Thread: ITE & AWD turbo?

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting on this forum so be as nasty as you like

I am in the process of building a 1990 V8Quatto , the car is being built for a multitude of purposes but basically its a track beast. Originally the car was AWD 3.6L V8, torsen mid and rear diffs, open front diff. Fuel injected and normally aspirated.

The car will be fairly light at approx 2600 - 2800lbs, Twin Turbo 3.6L (For now) V8, AWD wiht torsens mid, rear and front. Motor should be making at least 400 WHP in detuned reliable format. It will be running 034 EFI SEM. Custom front suspension and control arms etc. Safety equipment will be 8 point cage (trying to figure out the 6+2 GCR rule which is very odd and find a way to tie into the struts while keeping the cage "within the passenger compartment" Bottom line is it should be fun

I have a few IT related questions. I am hoping to get the car built in such a manner that I can run it in ITE but I am getting some conflicting information.

Q1) Does anyone have a current ITE rule book. I have the SCCA 2005 GCR but nothing in there relating to ITE.

Q2) ITE - Cage is still 6+2 and I presume it must be 'completely within the passenger compartment' per the IT ruleset. Heres the Q: Can I modify the front firewall and the rear bulkhead and stay within teh IT rules. If I can then I can build a tunnel to allow me to hit the strut tower about 3" down from the top and still be fully within the passenger cabin.

Q3) AWD in ITE? The IT rules exclude AWD and Pressurecharging, is there an exception for ITE

Q4) Turbo in ITE - Aftermarket / custom turbo vs factory turbo cars Can I add turbos to the V8 and stay in ITE? (I was at NHIS this weekend watching 911's and 944's running in ITE and presume tehy were turbo)

Q5) Relocation of Motor and trans, down 2" back 2" - Legal?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Timmmy

Timmy, ITE rules are regional/divisional in nature. You need to find your local ruleset to answer those questions...

Yes, let us know where you are, and I'm sure someone here will be able to steer you in the right direction. Locally in the San Francisco Region, there'd be no issue with your car or the proposed mods in ITE.

The SFR version of ITE has no resemblance to the other IT classes in any way.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Hey guys,

I am in New Hampshire, so the NER would be the home region for me.

Haydn

http://www.scca-nnjr.org/NNJR_Race/NARRC.shtml#5

RARELY enforced as far as I've ever seen, except for safety items. Didn't the V8Q run in BTCC or GTCC at one time? See if you can't scare up a copy of those prep rules.

"Super Production". It's in the GCR. That's where some of those ex Trans-Am cars are running, along with the NASCAR trucks and a few old Busch cars (and some other weird stuff).

Don't build it to IT rules, as the regional variances in ITE may not let you legally compete with it...I do know of several Regions in the Northeast that take the local ITE rules very seriously. Technically, you can't 'build' a car for ITE...it's already built...for some other series. Cobbing up together isn't in the spirit of the rules, and if you don't match some other series rules set, you've violating the letter of the rules, too.

Besides, if you're looking at 400hp, you need something stouter than a 6 or 8 point IT cage. Think GT-level cage, add a fuel cell and a fire system. Really.

"Super Production". Look it up.

Greg is right you are in pretty good shape in most of the north east. Even an Audi club rule book would do. I understand that FIA Group seven rally rules are pretty open. We will be back at NHIS in July. Stop by and check us out. NER.ORG
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Would it be sufficient for the NARRC ITE rules to claim that the car is built for San Francisco Region's series, classed in SFR's ITE? Or does it need to be a professional series?

The rules:
    "The only IT rules that apply to ITE are those listed below.

1. Any tub chassis production vehicle running with DOT tires.
    2. Preparation Rules: International Sedans may modify the floor pan/rocker panel sections.
    3. Cars must meet the Showroom Stock or IT safety requirements of the current General Competition Regulations."

That's it. In other words, pretty much anything that's a tub chassis on DOT tires can run in SFR's ITE.

http://www.sfrscca.org/images/content/Road...ITE_ITX2006.pdf
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Greg is right...[/b]
    I respect that it really hurt to write that, Dick...

John's got a good point too: unless you plan on sticking around our little patch all the time, my "rarely enforced" comment can bite you...

Take Dick's advice: come visit with us at NHIS.

http://www.scca-nnjr.org/NNJR_Race/NARRC.shtml#5

RARELY enforced as far as I've ever seen, except for safety items. Didn't the V8Q run in BTCC or GTCC at one time? See if you can't scare up a copy of those prep rules.
    [/b]
    Hey GregAmy,

Thanks for the info and the advice. yest teh V8Q ran in DTM (GTCC) from 1990-1994 as well as BTCC. The car I am building is basically a replica of that set of cars wiht a few modern additions. I have been struggling to find the old regs but I will re-double my efforts. My cage design is based very closely on the DTM cars, except that I am adding Nascar door bars.

timmmy

"Super Production". It's in the GCR. That's where some of those ex Trans-Am cars are running, along with the NASCAR trucks and a few old Busch cars (and some other weird stuff).

Don't build it to IT rules, as the regional variances in ITE may not let you legally compete with it...I do know of several Regions in the Northeast that take the local ITE rules very seriously. Technically, you can't 'build' a car for ITE...it's already built...for some other series. Cobbing up together isn't in the spirit of the rules, and if you don't match some other series rules set, you've violating the letter of the rules, too.

Besides, if you're looking at 400hp, you need something stouter than a 6 or 8 point IT cage. Think GT-level cage, add a fuel cell and a fire system. Really.

"Super Production". Look it up.
    [/b]
    Hi John,

Yeah SPO was where I was thinking this car would end up. My trip to NHIS this weekend was to check out the SPO and ITE cars, run groups and times. As well as to catch up with some freinds who were racing.

As I said in my last post (above) replying to GregAmy, the car is being built as a replica of the 1990-1994 DTM BTCC series cars (including fuel cell, modern fire systems etc), assides from some modern updates (Brakes, Turbos, SEM and door bars). Ideally I would hence like to build a 10 point cage that also ties into the A & B pillars as per the DTM cars. I have to admit I have not read the SPO rules to closely yet as I was trying to figure out if there was any chance of squeeking into ITE. I will go back and read SP again.

Thanks for the advice and I will see you at NHIS .

Timmmy

As stated in previous posts, ITE rules vary from region to region. I would advise against running in ITE and just go to SPO. First of all you are building the car now and claiming that it was in another series and built to that standard is simply not what is happening. Second of all you will find yourself happier in a class with really no rules that will limit future modifications like SPO. MY Volvo is 400+ rwhp and 2600 lbs. I started in ITE in the oregon region but found that the tub cars in SPM (forced induction up to 2.8l ) ran the same times that my car was running in ITE. So I switched to SPM and do not have any rules that limit what I can do so therefore I can make my car even more competative more easily. For me in SPM although I now run with tube frame cars at least I have a power advantage over most of them as opposed to ITE where I had to keep up with modded Vipers and porsche 996 turbo's...
    Peter Linssen
    SPM Volvo 740 Turbo
    ITB/FP/VP1 Opel Manta

An alternate to SP is B- or D-Prepared. The CRB is working on a new set of SIR sizes to better match the power generated by actual WC cars, which should make the classes more attractive for builders. Turbos and AWD are welcome, and you have your choice of 250 and 450 hp (soon to be increased). You also have the choice of Nationals or Regionals, and the same set of rules across the country. Stan

Hey Stan,

That's another increase since the March Fastrak? Any advanced idea of what the sizes will be? I've still got to make mine and I'd love to have it right the first time. BTW, I'd have a four-valve in DP.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Yes, James, we are working on new (bigger) sizes after more discussions with the technical folks in WC. The sizes have not been finalized yet, as we are still working with our technical consultant. Stay tuned to Fastrack.