Thread: Very Cool SCCA Press Release!!!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Mike Dickerson
    Manager, Region Development
    Sports Car Club of America
    [email protected]

Exclusive Guide to Go Racing
    How to Begin Racing with the SCCA

TOPEKA, Kan. (May 15, 2007) – Sports Car Club of America, Inc. (SCCA) announced today a partnership with Dragon Publishing to distribute its comprehensive guide to motorsports participation, “Go Ahead – Take the Wheel.” The special SCCA Edition of the book provides step-by-step instruction for racing enthusiasts with aspirations of racing in their own racecar.

“I grew up watching races and always dreamed that one day it would be me out on the track,” Dave Gran, author of “Go Ahead – Take the Wheel” said. “Unfortunately, when I first attempted to get into the sport, I listened to the wrong people and thought that racing is only a sport for the rich. Of course now I know better.

“When I was getting into racing, I faced several hurdles and all too many times did things the hard way. I later realized that I was not alone and many others face the same obstacles, or even worse, choose to never pursue racing as a hobby. This inspired me to write a book that clearly shows how anyone can become involved in motorsports and how to overcome the most common road blocks. Trust me, if I can do it, so can you!”

Gran’s book guides readers through various forms of racing starting with Solo events held on large open paved lots, Performance Driving Experience events (PDX) held on permanent road course race tracks, and competitive wheel-to-wheel Club Racing with a racecar. “Go Ahead – Take the Wheel” also describes what the prospective racer can expect when entering the world of SCCA Club Racing, steps on building or purchasing a racecar, safety considerations, detailed costs for budgets ranging from economy to extravagant and much more.

“My goal with this book is to prove that racing is possible and affordable for the average person,” said Gran. “Most people would be surprised at just how attainable it really is to begin racing. Live is too short not to pursue our dreams.”

“Our average club racer is a regular person with a nine to five job and a really, really fun hobby,” SCCA President & CEO Jim Julow said. “Becoming involved in racing can sometimes seem intimidating, but it doesn’t need to be. “Go Ahead – Take the Wheel” provides clear and easy-to-follow instructions on becoming actively involved in motorsports with the SCCA.”

SCCA has scheduled the release of “Go Ahead – Take the Wheel” for early June 2007. Orders are being accepted now on the SCCA merchandise web site (www.SCCACollection.com) or by calling 888-267-2187 for $16.95, plus shipping and handling.

###

About the SCCA:
    The Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) has the most active membership participation of any motorsports organization today with over 50,000 members in the United States. Founded in 1944, the SCCA hosts more than 2,000 amateur and professional motorsports events each year. For additional information about the SCCA, please visit www.SCCA.com .

About the Author:
    Even as a little child, Dave Gran was always found running at full speed regardless of what he was doing. His passion for racing was fueled by his father, Al Gran, who brought Dave to watch races at the local track, Lime Rock Park. Dave currently drives a 1987 Honda Prelude si in the SCCA’s Improved Touring B class. He and his wife Melissa live in Connecticut.

SCCA Collection Site Where this Book is Located

Note: The cover photo is courtesy of Greg Amy’s wife, Thea. As you might imagine, her picture features Greg leading the way in his ITA Nissan at the 2006 ARRC.

A few years ago I read an article in SportsCar magazine that on average, our club gains approximately 10,000 new members each year. It also went on to say that unfortunately we also lose about the same number of members. I was really shocked by this statistic, which still holds true today. How quickly I forgot that I was one of these people. Several years ago I joined the SCCA and thought that I’d be able to figure things out. After much frustration, confusion, and listening to the wrong people, I decided to let my membership lapse. A couple of years later I gave it another shot, and this time was very fortunate although I often learned things the hard and expensive way. As most of us know, becoming actively involved with the SCCA isn’t a terribly difficult process but people need direction on how to make it all happen. This book provides prospective and existing members the guidance they desperately seek. We really want to make getting started racing with the SCCA an easier process.

