Thread: ITA 1986 MR2 Final Drive

Anyone know a source for replacement Final Drives for the 1st Gen MR2?
    MR2 is a blast to drive, but just can't hang in ITA even with a fresh motor. Maybe ITB in the future?
    Final Drive really woke up my ITC Honda Civic.
    Thanks! - Matt in NC.

Hey Matt, you might try an 88-89 MR2 SC, since they gave them a supercharger, they just might have given them a different final drive gear. If not TRD or perhaps even Toysport might be able to help you out, Toysport has been very helpfull with my 87 Celica project. Also give Rick a call at Toyhead Auto Restoration, he as well as the others I've mentioned can all be found on the web.
    racerb aka: Bob in NC.

Matt, you got me interested, so I did a little research, turns out these cars had either the C50 or C52 tranny in them. Well the C52 is the stronger of the two, and was also installed in the early Corolla GT-S, where it was equipt. with a 4.37 final drive gear. While these two cars are totally different in layout, the final drive gears can be removed from the Corolla box and installed in the MR2s
    Happy hunting, Bob

Thanks Bob, I did check out other year and model transmissions for a better final drive. Still looking.

This pig needs like a 4.9 and it would probably drop laptimes by 3 seconds. The gearbox with the stock 4.2 final or whatever is capable of probably 170 mph if it could pull it. We just need to get to like 120 fast. The gearing is tight and the motor revs forever and smooth and it's really a well balanced and very fun car to drive. Not mine but I do the wrenching and get to test it now and then...

If you're not maxing out the Celica on the straights, this is a wonderful upgrade. My ITC Honda is much faster everywhere with the higher final. We just run different size tires to compensate for the lower top end speed when we need to.
    Matt