View Poll Results: Should IT class be added to National ?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 41.41%
  • No

48 48.48%
  • Don't Care

5 5.05%
  • I'm a little wussy and don't want to race at a national race with my IT car

3 3.03%
  • Yes and I would like to sponsor Bill Johnson's ITB Jetta with free tires and expanses

2 2.02%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should IT class be added to National ?

Would you race more if you could race the nationals with out changing your IT car ?

Bill
    #13 ITB Jetta from Nelson
    Bill Johnson

"more" is a misnomer since i have only limited funds to spend on this hobby and so i voted "no"

less regional and more national would be the mix is more like it. i would cherry pick between the two with regards to what fits my schedule and what is the closer of the two.

actually i am doing that to some extent now with nasa Honda Challenge and scca regionals. the cost of one long tow easily pays for the added membership fees of NASA.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

I'm not saying change the present schedule, but add the IT classes to the National schedule and score them as a separate series or something like that, hell I don't care if its just for a plaque...

I will run the locale regionals, but if theres no race or if there is a race but a national at the locale track I would like to race it.

I have to race every weekend and would like it to be SCCA, but I can't afford to run a national class at the present time.

At Mid-Ohio next week the IT class will run at the National as a added class at a reduced $200 rate and they'll see a big turnout.

That's good for the track, SCCA and all the IT drivers that plan to go, I think it's a great idea.

If 40 IT cars register that's an extra $8000 to the race, how can that be a bad thing ?

Just my opinion.

Bill
    Bill Johnson

Atlanta Region often (usually) (?always?) schedules a "Pro-IT" race on National weekends. Classes are ITR, ITS, ITA, ITB, ITC, ITT, ITU, SM
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    ITA/IT7 RX-7 and SPU Baby Grand
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

Bill,

There are many people around the country watching to see how the Cincinnati ITSPEC*tacular works out. As the Race Chairman for the event I have to say that the interest in the event has been overwhelming. It could be that what you are looking for has already developing.

Todd

I hope it all works out :026:

Bill
    Bill Johnson

Bill,

Willing to help sponsor the car, but need more information on the "expanses"!! LOL

Scott Franklin
    www.NutDriver.org
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

I voted no because I don't believe that SCCA needs additional National classes at this time. My vote is slanted towards no partially because if I want to run Nationals, and the Runoffs, I can move my car to FP (lp), EP (fp) or GT3 (when my rich uncle gets out of the poor house!!!!!), so I realize that others woudl have different opinions.

I, too am registered for this weekend's OVR National/Restricted Regional, and while we only get three sessions vs four at a double regional, the seat time is a good bang for the buck. Yeah, we're being used to boost up the car counts, but as long as it's a good value, it's a good example of how we can help other racers.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Scott

I would like to tell you what my "expanses" plan is but I think you voted no, so your not going to get any info out of me...no sir nothing-ford-you... .....

Bill Super Fast Johnson
    Bill Johnson

I am in the ITE catagory and so I might be in a slightly different boat that some other IT classes. That said, I vote yes for one main reason. Racing is a competition. Like any sport it can be about just participating, but the base reason for the event is to compete.

At present ITE or ITO in Atlanta is a no points paying no series championship class where the rules are different enough that from one race to the next I can go from having a very competitive car to a car that is completely out classed. A national class will have more detail to the rules and better allow for a regional championship to compete for.

I can also see an opening for a national IT series anyway. If the MO event is as successful as it seems to could be along with the already big ARRC weekend, there are only a couple more events that need to be added to have a reasonably fun national points series.

SCCA owns Roebling Road and a race at the new track in NJ would make for a nice four event series. Something to consider.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

I thought the purpose of IT was to get into racing as cheap as possible. I guess I'm old school. I haven't raced in a while and when I started in IT damn near 20 years ago, it was the least expensive way to go and if we wanted a national class, we raced a national class car............I like my local region and SARRC just fine, but that's just lil ole me...........

David
    formerly ITC Datsun 510 r.i.p.
    GTO Silverado

I don't want it to turn in to a nit-pik take it apart every week class ether, I don't even need it to be a national points class as I said, I just want to race at the national's....and CHEAPLY

They need more money, we need more racing...1+1=2...

If I go to Mid-Ohio and win I'm not looking for a marching band or my name in all the racing magazines, I'm just looking for a good time big-boy...

Bill I'll bet im faster then you Johnson
    Bill Johnson

If IT goes National I would have to put more money into my ITC Honda's motor than I did to build the whole car.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

I would certainly run the local nationals if IT could participate. I'm not really interested in running for a national championship, but since the we can fit 2 cars in the trailer it would be practical. (My boss has an HP Scirroco). I mean we would be able to split fuel cost and run some of the more distant tracks ie Road Atlanta, VIR to name a couple.
    Jeff Linfert
    Atlantic Auto Works
    We Install and Tune Megasquirt Systems
    #97 GTL Scirocco (for sale)
    ABA Corrado powered by MS3. 40+ MPG

I'm not surprised with the way the poll is going but I'm very surprised that 2 of you are willing to sponsor me.
    First I'll need money for this weekend at Mid-Ohio, you can put your name on the car and I'm certain you'll see it at the front of the pack, so If you would send me an email I'll give you a call and we can make all the necessary arrangements...

Thank you for your support.

Bill super fast Johnson
    [email protected]
    Bill Johnson

The entire point of IT is that it is a "beginners" class... Now we all know the reality is that it might just be the best class in the SCCA and that the class is full of real racers, but making it National in my opinion is not the appropriate future for the class - though I do think it should be the appropriate future for the people in the class.
    Racer of old BMW's.
    MCSCC ITS Class E30 325is
    Racing where IT still exists: http://www.mcscc.org/

The entire point of IT is that it is a "beginners" class... Now we all know the reality is that it might just be the best class in the SCCA and that the class is full of real racers, but making it National in my opinion is not the appropriate future for the class - though I do think it should be the appropriate future for the people in the class.
    [/b]
    The entire point? Really?

"Is" a beginner's class? Or "was" a beginner's class? Which class in IT are you talking about? The whole category? You think ITS and ITR are beginner's classes? They are pretty fast classes. Even ITA is a pretty fast class.

Not sure I agree with "is." SM is the new beginner's class, even though it's also full of real racers.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

There is no such thing as "Beginers class", if there was, there would be mandated "moving up".

IT is a great place to start, as some of the IT classes have low risk cars ($$$) and speeds are lower. But as Josh points out, there's ITS and ITR, and who knows, maybe some class even faster someday.

The current structure of SCCA racing makes REGIONAL racing the "beginers" point of entry, but it's very populated with expert drivers.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Yes, IMO it is an "entry level class" i.e. a beginner class. That's is the SCCA's intention... Is it in reality a beginners class? No... Of course not... It's a regional class that ends up hosting a majority of the driving competitors at most events and has done since I started with SCCA and MCSCC back in the early nineties and was before then too...

To your other point, do you really think "fast" is a real indication of competence? Should SM be considered beginner because the cars are 120-150 Horse power?

IT has it's place as the entrance point for SCCA's new racing membership. But since I started years ago I have wanted a version of IT at the national level, because the drivers deserved that level of recognition... But in fact should this really occur? In my heart I don't think so. Yes I contradict myself a lot. I am concerned that it would become as SM already has; a race of budget as much as a race of talent.

IT in places around the country can be as a professional and expensive a proposition as a mini-Grand Am race, but that's the choice those members made, to my mind these drivers should be encouraged to move up the ranks... BUT, the problem that needs to be solved, is how do we move these drivers up without costing them the camaraderie of the IT community and cost them thousands of dollars to turn their car into something else and yet preserve the position of IT as a welcoming starting point for so many other potential racers?
    Racer of old BMW's.
    MCSCC ITS Class E30 325is
    Racing where IT still exists: http://www.mcscc.org/

I think the drivers should be able to move up in level of competition without having to leave their cars behind.

Thats the real issue. Generally speaking moving up in level of competition means a significant increase also in budget required.
    I race nearly at the peak of my budget as it is now. If I reach a level of skill and consistancy, I might well want to enter a national race. I could do that with my current race package, but were I required to trade in my Cobra R for a T1 Z06 I couldn't afford to do that.

This is another area where NASA has a step or two on SCCA in policy. I can race my car in American Iron on a regional basis and compete it at a National Championship. I would like to do that in SCCA.

There are moves in that direction with the ARRC and the MidOhio IT-Spectacular in the SCCA. I applaud that. I will run the ARRC this season and have the MidOhio event on my schedule plan for 2008. That's enough for me now. However, in 2008 I will have a national license and no place to race with it. That's a shame.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion