Thread: cooling fan replacement

Am I legal replacing the OEM cooling fan and shroud with an aftermarket unit?
    Jim Sexton
    …I feel ill at how far we have drifted from engineering and automotive integrity. It's not just nostalgia. It's more like sorrow. For a shining moment in human history all our science and engineering blossomed to create the great inventions and designs. Now we engage in techno-masturbation like Twitter and TPMS…
    Riley Tharp

Yes. Fans are free.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

GCR pg 298 - aftermarket looks good to me. Only restrictions that I see pertain to substitute radiators that might create additional openings.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

I recently changed out my factory fan for an aftermarket. At the time, I wanted to substitute a push fan for the stock pull, as the space between the radiator and the engine is very tight. Considering the rule, I thought it could be considered illegal, as the fan would move to the front of the radiator instead of behind the radiator, which I considered a "relocation". I was able to find a thin pull fan, so it all worked out.

I still wonder, would moving from a push to a pull, and the subsequent required relocation of the fan (from the back to the front of the radiator) be considered legal?

Thanks,

Will
    Will
    # 72 Miata ITA
    1.6 liters of furious power!

I wonder why you guys have fans on your race cars at all. At track speed all it does is impede airflow over the radiator. It also is pretty much the worst place on a fwd car to have unnecessary weight - may not apply to you, but it does for me.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Yes. Fans are free.
    [/b]

I wonder why you guys have fans on your race cars at all. At track speed all it does is impede airflow over the radiator. It also is pretty much the worst place on a fwd car to have unnecessary weight - may not apply to you, but it does for me.
    [/b]
    +1

Or free to be removed. It's one more element that can and does fail. Just leave it off.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Why fans?

The car does come off the track after a hot seeion and unless you have unlimited Paddock Speeds, fans are necessary

Why fans?

The car does come off the track after a hot seeion and unless you have unlimited Paddock Speeds, fans are necessary
    [/b]
    Or if your stuck in the pits with a black flag all and have a bad starter or battery!! Or sitting on pregrid with 5 minutes to go and it turns into 10!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

i thought that was why we can't remove the heaters and hoses? my honda will do fine in the paddock, etc. without a fan.

but since i had to add 150 #'s, it is easier to be lazy and let the OEM fan cycle on and off as needed. the cost/risk of the motor and not having to add more ballast makes the fan worthwhile for me.

i am getting old enough that CRS (Can't Remember something that started with S) disease is starting to set in.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

If I have to cool things down, I crank the defrost on full hot.

I do my best to race with a good battery and starter (although the current one is less than perfect - it's on the list) because you don't always know when / where you need to restart.

My point is - weight in the worst possible place, and airflow restriction covering the radiator outweighs the convenience of being able idle for long periods of time for me. I understand that others might have different experiences or priorities though.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

You don't need to be running untill the 2minute mark. A push start is allowed, althought the late model BMW doesn't push start well. The lap after the checker is a cool down lap, the temps in my car always drop after the checkered flag, and I don't know about how large your paddocks are but it usually is close enough that I can get to my pit spot in less than a minute idleing in second gear and I don't have any symbalance of a heater core so I can't turn it on, but I do have the oil cooler from a M3 mounted under my radiator so I've got plenty of cooling with out needing a fan. To paraphrase my father-in-law, "I'd run without a fan if I were you. But, you can do want you want."
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter