Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i need more class

i run a volvo 242 in the ITB class .what other class can i run it in? i would like to race in two groups.can a car be added to a group?

Are you wanting to run at the pointy end of the (additional) class, or just get seat time? If the former, I would say you're hosed; but if the latter, don't you guys in the great NW run an ITE class... or are the ITE guys already in your run group?
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

D Prepared!!! But, be sure to check to see what group that runs with. For the June Sprints, DP runs with T1 and AS (YIKES!!), so I'm electing not to run...
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

D Prepared!!! But, be sure to check to see what group that runs with. For the June Sprints, DP runs with T1 and AS (YIKES!!), so I'm electing not to run...
    [/b]

I think that Volvo is older than 1990... DP is out

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

I think that Volvo is older than 1990... DP is out

Raymond [/b]
    I can confirm that... the 2 door version of the 240 disappeared at the end of the 1984 production year. And the car appears to have round headlamps, which makes it even older - 1980 or earlier. DP is most definitely not an option.

Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E

Whoops! Forgot about that part of the rule... Sorry about that!
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

On a regional basis you could also run the car in the apprpriate Production or GT class. It won't be up front but it would be classed.
    Ed Tisdale
    #22 ITR '95 325is (For Sale, $15,000 with spares)
    #22 ITS '95 325is (Converted to ITR)
    #22 ITS '87 325is (Sold)
    #5 ITB '84 318i (RIP)
    Racing BMW's since 1984

in ITB im 180lbs light so i was thinking Production .im new to racing and when i was building the car i thought i would be over on weight. when i found out is was light i though whats 180lbs after 2 track days 3 schools and 5 races . 180lbs is alot.

thanks for the help

Now that you've brought my attention to it, I would be of the opinion the two ITCS line entries for the early Volvo 240's ('75 and '76-'81) are severely out of whack on weight. I can't think of any valid reason why they should weigh 140 pounds more than the ubiquitous 140 series (2780 vs 2640). This is especially true of the '75, which is powered by the same engine as the 140 but with 8.7 compression instead of 10.5. To top it off, the 140's have double A-arm front suspension and the 240's have struts. The brakes are essentially the same, and the 140's and 240's all share pretty much the same sleek aerodynamic package.

Since there are very few of them being run in ITB, I suspect these two lines were not scrubbed last year when the ITAC looked at weights. IMO, the '76-81 should be at about the same weight as the 140's, and the '75 should be even less.

Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E

Interesting. Your theory is correct. With hundreds of cars in the ITCS, there are those that slipped through the "Big Re-org". I suggest you drop a line to the ITAC, at [email protected] and suggest a review of the spec line.

The ITAC will run the numbers and discuss the result. If the numbers say it's overweight, then it should get an adjustment.

(NOTE! Just to be clear, this is NOT a competition adjustment. It's merely cleaning up and getting things to line up with the process as much as is reasonable, and there is no guarantee that this car will or will not get an adjustment. Only that it will get the process run on it.)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Too-Fatty-Two Volvo ITB you're the one with the ax to grind here. But if you wish, I'll submit something to the board.

Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E

in ITB im 180lbs light so i was thinking Production .im new to racing and when i was building the car i thought i would be over on weight. when i found out is was light i though whats 180lbs after 2 track days 3 schools and 5 races . 180lbs is alot.

thanks for the help
    [/b]
    Wa Wa Wa. Come on Tony "they" said 240's would never be competative. Don't give up so fast. Write a letter, get a weight adjustment. It is very arguable and I am sure there are people on this forum that will suggest some "language" for you.
    Peter Linssen
    SPM Volvo 740 Turbo
    ITB/FP/VP1 Opel Manta

Too-Fatty-Two Volvo ITB you're the one with the ax to grind here. But if you wish, I'll submit something to the board.
    [/b]
    so i send a email too [email protected] ? if they do change the weight will i have to wait a year? that wont be a big deal i think i can only run one more race this year. im just mad i dont get to race you in the manta peter.the car handled like you were sitting shotgun.

Any progress on reducing the Volvo 240's curb weight? Several folks who run/ran 242's were all seriously underweight.

Travis Kijowski (MARRS)
    Steve Alander (SARRC?)
    Ernie Williams (MARRS)

Not sure what Jonathan's ITB 242 weighs, but I recall him mentioning it being light too.

These folks aren't even running the aluminum hood, trunk and gearbox cases.

My 242 weighed @ 2840 with full interior, A/C, etc.
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

Default ITAC inquiry sent

I just sent an email to the ITAC about the Volvo 240 in ITB. We'll see what they come back with.
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

Particularly for older or more obscure cars, remember that it's VERY helpful if you include technical information for the model(s)/year(s) in question.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Particularly for older or more obscure cars, remember that it's VERY helpful if you include technical information for the model(s)/year(s) in question.

K
    We're on the same page. I'm sending them completed VTS sheets for each line item.
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

I am glad you have made the effort David. Did you happen to add the 245's into a spec line?
    Peter Linssen
    SPM Volvo 740 Turbo
    ITB/FP/VP1 Opel Manta

I'm including the 2/4/5 door models. So yes the wagon's will be included.

My main goal is correcting the errors. If the weight is reduced that will be a side benefit.
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

Sweet
    Peter Linssen
    SPM Volvo 740 Turbo
    ITB/FP/VP1 Opel Manta