Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocono Mechanical Protest

I was involved in a mechanical protest of a fellow ITA competitor's car this weekend. I wanted to offer the facts of the situation here first-person, in case there's any rumors flying around. Also, a couple of things happened, somewhat unexpected, that I didn't like and I wanted to pass along.

I and three other competitors - I'll let them offer their identities, as I did not ask them if I could post this - protested the Acura Integra of Windell Holmes for several items, primarily engine- and power-related (although there were some non-engine related items as well). What those specific items were is not particularly relevant, other than to say we were prepared to post the necessary bonds to partially disassemble the engine. Also note that we requested he be allowed to compete through the weekend, but we wanted his car impounded/babysat during that time frame.

We filed the protest immediately following Saturday's qualifying session. A court was convened to review our protest, and Windell was called up to the Stewards. After lunch the stewards came to us and notified us that Windell had chosen to withdraw rather than allow us to check his car, choosing to take the automatic 6 months license suspension and $250 fine. However, he further implied that he was not going to pay the fine, instead he was going to withdraw his SCCA membership and race EMRA and NASA exclusively from now on.

This wasn't necessarily surprising; we recognized that this was a tact he could take. It's not what we wanted: I certainly don't like the idea of a competitor simply walking away unhappy. I wanted Windell to compete with us; in point of fact, we welcome everyone. I also wasn't disappointed that I couldn't take a "shot" at him. The problem is, right or wrong, we believed that Windell's car was illegal and this is the only course of action we can take to verify it.

Further troubling, per the steward Windell said he felt like he was an outsider, that he wasn't part of "the clique". Therefore, I infer he felt he was being singled out and being told to go away by us. NOTHING could be farther from the truth. As noted above we welcome all competitors, and we welcomed Windell as best we could; it's just that we welcome him in a legal vehicle. If he was found during the protest to be legal I would have been the FIRST person to walk up to him, apologize, and make sure that all of his expenses were covered.

In the end, though, I'm left to simultaneously wonder if he ever was legal, and bemoan the loss of a good ITA competitor.

I'm really sorry it came to that.

Greg

Sorry to hear that.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Guys - I am sorry to hear that the protest ended this way. It's our duty as a self policing group to not be afraid to ask the tough questions and put your money where your mouth is (This is in the form of a bond to put the engine together if it was indeed legal).
    Jeremy Billiel

Don't be sorry...if he was cheating (which it sounds like he was) instead of manning up and fixing it he belittles SCCA and jumps ship? Thats not right...It sucks to lose a competitor...if he was cheating and it was obvious what did he expect? Did you have dialogue with him before the protest? That may have helped things turn out differently...
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

Sad story indeed. That said, the protest procedure is well documented, and being prepared to deal with a protest is just as much a part of racing as, well, a green flag.

Had it been me, I'd have been anxious to prove my innocence and make the protester look like a fool :P , but that's just me.

Then again, I'd probably turn around and spend a couple grand "counter" protesting out of spite

Greg, it sounds like you feel really bad about this. You shouldn't, you followed procedure, somebody else decided that they would rather not. His decision, period.

I hope he changes his mind and comes back, but he should come back prepared to race within the procedures and possibilities that are documented in black and white.

My .02 as I sit stuck at home sick.........
    Eddie
    ex RX3 and GTI driver
    "Don't RallyCross what you can't afford to Road Race" - swiped from YH and twisted for me
    "I have heard that any landing you can walk away from is a 'good' landing. I bet this applies to flying airplanes as well." - E.J.

Greg, if windell only qualified 5th why the protest?

was there some sandbagging going on that led to this?

Inquiring mind want to know, do tell please.

Brian Mushnick
    88 VW Golf 16v ITA (deceased)
    92 Golf GTI 1.8l H Prod
    [email protected]

Brian, we had planned this protest in advance of the event. We'd tried talking to Windell last year about our suspicions, but the discussions quickly turned into defensive posturing and were unproductive.

We'd decided well in advance to take this course of action; it had nothing to do with his qualifying position (nor should it...)

Greg,

Sure sounds to me like you did everything not only by the book but in a stand-up gentlemanly manner. Nothing to be sorry about. The fact that Mr. Windell believes NASA and EMRA will embrace him as a legitimate competitor, if they do, says volumes about those organizations and the integrity of their race programs.
    The majority shall rule.

