Thread: ITA 91 Prelude Si Build

I have decided to go ahead and build my 91 Prelude Si (2.05) into a ITA car. It has been debated for a while, about how competitive this car would be in ITA. From what I've read opinions are split. While I understand that building whats in your driveway is not always the best idea, it is such a fun car to drive that I have decided to go ahead with it because I want to have fun on the track! Besides, I can upgrade when Im out of college (and debt! ). I plan to take my time on the project for money, and to make sure I do it right.

As of right now its fairly stock. I plan on doing body work first and get it looking nice for Autocrossing as the project progresses. I had a Honda guru friend of mine drive the car this morning, and we beleive that the engine is running strong. (98k miles). I will probably rebuild it later this year.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Where to buy parts/what brands etc...

Any ideas on the best path to take to reach the goal of ITA since I am taking my time and plan on autocrossing as I build?

Thanks!
    Eric

Eric Chance - Chattanooga Region
    - Still .... Currently Shopping for first IT Car!!! -

Honestly? Autocross the lude then buy your first racecar. Do some research to see how easy it will be to obtain race parts for this gen lude. For mine, it has been a challenge. It doesn't sound like you've done any HPDEs with the car yet, so that will be your next step (in stock trim). Start volunteering / watching some SCCA Club Races if you haven't been already.

Then again, I was silly and built my Prelude like you're planning to do. LOL
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Ya, Ive been to several Club Races in the past and I do plan on doing some HPDE events.

So far I have yet to have a problem finding a part that I will need for the build. Im sure I will run into a few that are hard to find, but every car has those.

But Ive been looking for two or three years for another car, and for the money the cheapest way for me to get involved is to build the Prelude. I realize that not alot of people will agree with me, but hey, I love the car and I love driving it, and now I want to race it! I believe thats alot of what SCCA is about!

Eric

Well, I won't argue about the buld/ buy math....but, if making the car a top contender is the goal, it's the expensive way to go. It sounds like you love the lude, and thats the top priority. If so, fine, but keep that in mind as the project progresses and the funds keep getting tapped, LOL.

One thought: If the engine is sound, don't rush into doing a rebuild. (Run a compresssion test and possibly a leak down test to be sure). Hondas with 100K miles are just starting to hit their pace. Put your time and money into tires and suspension and of course safety gear first. Then drive, drive and drive. Getting the last few Hp is important, but it's also expensive, and you'll get more from your money if you invest it in yourself.

Oh, and buy a couple books, like Dave Grans "Go Ahead, Take the Wheel", Fred Puhns "How to Make your car Handle", and The Skip Barber book: "Going faster'
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

As it turns out...You guys were right!!!! Its gonna take way too much money, and time, which I do not have right now. After autocrossing it I was not impressed. Then I have found out there are several bent valves and some other issues. So I am going to listen to everyone's advice and save for a race-ready car...which may take longer than I want, but Im sure it will be worth it...

I really jumped the gun on the Lude, but it just looked so tempting sitting in the back yard...haha

Thanks for the advice guys, even if it took several months and a couple autocrosses for me to listen!