Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: diesel at truck stops for pickups?

Right here, reminding you that while I may get 7mpg towing, \I paid $9,000 for a 29k mile 15-passenger, 1-ton van...

[/b]

And been whining about how much he hates it since he bought it...........
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

And been whining about how much he hates it since he bought it...........
    [/b]
    Au contraire! I *love* the van and the V-10, that's why I won't sell it. The problem is, my eyes get too big and I keep putting in more SHAT to overload it. If I'd show a little "discipline"...

Jeff's one to complain...

what's the equation for that?
    [/b]
    Do it in dollars per mile, makes it easy.

7mpg @ 3.25 $$/gal = .4643 $/mi
    9mpg @ 3.05 $$/gal = .3389 $/mi
    Delta = .1254 $$/mi

Purchase price difference divided by .1254 = ??? miles (considering *just* fuel).

or using the $7000 price difference and fuel and mileage numbers cited 55821 miles
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

so how far do you have to drive that van until it catches you up on the price?

say compared to my 16K 149K mile dually getting 9 currently. . .

what's the equation for that?

I know one thing, "there are too many variables"
    [/b]
    I get more like 12 mpg when towing and when not 18 on the highway AND driving the speed limit. The purchase price on the other hand could have bought almost 5 of Greg's van.

When I bought it the break even mileage was about 45k. Then Katrina and the Waves and futures traders jacked the price of diesel above that of gas. Now it back to where it should be. I paid $2.59 last week.

Tom Sprecher

I paid $2.59 last week. HMMMM We are at 2.87 to 2.97 per Gal That was 2 hours ago may have changed by now
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

I paid $2.59 last week. HMMMM We are at 2.87 to 2.97 per Gal That was 2 hours ago may have changed by now
    [/b]
    We have some of the lowest fuel taxes in the nation.

Tom Sprecher

We have been using the C tane additive. Anyone one using some of the Tuners? have been looking at the predator. T weaver
    [/b]
    if you have a ford, it seems the SCT (NOT "superchips") tuner is the only way to go. hang on fordtrucks.com for a bit and you will see thread after thread on tuners and the SCT is always on top. places like https://www.shop.lidiesel.com/displayProduc...&categoryId=142
    do custom tune files for towing/econo/power/racing. my f250 psd is still under warranttee, so no tuners for me for a while. diesels are too expensive to fix to risk voiding the warranttee.

i use diesel kleen cetane additive. works great.

if you have a ford, it seems the SCT (NOT "superchips") tuner is the only way to go. hang on fordtrucks.com for a bit and you will see thread after thread on tuners and the SCT is always on top. places like www.lipd.com do custom tune files for towing/econo/power/racing. my f250 psd is still under warranttee, so no tuners for me for a while. diesels are too expensive to fix to risk voiding the warranttee.

i use diesel kleen cetane additive. works great.
    [/b]
    No Ford Dodge 2500 Cummins 5.9L
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.