Thread: Patch, Plug, or "Don't go there!"

Last weekend, during a practice session on a set of new Kumho 710's I picked up a small (1/8") self tapping screw. The puncture is in the center of the "tread" so could be plugged or patched. Is a race tire ever repaired or is that a "flat" out bad idea? Is the tire just "screwed"?

If it's okay to do a repair, is one method better than the other?
    #63 ITB VW GTI
    #63 T3 Mazda RX8
    AZ & CalClub Regions SCCA

I've seen it done with an autocross car, but never on a race car. Tubes are definitely a no-no. Even though plugs are supposed to work, I'd be afraid to trust them.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

I think plugs are out. Local Firestone won't even do them. They patch only.

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Plugs work just fine.

It's a DOT tire for cryin out loud.

Been there and done it; no problem.

Actually, the most embarrassing one was a formula V driver using his car's tire as a work table. Add his cordless drill and Voila...instant need for a tire plug--which worked just fine.

Only use in tread area (and more to the center)

I have plugged slicks and never had a problem. Even ran one down to the cords on a plug.
    Chris

I've run a plugged Toyo to the cords with no issues.

The tire guy who plugged it told me about a FF driver who drove over a piece of steel mesh that led to a dozen or so plugs in his tire, with no issues.

Jarrod
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

Plugs could work but I am anal...On my car I only use what is called a Plug'n'patch. Essentially it is a typical patch but from the center has a plug with a metal end. You prep the inside the same as for a patch but when installing you thread the metal needle through the hole. This ensures the hole is plugged but the structural integrity of the repair is excellent because you have reinforced the area with the patch portion and rarely will they leak after this repair.
    Gord Galloway

Alberta Race Car Association Vice President
    Honda CRXsi IT2 #32

Update. I had a patch put on the tire. Ran the tire last weekend....testing Friday; practice, qualify, race Saturday; practice, qualify, race Sunday. Track temps. well over 100. Took the tire off today. Everything worked and looked good.

Thanks everyone for your replys.
    #63 ITB VW GTI
    #63 T3 Mazda RX8
    AZ & CalClub Regions SCCA

Must have just been me. I tried a patch on a bias ply slick before and it din't work well at all. The tire guy (at the track) did the patch for me on the BRAND NEW tire that picked up a huge cotter pin in the paddock while still on stickers. Didn't realize it until it went flat on the grid.

Upon disassembly of the tire/wheel the tire guy suggested that as the tire heated and cooled the patch material didn't expand/contract at the same rate and therefore parted ways.

I am glad it worked out for you, but a new tire cost a whole bunch less than a flat on track can do for your weekend and car.

I've plugged lots of race tires - on everything from a 100cc Yamaha kart to a Super Vee. No problems, ever. I'd do that before a patch. On a DOT race radial? I think it's a wash between plug or patch, assuming it's just a poke in the tread area.

K