Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WGI Upgrade

Reports from the Track guys are that the uphill from the toe was not touched........ <sigh>

Jake Gulick and I walked the track a couple of weeks ago and we both were impressed with the paving job they did. I would not be surprised if some records fall this year in part due to this. IMO, the areas they didn&#39;t touch won&#39;t have an impact on us.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Jake Gulick and I walked the track a couple of weeks ago and we both were impressed with the paving job they did. I would not be surprised if some records fall this year in part due to this. IMO, the areas they didn&#39;t touch won&#39;t have an impact on us.
    [/b]
    Can you confirm that the sole was untouched? "Won&#39;t have impact on us...."! Gee, I don&#39;t enjoy those bumps very much!

I&#39;m so bad with the boot names. That&#39;s the part after taking the "bowl" section and going up the hill before the right hander?
    Dave Gran

I was down there 2+ weeks ago with the Ferrari guys, and again on Monday with Quackfest.

New pavement in T1, and in the Outer Loop from the entry all the way down past the NASCAR straight. T6 (Laces) is also all new...braking zone is really smooth...kept scaring myself. My &#39;heinie dyno&#39; says that they&#39;ve changed the camber of the entry to the Outer Loop. New pavement is really sticky, in spite of what the HPDE weenies say ("ooooh....it&#39;s slippery....). My prediction is that lap records fall like dominos at the Nat&#39;l and Reg&#39;l in July, if the weather cooperates.

Hopefully, the new pavement will fix all the &#39;weepers&#39; in the Outer Loop and T6.

Toe is still bumpy. Just tighten your seat belts.

And...(TAA-DAAAAH !!!), after a build of nearly 15 years, my long neglected & ignored ITS Z-car finally turned a lap on a track ! And nothing big fell off or got flung out the side of the motor !!!

I would not be surprised if some records fall this year in part due to this. IMO, the areas they didn&#39;t touch won&#39;t have an impact on us.
    [/b]
    Well at least the ..... ITA record will be safe unless somebody buys #24

As John said, the pavement is bee- u- tee- ful. The "toe" of the boot is untouched, concrete patches remain, and the "sole" has those odd stattaco bumps. Interesting bumps those, as you can&#39;t even feel them in a Cadilac CTS V, but you most surely can in my RX-7 ITA car. I&#39;ve often theorized that they are the result of some minor underground "shaling" of the ledge rock so common to that area, rsulting in a "tilting" of sections of the pavement above.

Turn 1 is much different, and the new "track out" is the point where the extra pavement on the outsdie stops and rejoins the track proper, LOL. Not really, but you will see a lot of people abusing themselves out there!

And the long right out of the bus stop chicane (AKA the "Kendall corner, after Tommy Kendall due to his monumnetal crash in the IMSA Chevy years ago) is soooooooo smooth.

Track records will fall as soon as the right combination of people cars and weather combine.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I&#39;m so bad with the boot names. That&#39;s the part after taking the "bowl" section and going up the hill before the right hander?
    [/b]
    Laces = T6-> T7
    Toe = T7
    Sole = T7 -> T8
    Heel = T8

here you go:
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

WGI always looked like a lot of fun, but it&#39;s a 16 hour tow for me. Is it worth it?

Eddie
    ex RX3 and GTI driver
    "Don't RallyCross what you can't afford to Road Race" - swiped from YH and twisted for me
    "I have heard that any landing you can walk away from is a 'good' landing. I bet this applies to flying airplanes as well." - E.J.

here you go:
    [/b]

Just a note on the above pic...the darker areas on the track are not the most recent repave.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

WGI always looked like a lot of fun, but it&#39;s a 16 hour tow for me. Is it worth it?[/b]
    That&#39;s one long tow. It&#39;s a great track, but 16 hours? If you did, I suggest you make it for a double event and plan on doing a few other things in the area. There is a small national park in the town of Watkins Glen which is just awesome. Basically you get to walk through a gorge where there are ~ 10 waterfalls. Alright, so it&#39;s not exacty Yosemitie, but it is worth a couple of hours.

I also see that you have an ITB car. I&#39;ll be making it out to two Glen events this year (I hope). The more ITB cars the better.
    Dave Gran

Dave-

Don&#39;t forget about the viniards... Nothing like going to Wagner (http://www.wagnervineyards.com/) and drinking a few beers while the girls have a few tastings of Wine

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

WGI always looked like a lot of fun, but it&#39;s a 16 hour tow for me. Is it worth it?
    [/b]
    Sept 15-16 Is a double Maybe a test Day before. Vineyard Tours etc if you want to spend some extra time Soaring Museum, corning glass if it might Help to justify the tow as a little vacation time. Since I have spent way toooooooooooooo many hours on the Hill since 1957 would be glad to try to answer any questions. Tom Weaver
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

The Glen is certainly my favorite track. I would definitly suggest making it out there if you can. Very nice area with all the vinyards and such. the gorge in the middle of town is really a site to see, especially if you like to hike.

-Tom sorry i forgot to give you that cd at pocono i&#39;ll get that to you when i get home from vaca next week

Lesser Known attractions..........

Glenn Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport

Village Tavern in Hammondsport

Bully Hill Winery near Hammondsport

all about 30 mins from WGI

Wow - sounds like I could make a week of it!

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Eddie
    ex RX3 and GTI driver
    "Don't RallyCross what you can't afford to Road Race" - swiped from YH and twisted for me
    "I have heard that any landing you can walk away from is a 'good' landing. I bet this applies to flying airplanes as well." - E.J.

I must say the glen is an awe inspiring track that is definitely worth a good tow to get to, it’s only 5 hours for me. There is one down side however. The track management requires full course yellows for just about anything so there is the potential to spend a lot of time behind the pace. Due to this it makes sense to look for weekend with the most racing.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Lots of "wife" things listed here-> http://www.wrightscottages.com/links.html