Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Get your IT7 spec tires NOW - here's where

If you need a set of the spec tires for your IT7, you need to order them right now. Toyo is way behind in shipping many of the popular RA1s to dealers including the 205/60-13, so many DO NOT have tires. This includes Appalachian Tire, who has only a few sets, which are already reserved. So there will be NO IT7 spec tires at SARRC/MARRS at VIR and probably not at Kershaw Memorial Day weekend.

However, they are available at AI Motorsports in California. They just got their shipment after being out themselves for a couple months. I've ordered my set and, if you need tires for either weekend you should call AIM, too. Their number is 800-578-2071 - they also advertise in Sports Car.

The reason I bring this up is I don't want to see a replay of what happend at Roebling this last weekend. One IT7 driver showed up without Toyos and when he couldn't get a set from Appalachian at the track, the Stewards simply waived the tire rule, based on the limited availability. They could have done any number of other things - make him run ITA, borrow or buy tires from other IT7s, or let him get a dispensation from the other drivers to run his Hoosiers(no one objected since he was easily slowest of the IT7s). Instead they announced a complete waiver, which could have caused a lot of unnecessary problems and ill will. We had a gentleman's agreement to run Toyos, and that worked out. But if someone had switched to Hoosiers and won or even did better because of it, there would have been a lot of hard feelings. Jeff Ryan decided to try out a set of Hoosiers in Sunday qualifying and went two seconds a lap faster than he had Saturday (partly due to a faster track, but a lot due to the tires). He went back to the Toyos and lagged back at the start to give up his advantage, before trouncing me fair and square (Darn it!), but it would have been ugly if he hadn't been a gentleman. We shouldn't have been put in this situation by the stewards to begin with, and we can avoid it by planning ahead and and ordering our tires now.

Tom Lyttle
    IT7 #43

crazyshoe Guest

are they shaved tires or full treads? I definately need to get another set for kershaw if i race at VIR

spec tires are awesome!
    ReSpeed
    2006 ARRC IT-7 Champion
    2006 PRO-IT IT-7 Champion

Tom,

Thanks for the info. What's the long term status? Seems like this could potentially be a bigger problem as the season progresses.

I believe Stan was looking into other options. I actually prefer the Toyo b/c of their longevity.
    Joe
    E' meglio bruciare, piuttosto che svanire lentamente

IT7 - #72 - www.joe-racer.com
    2006 SCCA SE Time Trials Champion / Street Mod

I have 2 never mounted Toyo RA-1 205/60/13's. If someone needs them $200 + actual shipping for the pair. These are NOT shaved. I am near Akron,OH.

Matt
    [email protected]

This isn't a new situation with Appalachian right? They have never brought Toyo's to the track for IT7.

Who has the power to suddenly make that change without any consent from anybody?

I simply can't imagine how the stewards were able to simply cancel the tire rule for the Roebling event. If somebody had showed up in a Spec Miata without a hardtop would they have let them run without one because SafeQuip Tim doesn't happen to stock them in his trailer? Suppose the gas pumps were locked, could I have run Cam 2 in my IT car? Don't have a current harness, so I can run without belts cause ISC doesn't sell them at the track? That is absolute crap. Talk about abuse of power -- where's Mattburg when you need him?

So there are two separate issues with Appalachian. First, as Grendel points out, you have to get your order in two weeks in advance. That's nothing new. Second, they don't appear to have a current stock. That part is new. I feel bad for them and the hit that does to their bottom line. They're certainly a hard working bunch of folks and put in a tremendious effort at all of our events.

Fortunately for us, the following folks have our IT-7 spec tire:

Hub Cap Heaven
    919 319 3484
    Mark Cooper
    $114.00 plus tax, plus $10.00 to shave and $15.00 to mount and balance

Villian Tire
    1 888 775 8646
    Lora
    $125.00 shaved, plus $47.00 shipping

EdgeRacing.com
    1 800 495 8306
    $104.00 each, full depth, they don't shave
    $449.36 for 4, delivered

Tiresavings.com
    1 866 248 4991
    $118.00 unshaved
    $15.00 per tire to shave
    Scott Gallimore
    worker, nat comp license, IT-7 driver,
    North Carolina Region Board of Directors, Member at Large

crazyshoe Guest

Scott,

Thanks for the info on the tires. That's a huge help. I agree, the way they handled this situation was horrible and I hope it doesn't happen again.

I'm just glad they waved the 12A engine rule and let me run my 13B in IT-7

Hey guys,

I work F&C for the Peachstate PCA, as well as for SCCA and my driving IT7 and SPU, and Bob Woodman (out of Charleston, SC I believe) has always been very good to them. Due to this, I thought I'd give him a shot. I was pleasantly surprised. I ordered a set of RA1s, shaved and delivered to the door in 3 days for a total of right at $500. Check them out.

Scott Franklin
    www.NutDriver.org
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

I simply can't imagine how the stewards were able to simply cancel the tire rule for the Roebling event. If somebody had showed up in a Spec Miata without a hardtop would they have let them run without one because SafeQuip Tim doesn't happen to stock them in his trailer? Suppose the gas pumps were locked, could I have run Cam 2 in my IT car? Don't have a current harness, so I can run without belts cause ISC doesn't sell them at the track? [/b]
    I suggest you read section 5.12.1.A.5. The IT-7 rules are part of the Supplementary Regulations and can be changed by the SOM. The rules for the Spec Miata hardtop, fuel and harness are part of the GCR and cannot be changed.

