: Why does us beating Knestis have to mean he broke? What are we, chopped turkey sitting in a SM?

Knestis: Thanks! Nelson next...
    TEAM TROXELL
    TEAM YORK
    #28 ITB VW GOLF

JLawton: Why does us beating Knestis have to mean he broke? What are we, chopped turkey sitting in a SM?

Knestis: Thanks! Nelson next...
    [/b]
    uh I think because you beat him by 74 laps it was fair to assume Kirk had trouble.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Angry

What are we, chopped turkey sitting in a SM?
    [/b]
    Speaking of chopped turkey - I'm surprised that no one had grilled turkey legs for dinner from that team...
    Haz-Matt Racing

Probably would have had to pick too much glass out of it.
    Mark Lapos
    ITS RX7 #23

Really it was the top notch professional crew of the team york entry that made the difference. LOL Congrats to eveyrone. 12 hours without a full course caution has to be some kind of record.
    Rick Harbaugh
    #72 240Z

htmracing.com

12 hours without a full course caution has to be some kind of record.
    [/b]
    Very first Summit Point 12 Hours ran the whole distance without a FCY.

I can't say enough good things about Bret DePedro and the entire RP Performance team. They gave us a solid car, and we had fast pitstops all day. We had to change a hub at 10:30 at night and it could have cost us the win. We changed it on pit lane in under 4 minutes which put us back out without giving up the lead. Awesome. And the other RP team car was leading their class when they had a motor problem at 11:35pm. That was heartbreaking. We almost went 2 for 2.
    Mark Lapos
    ITS RX7 #23

So has anyone seen any lap charts yet???

I've seen final results, but nothing on mylaps (or something similar) yet.

Thanks!
    joe
    #13 ITS S13 Nissan 240SX