I was also one of the participating protestors. We were hoping to split the costs of the bond. My perspctive on this:

This particular car, while it doesn't win everywhere, it holds at least one track record that I know of and has shown surprising 'bursts of speed' at odd times while on track. Video from multiple people from multiple regions of the car add to the evidence. Illegal items on the EXTERIOR of the car added to the suspicion of items not easily seen.

ITA in the Northeast is a great class but this car seemed to be that needle stuck in everyones craw for the past few years. The potest was written well in advance and done so in a sportsman like manner thanks to Greg's professionalism. While he did predict the outcome (withdraw, fine and suspension) I think all of us were dissapointed in it. I KNOW a protest sucks. I KNOW it is inconvienent. But as BlueStreak says, it is an opportunity to show the class that you are legal and fast. A real 'stick it' opportunity. A badge of honor.

While I will speculate privately why Windell withdrew without allowing anyone to look at the car, it still leaves me empty because I didn't really find out what I wanted to know.

The comments about the 'clique' and the 'boys club' fall on deaf ears for me. Windell, while he may be a nice guy to some, is confrontational and openly unconcerned about the rules when you talk with him. It's never fun. The Northeast has some of the best people in this sport and everyone is welcomed with open arms...to say that he has been excluded is both inaccurate (because he has never made an effort to even introduce himself) and disingenuous. He brings a dedicated crew, never pits with any of the IT guys and never speaks to anyone.

I think while the process 'worked', it still leaves me empty because we have lost a racer - but one who never wanted to be found IMHO. I wish him the best of luck and would welcome him back should he decide to prove his legality.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I think that it stinks for Windell- to drive a couple hours, spend the money on entry and fuel and go home. Probably put him out 500, plus the 250 fine if he ever pays it. That being said, the "I'm taking my ball and going home" speaks volumes. Andy you nailed it dead on. Too bad. Nobody wins when it goes down this way. Ultimately though, were all responsible for our destiny. How you want your story written is your choice.

If he was a cheat then the integrity of the rulebook was preserved. If he wasn't then it'll stink to see him leave.

R

How did tech handle the protest???
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

I will try to be professional here....but I'll fail.

For those who aren't local, this car was the subject of a HUGE shouting match between one ITA driver and it's owner in impound after a race last year. The instigator decided not to protest because his last protest became a clusterf^ck, and he just wanted no part of that scene again. As a member of that protest, I can't say as I blame him....

This is the same car that seems to go thru cylinder heads and engines like singles at a strip club.

I have letters in my in basket with part names and numbers of items seen inside his engine that weren't supposed to be there.

The bottom line: this one is simple, and it has NOTHING to do with being "accepted" or any of that BS. That is simply a ridiculous "spin".

The car has been illegal, and was illegal. He has been warned multiple times. He made his decision, and decided that being suspended was his best option....there's no doubt in my mind that the car was illegal, and probably in many ways.

You guys are being nice, and lamenting the loss of a competitor...I have no such feelings...the class and category are better off without someone who chooses to operate in such a manner.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I was also one of the protesters. I think withdrawing said it all. We didn't have to tear down his engine to know he was illegal. You could SEE items that were illegal.

And the part about being "left out"? Give me a break.............

There were a few other things that bothered me about this adventure, but I'm not sure we will get into it in public................

I say good ridence........
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

The only way I feel bad for Windell is because he felt that it was necessary to cheat. Back when I was in ITA ('05?) at the NARRC runoffs, his engine died per ususal after the front straight. My hub happened snap in the same area and we ended up at the same corner location to watch the rest of the race. I have no clue how a conversation of cheating came up between him and the corner worker, but it did. I could not believe what I hear both of them saying, and I remember it very vividly. Windell said that we're just racing for fun and basically can't see why people are so uptight about cheating. We're just racing for plastic trophies. Right then and there, he was condoning cheating to me and the corner worker. What surprised me more was that the corner worker actually agreed with him (or felt uncomfortable about the situation and just went along with him). My only comment to Windell and the corner worker was "If we're just out here racing for fun, why do you feel it necessary to cheat?" Then I walked away very pissed off.

Feel bad for him? Absolutely not!! As Jake said, he blows his engine up many, many times. The theory has been if Windell gets out in front, don't worry, you'll see him on the side of the track any time now. What is the point of me saying this engine stuff? With his experience putting engines back together and availability of parts, he could put the engine back together in his sleep. It wasn't the work that scared him away.

