Just a refresher on Sowdiv ITE rules:
"Improved Touring E (ITE)

Cars eligible for ITE are production based cars with fenders and doors that are not currently eligible for any other SCCA club racing class.

Cars entered in ITE must meet minimum safety standards of the GCR and Improved Touring Category Specifications, including all items in Section 17, GCR and Section 10, ITCS. Suitability of any car for ITE is subject to the approval of the Chief Steward and Chief Scrutineer.

The maximum engine displacement for normally aspirated cars is 3,000 cc. Turbocharging or supercharging is allowed with a maximum displacement of 1,765 cc. Rotary engines are limited to two (2) rotors."

The RX7 you refered to, I believe, is the one run by the Paytons. He runs it in EP and She runs it in ITE. Like The Miata run by the Davis family, one runs it on slicks in EP and one runs it in ITE on DOTs. One car two classes.

ITE rules have been very liberal in the division. I guess if someone was serious about winning the class and started filing protests some of us would be in a wee bit of a gray area. As long as the Pro-prepared BMWs (read WC cars) are running in the class and taking advantage of the rules My chances of wining are slim. Most of the officials know I am on the way to GT2 (again I'll never win that class, won't be last but wont win in a tub bassed car in a tube frame class, but I will only have to do one double weekend to have enough races to renew my liscnse) and doing the build a little at a time.

But if anyone has a problem with it there is always NASA.

Of course the problem may be on the way to going away. I was griping about things going wrong with the car the other day and the wife said I should quit wasting time with this car and buy a new on that is a real race car. Women never cease to amaze you.