Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limerock rooky seeking advicve

I am a not only a rooky to Limerock but a fairly new racer who is headed to Limerock this week. Here is the challenge to the all you IT racers who are part of the "Good Old Boy's Club". Who wants to volonteer to coach this rooky on the art of getting around Limerock

Seriously I would appreciate any tips or advice any of you that will be there can share with me. It will also be nice to put faces to the names.
    Jim Alley
    1990 ITA Miata

Its all about doing your personal Best

Help us out with a name, and a car and class.

Lime Rock is a bit intimidating, due to the lack of run off room, and the need to hit the higher speed corners "just right". Concentrate on the basics, and don't early apex in the back if you can help it. It's all about momentum and a few extra lifts kill you.

But, lets hear what the real experts say....)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

If it's a Miata, I may be able to help...
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Yes it is a Miata. It is a 1990 1.6

Jim Alley
    1990 White Miata
    Jim Alley
    1990 ITA Miata

Find us in A paddock and we can discuss. Bring some brass ones!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

No brakes in the downhill......dave

Jim, Andy is the guy to speak with for Miata's at LRP. By any chance are you going to do the SCDA Friday and/or SCDA HPDE event? If so, I'd be more than willing to give you a hand. Yeah, I know, it's after the SCCA race this weekend.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Dave

I wish there was an SCDA event before the event to get some track time and aquaint myself with the track.

I will definatley look up Andy and seek out his advice. With me it will not about being up front fast, but be about being safe and smart.

I have been on the track once at a COM event, but my event was cut short as I lost it on the downhill and stuffed the car into the guardrail.

I will thank everyone in advance for your help.

What is a good time to get to the track on Thursday?
    Jim Alley
    1990 ITA Miata

You won't get in until registration opens.
    Jerry
    NER South

I have been on the track once at a COM event, but my event was cut short as I lost it on the downhill and stuffed the car into the guardrail.
    [/b]
    Lesson 1: Why did you stuff it in the Downhill???

Raymond "Understanding the car and why things happen is a key part to being successful and comfortable" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

One of the people who used to be the chief instructor for the region used the same line all the time when asked this very question:

"Keep your wheels on the black stuff."
    Dave Lyons - TACT is for people not witty enough to be SARCASTIC.
    Latte is French for "You paid too much for your coffee."

There's plenty of video out there with IT racers. Watch 'em, watch 'em again, and again, etc..........

One thing they teach you at the car clubs is to brake into Big Bend with the wheels still straight (classic brake, turn in, feed the power). You can go MUCH deeper into Big Bend than you think, staying on the brakes until at least the bridge and using the turn to scrub speed.

But then again, after Pocono, I'm the LAST person you want advice from.............Yeah, talk to Andy.........
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Jim - If it rains, I use an interesting line (traditonal Skippy) that you might find helpful. We are usually in Paddock A.

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

1997 EMRA Vanderbilt Cup TT ST-3 Champion

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

CPM Motorsports Cars - '87 Civic Si - ITA #11, '86 CRX- ITC #11, '95 Integra - ITA #11
    [email protected]

Carol Miller, "Take A Breath"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/carolmiller

Rim shots for everyone, with the exception of the left hander.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Thanks for all the bits of information. Being a relatively new member of the ITA community it is nice to know there are competitors out there that are willing to reach out and help a fellow member.

To answer the question of how I lost it in big bend, the simple answer is brain fade and an expensive learning curve. I tapped the brakes lightly after turn in.

I look forward to saying hello to as many IT people as possible.
    Jim Alley
    1990 ITA Miata

Jim, If you have an off in the downhill try to catch the car (keep it heading relatively straight) even if you have to turn left. If you can keep the car relatively straight you can run in the dirt on track left and still be okay. Don't try to do too many things at once if you've made a mistake in the downhill. You'll be surprised how badly you can lose it there and still be ok. You'll need spare shorts, but you'll be okay. The guys who ball it up bad there tend to try to correct too soon and end up crashing track right. If you do find it uncatchable then both feet in. Keep your crash to yourself!!!

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

If you do find it uncatchable then both feet in. Keep your crash to yourself!!!
    R
    [/quote]

That si the only thing I did right. I realized it was beyond hope and put two feet in.

I am looking forward to getting back on track and learning from others how to put down a respectable lap time
    Jim Alley
    1990 ITA Miata

Hi Jim, I actually think I was at that COM event. That downhill is pretty scary, the track has gotten really bumpy the past few years. Best of luck out there, I have been there only 4 days, sadly enough, so there will be two rookies out there. Maybe some of the IT guys can show a dumb kid in Touring how it's done
    Charles K.
    #13 NER T2 Mitsubishi Evo

Yo Rookie - these guys are forgetting the best advice - finish the race. If you're still learning the line and aren't at the point where you can put the car into a turn at maximum traction, just keep the eyes forward, watch the traffic and look for the leaders coming up in about 8 laps. Hold your line and let the leaders go around you - be predictable - do not make any fast lane changes to try and accomodate cars behind you. Sometimes those nice guy moves end up costing lots of $$.

This race should be about experiencing wheel to wheel without contact. It's very appreciated if you give a point by. Don't do any crazy stuff on the start - watch and learn - hold your line. Big bend collects cars who dart around looking for that one extra position in the first turn of a race.

You'll definitely have a couple of cars to dice with and really race. Do not try to flat foot the downhill - that's expensive advice. Whoever said that if you are losing it on the downhill was correct - straighten up and run through the dirt and don't try to jerk the car back on track until its settled.

Finish and your checkbook will thank you!
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

One more dumb question... will LRP be open for car drop offs late tonight? I am leaving right after work but don't expect to be there until 8 or 9PM.
    Charles K.
    #13 NER T2 Mitsubishi Evo