I commend you guys for the actions you took. He's had plenty of warnings over the years. Maybe this is what it'll take for him to think twice about cheating next time. Heck, maybe now he'll put together a clean program and be able to enjoy racing more?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

If someone wants to build a fun car and not worry about legality then ITE is the place for them. It’s not like we are talking about a car that is running around at the back. This car was taking lap records and podium finishes from others who play by the rule. Not in my class please.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

How did tech handle the protest??? ;)[/b]
    Didn't get that far.

We submitted the protest to the Chief Steward after the qually session. Peter accepted it, read through it, and spent some time explaining the process so we knew what to expect and how to act. Peter was open-minded, professional, and great to work with. He told us we'd be notified of their actions going forward and he relayed the protest to the Stewards of the Meet (I think?).

(Purely speculation, because we weren't involved; any stewards care to comment on the normal course of action?--->) The stewards reviewed the action for validity, notified Chief of Tech of pending actions, and contacted Windell to notify him of the protest. At that point Windell notified them of his intent to withdraw.

(Back in the garage) S.O.M Chairman Chuck Dobbs came to us (Jeff, actually, since he was the named protester**) and told Jeff of Windell's decision. Dobbs returned my protest fee to me and left.

Later, Chuck came by for some paperwork cleanup, and that's when he told us of his conversation with Windell.

So, since the protest never proceeded, we had no experience with Tech. I do believe, however, that Chief of Tech, Bill Etherington, would have handled this professionally and to our satisfaction.

**Jeff (was?) volunteered to be the named protester because I could not be there on Sunday (prior personal commitment). Had we been given the option to review the car, I could not be there for Sunday evening's activities. Short of that, I would have been the main point of contact, and I do thank Jeff for stepping (being pushed?) up to the plate.

BTW, since he's probably working in the field this week and can't respond - but no doubt would - the fourth person was Joe DiMinno... - GA

Total outsider here, but this one looks like it was handled professionaly and with respect for the competitor.

Cheaters are bad enough. Brazen ones, geez!
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I don't know - You guys (Greg, Jeff, Andy and Joe) file a protest, but no one asked me to sign on. I am feeling very left out - not inlcuded - out of the cluque - not part of the boys club Was it something I said - is it that I drive a Acura - what have I done to desrve this - poor me??? Actually you guys are the best well except for Joe (just kidding Joe)

On a serious note - I have been racing with Windell since '97 in EMRA, when he was running a Geo Storm in ST-3. He has always held his cards very close to the vest, been his own guy, a good guy, but not used our club for it's social value. I have no problem with the door he choose to open in this regard but you have to remember that door swings both ways. Personally I have treated Windell like every other competitor - offered help or parts for his Acura when I could, and enjoyed conversation with him when available. Safe to say I am not a "social butter fly" in our great club, but I value the social aspects that we share in SCCA. Although I do not beleive Windell handled the protest properly, I will take this opportunity to remind myself to extend my hand of friendhship to my fellow club members. I beleive the story speaks for itself and like Dick's comment about ITE.

On a separate note, congrats to Greg A on his MBA Graduation at Quinnepac on Sunday - nicely done!

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

1997 EMRA Vanderbilt Cup TT ST-3 Champion

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

CPM Motorsports Cars - '87 Civic Si - ITA #11, '86 CRX- ITC #11, '95 Integra - ITA #11
    [email protected]

Carol Miller, "Take A Breath"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/carolmiller

I do believe, however, that Chief of Tech, Bill Etherington, would have handled this professionally and to our satisfaction.
    [/b]
    I'll chime in on that. I've worked with Bill the last few years at the Runoffs, and I have no doubt that everything would have been handled thoroughly and by the book.
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

i applaud the effort. i found myself loosing a win on 3 occasions at pocono and watkinsglen to him. it absolulty stunk being blown away down the straights in the same 2nd generation integra. i moaned but i never stepped up to the plate. it was time and i am glad that you guys put the effort. play fair or go away! rick
    Rick Benazic
    All Star Sheet Metal inc.

ITS Honda prelude #06

This is the same car that seems to go thru cylinder heads and engines like singles at a strip club.[/b]
    Singles? No wonder the girls call you Tightwad.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com