How are we getting the word out about this SCCA edition? The book is now on the SCCA merchandise site and the press release is on the SCCA home page. Due to reasons beyond SCCA’s control, we are currently unable to permanently add information about the book on the SCCA site. (Please leave this discussion alone for now.) The national office is inserting a flyer about the book into the new membership packages and flyers will be distributed at select events though out the year. For those critics wondering who is paying for this, I developed the flyers and paid to have 20,000 of them printed as a start. If you’re curious to see what they look like, here it is (there are two sides): SCCA Flyer PDF

We are heavily relying upon the regions to make this a success, especially because the SCCA and its regions will be the only retailers of this edition. The national office recognizes that revenue earned is a side benefit of retailing this book for the club. They have chosen not to take a percentage of the proceeds of books sold to regions, thus allowing regions to receive a very attractive discount. The SCCA’s marketing partner, Imperial Marketing, does obtain a percentage to handle the fulfillment. If your region has questions about the SCCA edition beyond what Imperial Marketing can answer, they may contact Mike Dickerson at the SCCA national office. I can also be contacted here or at [email protected] .

We Need Your Help!
    What can you do?
    • Contact your region and recommend that it become a retailer of this SCCA book.
    • Do you have any contacts at publications which might be willing to print the SCCA press release or a related story? (Grassroots Motorsports and SportsCar magazine will be doing something.) The press release is being sent to several other publications, but having a connection there to give it an extra push would be a great help.
    • Post the above press release on other web forums and blogs (not the other information I provided you folks).
    • If you have a website, maybe you’ll consider adding a link to your region (if they start selling it) or to the www.sccacollection.com site. On the home page, you can grab the book image and add a brief explanation what it is.
    • Next time someone asks how they can begin racing, point them to this resource.

I do want to thank those of you who have already provided support for this book and its purpose.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

That is great news!!!

If you havn't got a copy go and get one

If you have a copy, well you need a new copy with Greg's picture on the front, go get a new book!!! lol

Congrats Dave on the success ;

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Congratualtions Dave. That is cool

And to think I knew him back when he was an..................................

I guess now he will move up in the racing world to a production or sports racer class with all of his new found funding Just kidding Dave as I know that you just want to keep us all racing.

This one is for you Dave
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

I guess now he will move up in the racing world to a production or sports racer class with all of his new found funding[/b]
    I didn't structure the terms thinking as a business, but as an SCCA member whose passionate about the club and sport. As long as I can make my loan payments.
    Dave Gran

If you have a copy, well you need a new copy with Greg's picture on the front, go get a new book!!! lol

[/b]
    actually I really prefer the old cover :P
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Great job Dave!

Guys, Daves not getting rich on this, trust me.

I have to say that I am a bit disappointed with the cover. Sure, it is IT. (Cool!) but...the egg?? We have to look at the egg again????

If Gregs head explodes Dave, you're cleaning up the mess!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

That's great Dave!! It's about time they did it!!

I am sooooooo glad I have the old cover!!!!

Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

After I told Greg Amy what I paying for, some of the costs associated with this, and the discount SCCA is getting, he just shook his head and told me that I'm an idot. LOL

It took a bit of a push to have IT cars on the cover, so I guess the egg isn't sooooo bad.
    Dave Gran

Well, I didn't use that word specifically, but I did shake my head a bit...it's most assuredly a labor of love...

And, with that new spiffy mega-coolness cover photo, they should be flying off the shelves pretty quickly now...

Well done, Dave.

Nice I too am on the cover!
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

It took a bit of a push to have IT cars on the cover, so I guess the egg isn't sooooo bad.
    [/b]
    we can agree to disagree. harumph <_<
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Nice Job Dave! Looks Good!
    Jeremy Billiel

Great Job Dave!

Great Job Dave. Atleast you have a real Nissan on the cover. Ya know the blue one at the top of the hill.
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]
    www.kesslerengineering.com (Matt's the man)
    First non CRX at IT Fest 2009 2nd place overall
    2008 ITA NARRC & NYSRRC Champion

Nice going Dave! Does the new cover make my old one a "collectable"?

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

1997 EMRA Vanderbilt Cup TT ST-3 Champion

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

CPM Motorsports Cars - '87 Civic Si - ITA #11, '86 CRX- ITC #11, '95 Integra - ITA #11
    [email protected]

Carol Miller, "Take A Breath"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/carolmiller

+1 for being on the cover
    ReSpeed
    2006 ARRC IT-7 Champion
    2006 PRO-IT IT-7 Champion

you cannot fight the power of the egg!

seriously even on the street its a go kart with fenders and a small truck motor. :026:
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Congratulations, Dave! That is very cool and I will be spreading the word about this on some local boards where I always get the question "So, how does one get into this stuff?".

Oh yea, and I made the cover too!
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Thanks Kevin! I figured you&#39;d like the orange part of the cover the most.
    Dave Gran