Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's a screwed racer to do?

Drivers,

Got this email this morning.

The Central Florida Region wishes to extend it’s regret at the cancellation of your enduro race this past Sunday. Unfortunately, the predicted approach of severe weather, which included a tornado warning, thunder storms, heavy rain and large hail caused Speedway Management to shut the event down in the name of safety.

The fact that these storms did not materialize to the level of severity predicted is not important. If they had struck with the intensity with which airport weather reports indicated, it would have been a very dangerous situation for all participants had we proceeded with the event. Hindsight is always 20-20. The Speedway chose to err on the side of caution and protect it’s employees, facility and you.

We understand your disappointment. Many of you came a great distance and spent many hours/dollars preparing your cars for competition, not to mention the expectation of competing.

Please bear with us, we are developing a plan to compensate your entry fee. We will be contacting you shortly with that plan.

Sincerely,
    Robin Langlotz
    Race Board Chairman

Well, thats reasonable. I think they'd be wise to issue a credit for a future entry. It would allow them to keep the cash and pay the expenses now, and might encourage extra attendence down the road at a future event. If they've done well and have good cash reserves, there is no reason they can't issue credits. They aren't a run for profit organization. I'd expect 50% credit in the future, and be thrilled if it were 75%. (But I think 75% would be fair)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I DO find it fairly offensive that you don't just imply, but you say that you think that the region tried to find a way to take your money and run. Do you really think they were out to steal from you or were you just overly hot when you wrote that initial post?
    [/b]
    I don't know why you would be offended, since it wasn't directed at you.

And no, I don't think that the region was out to "steal" from me or my fellow competitors. When I wrote that, perception was reality. The reality was that there was NO severe weather that ever materialized. The reality was that the race was called before any rainfall occured after the small-bore race ended. The reality was that the region provided ABSOLUTELY NO information besides the race is cancelled, clear out and go home. So the perception, based on that reality, is that the race was looking like a washout and rather than wait it out and make an attempt to get the race in, the officials called the race.

Now add to that the latest information that the speedway had some say in it, and maybe the region's hands were tied. I don't know if there was ever any discussion with the speedway to the possibility of waiting it out, and we'll probably never know that. I hope that there was and it was given more than just casual consideration. I hope that the region went to bat for us before just accepting the speedway's decision.
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

www.themotorsportshour.com
    "Road Racing on the Radio"
    WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a degenerating society" - Unknown

The fact that these storms did not materialize to the level of severity predicted is not important.
    [/b]
    Sorry Robin, but I call BS. It is important. The storms never materialized AT ALL.

Hindsight is always 20-20. The Speedway chose to err on the side of caution and protect it’s employees, facility and you.[/b]
    It's not hindsight, my statements were based on the reality AS IT HAPPENED. Why didn't we just clear the grid, clear the corners, and wait to see what happened? I think it's presumptuous to assume that it's safer to have 60+ drivers and plus crew milling about the pits loading up cars/gear than it is to have the same amount of people sheltered in the garage waiting out the storm.

Please bear with us, we are developing a plan to compensate your entry fee. We will be contacting you shortly with that plan.[/b]
    Robin, thank you for responding. I also thank Fran for her preliminary email yesterday. Since this is all we're left with, thank you for attempting to make it right. Still too many unanswered questions though.

Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

I've never been to Daytona that there wasn't a major rain storm at some time each day. Most often, when lightning or the ability to maintain visual contact between corners is compromised, the event is stopped until safety is restored. It may kink my timing and day, etc., but I've never had a problem with this. I tow 14 hrs. to Daytona...one way. A race normally involves four days of motel rooms, several meals that cost more than I would've spent at home, and a ton of some of the most expensive gasoline in the nation. I've raced in the rain, I've crewed in the rain, and I've even spectated in the rain...it all sucks, but it's better than drag racing.

I've been going to Daytona for this event and others for several years, and I've never been there that the DIMS personel didn't control the SCCA officials actions throughout the event. I've even been told by one of the stewards that the Daytona personel changed their minds with the wind, and told the SCCA what they could and couldn't do, and that it was impossible to keep up.

I've had my membership card taken, because someone forgot to put a dot on my windshield indicating that I was working out of my truck rather than my trailer. I've been refused entry (along with about 60 others) into where my car was located (15 min. before my session), because "security" had found a vehicle within the confines that didn't have a parking sticker. I've had a friend refused entry into a garage area, because "parking was full", even though is never was, and had to tote his tools, etc. across the parking lot to his garage where he'd had to push his car. DIMS personell has changed the entry gate open from day to day regardless of where it was published. And any number of things that are aggravating, at best.

However, I'll go again to race there. I didn't make this race for a number of reasons...one of which was the screwed up schedule that, once again, gave preferential treatment to the whines of the national racers. I would've been saddled with having my buddy crew for my race while he could be doing final prep on his car and then immediately coming in and doing the same for him when I could be loading mine before the Daytona "security" physically ran me out.

I'd venture a thought that, with the mess over the ECR/FER debacle, and the ravings of a certain mad man claiming to represent the sentiments of that area, and the rumors of seperation of the state of Florida, SCCA, combined with the rain cancellation, that no good will came from this last weekend.

Dos centavos
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Well, thats reasonable. I think they'd be wise to issue a credit for a future entry. It would allow them to keep the cash and pay the expenses now, and might encourage extra attendence down the road at a future event. If they've done well and have good cash reserves, there is no reason they can't issue credits. They aren't a run for profit organization. I'd expect 50% credit in the future, and be thrilled if it were 75%. (But I think 75% would be fair)
    [/b]
    That may very well be acceptable to most involved. But it is not what is required by the GCR. Cash refund, not credit. The only part up for debate is what amount is 'reasonable'.

The racers got screwed. It appears that the region made a calculated decision to take the money and run. Once a car hits the track, they are under no obligation to refund any money. It also appears that they saw an opportunity to be able to get out early and jumped on it. How else do you explain calling the race when no rain had fallen in more than 1/2 hour? It appears that the decision was made without serious consideration to waiting it out. There were over 420 entrants this past weekend. There were 42 cars and over 60 drivers qualified for the race. It seems that they were willing to take their chances pi$$ing off only 10% of the racers, because hey, at least they get the money.[/b]
    This coming from a 2nd driver who only paid a $35 entry. I suppose he wants it all back, despite he may have gotten his $35 worth of track time in qualifying.

This coming from a 2nd driver who only paid a $35 entry. I suppose he wants it all back, despite he may have gotten his $35 worth of track time in qualifying.
    [/b]
    Great first post, raceit! How mysterious it is that this comes from a brand new account with no point of contact information supplied.

Racecar: 1992 Civic SI ITA/H4 (SEDIV #24)
    Owner: Design Garage - for all you t-shirt screen printing needs
    Good Guys: LAMIN-X Protective Films - Discount Tire 407.275.8133 - C.W. Pence Rebuilders 407.831.8197

Its amazing to me the amount of bad blood for Daytona...from both this board and the production guys too.

Apparently it is a boring track to boot?
    Never been myself ....

Perhaps we should all boycott it?

I know from what I've heard that I'll probably never attend...
    "Entropy sucks"

[/b]
    raceit, do you actually race anything? If you did you might understand a bit better that just because the add'l driver fee is $35, doesn't mean that's all the 2nd driver pays. Point of fact, you have absolutely zero idea what I paid.

Way to knock off a tremendous initial post!
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

Its amazing to me the amount of bad blood for Daytona...from both this board and the production guys too.

Apparently it is a boring track to boot?
    Never been myself ....

Perhaps we should all boycott it?

I know from what I've heard that I'll probably never attend...
    [/b]
    I don't have much animosity for Daytona. They do run their facility quite differently than most I've experienced, but once you get used to how they do things it's not such a big deal.

The track is boring to some, mostly in lower powered cars I would guess. I rather enjoy it. I think the more you race it, the more it grows on you.

You can't argue with being in SEDiv and having Daytona, Sebring, Homestead, Road Atlanta, Barber, Charlotte, and VIR. And since you're here, you might as well race 'em all!
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

The track is boring to some, mostly in lower powered cars I would guess. I rather enjoy it. I think the more you race it, the more it grows on you.

[/b]
    As The driver of an ITC car (and the don't get any lower powered) I don't find the track boring at all. While it might not be as technically challenging as say Savannah or Sebring or Road Atlanta, where else do you get to go so fast? It also seems to me that while there are a lot more rules to follow at Daytona, hey it's still DAYTONA!!!!!! I mean come on... I wonder what the rules are like at Indy? anywho that's just my 2 cents

Jeff Linfert
    CFR #77 ITC Scirocco
    Jeff Linfert
    Atlantic Auto Works
    We Install and Tune Megasquirt Systems
    #97 GTL Scirocco (for sale)
    ABA Corrado powered by MS3. 40+ MPG

just got my 160.00 credit in the mail. Thanks Central Florida Region.
    Neil

As we all debated the lack of ECR sanction at Daytona, it appeared that the region was self-serving in it's position. Well that was reinforced loud and clear at the track yesterday.

snip...

The racers got screwed. It appears that the region made a calculated decision to take the money and run. Once a car hits the track, they are under no obligation to refund any money. It also appears that they saw an opportunity to be able to get out early and jumped on it.

snip....
    [/b]
    Well, I think the actions of the race officials and registration since this race was cancelled should make it pretty clear that the abve speculation was not the case.

Thank you CFR!!!!

Christian, who's still bummed about the race but is very pleased with the final outcome of events.
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Well, I think the actions of the race officials and registration since this race was cancelled should make it pretty clear that the abve speculation was not the case.
    [/b]
    Well, as GKR_17 pointed out, it's required by the GCR to respond in this fashion. That is a point of fact I was not aware of at the time of my initial post. My apologies to the region for jumping the gun and not being more aware of the GCR mandates.

I'm glad the region is making restitution, but I don't think it changes our standing within the region any. As was pointed out by Junktech; can you imagine the race being called so quickly with 2 or 3 National races to go instead of a measley enduro?

Many questions......few answers.

Reasonable people can disagree.
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

Got my refund/credit and just applied it to the Sebring "June Bug" event. I do have give props to Region 83. They did do something for us which, I'm happy to see. Thanks CFR!

Racecar: 1992 Civic SI ITA/H4 (SEDIV #24)
    Owner: Design Garage - for all you t-shirt screen printing needs
    Good Guys: LAMIN-X Protective Films - Discount Tire 407.275.8133 - C.W. Pence Rebuilders 407.831.8197

[attachmentid=956]I don't know how many out there remember August 2002 - The Saturday IT race started under the same conditions - The sky to the west was Purple - Thunderstorm - Lightning - and Tornado warnings were in effect and out we went.( btw - it was my First race with rookie school having been completed just 3 weeks prior) The picture attached was taken at the beginning of the race just as the sky turned Pruple.By the third lap it hit. The storm was so sever that there was substantial damage to all awnings/tents that were up. We sat at a total dead stop on the track for over an hour in a torrential downpour unable to move. For a novice - first race, the experience was something I will remember for ever, however, had the race officials had the same warning technology at the time, in retrospect, I would have appreciated them callling the race. I'm sure that some of the SOM's and staff in the booth last week were also there 5 years ago and they remembered what had happened back then which may have contributed to their decision they made last week. I too was disappointed since it was my first time back since the total destruction of my car last August, but I put it aside and I'm looking forward to Sebring in two weeks.

Mark

Mark Nasrallah
    944 S
    #54 ITS

Now Mark, it wasn't quite that bad. Just because it dumped so fast that 10 of us thought we turn left into Lake Lloyd instead of T1, doesn't mean the water was too deep. That was quite a downpour. What was even crazier was the 4 guys that continued to circle the track under the red flag. They probably couldn't see the flag, so figured it must be safe.

See ya at sebring. lets hope for a dry weekend.
    Jim Cohen
    ITS 66
    CFR