Bob Hudson
    Atlanta Region
    Bob Hudson
    National Steward

I suggest you read section 5.12.1.A.5. The IT-7 rules are part of the Supplementary Regulations and can be changed by the SOM. The rules for the Spec Miata hardtop, fuel and harness are part of the GCR and cannot be changed.

Bob Hudson
    Atlanta Region
    [/b]

Enough said. O' yea of little faith.

Tom Sprecher

So does that mean that the SOM can change any aspect of IT7 for that event without consulting anybody?

Also, since they are within their powers to change that rule, there would be no way to challenge that decision?

If you read sections 5.12 - Stewards and 8 - Stewards Actions, Protests and Appeals you will eventually find out the answers to your questions are yes and no and in that order.

Those dudes wield a lot of power at a race for sure.

Tom Sprecher

In my limited stewarding experience serving on an SOM, we don't change anything unless we receive a request from the Chief Steward and we're given a good reason.

With the exception of the schedule or the race groupings, the SOM can only change the supps for reasons of safety or forces beyond their control. Even though I was not on the SOM for the Roebling event, I would interpret the lack of tires as a force beyond the control of the SOM.

If you're named as a party to a decision by the SOM, the decision can be appealed to the Court of Appeals. From a practical standpoint, that's almost moot because the event is over, although the appeals period has not expired. I've never heard of anyone appealing a decision to change the supps, but I suppose in theory it can be done if you feel strongly that the SOM made its decision in a manner that violated the GCR.

It would be an interesting appeal - I would think that the best you can hope for (if you prevail) is the personal satisfaction of knowing you're right.

Bob Hudson
    Atlanta Region
    Bob Hudson
    National Steward

I think if I were competing in IT7 and the spec tire was a Toyo, and, for some reason I didn't get mine in time, I'd look at my options:

1- Don't run
    2- Beg/ borrow from someone else
    3- Look at other tire options if 1 and 2 didn't work out, and run the car in ITA. It IS an ITA car after all

With all those options, I can not see appealing to the stewards as something I'd even consider.

It appears/seems the tires are available, just not as easily as some have become used to. Caveat emptor.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I think if I were competing in IT7 and the spec tire was a Toyo, and, for some reason I didn't get mine in time, I'd look at my options:

1- Don't run
    2- Beg/ borrow from someone else
    3- Look at other tire options if 1 and 2 didn't work out, and run the car in ITA. It IS an ITA car after all

With all those options, I can not see appealing to the stewards as something I'd even consider.

It appears/seems the tires are available, just not as easily as some have become used to. Caveat emptor.
    [/b]
    Exactly. It's not that the tires were unavailable, it was just poor planning. I probably wouldn't agree with the decision, but its nice to have some insight on how all the legal stuff works.

crazyshoe Guest

Couldn't they have had a meeting with IT-7 drivers before making that decision. I know between all of us we had plenty of tires to sell/lend whatever, I know I had an extra set. Just my two cents

Bob Hudson
    Atlanta Region
    [/b]
    Thanks Bob. Now that we know how "an" SOM can change the IT-7 rules for the Roebling event, I'll change my earlier statement from:
    "I simply can't imagine how the stewards were able to simply cancel the tire rule for the Roebling event."
    to:
    "I simply can't imagine how a fair minded set of stewards, with the best interests of the class and the recorded wants and desires of the members of that classs in mind, were able to simply cancel the tire rule for the Roebling event."

I still say it was abuse of power. It was not in the interest of the class nor of the participants. I'll go as far as to say it was contrary to the stated intent of Regional classes and, as such, should be on the radar of our National office. If you want an example of what is wrong with the management of our club, you now have one.

Hey Roebling Stewards involved in that decision, you want to know what is driving the swell in membership in NASA and other organizations? Take a look in the closest mirror.
    Scott Gallimore
    worker, nat comp license, IT-7 driver,
    North Carolina Region Board of Directors, Member at Large

Hey everyone, don't know if the tire shortage has anything to do with it, but Toyo has been saying they would bring a new tire to the US soon. I believe it to be closer to the Hoosier, Kumho 710, and/or Hankook Z214s, but as it is already selling overseas, until US stock runs down is has yet to be imported. One thing most likely keeping the current RA-1s around, is the fact the World-Challenge is also using them as their Spec Tire!!

Just wait till the current trends in street tires trickle down to our level, we might not be able to even find 13",14",15", or even 16" tires to use.

racerb

This won't help what's already happened, but you'll be pleased to know that the stewards are at least thinking ahead. The Chief Steward for the SARRC/MARRS race at VIR asked me to contact all the IT7 drivers with the following statement. (Those of you who provided email addresses should have already received this notice, and THANKS--that's a huge help to the registrar!)

Dear IT7 Drivers,

<span style="color:#3333FF">It has come to our attention that one of our traditional VIR vendors, Appalachian Tire, will likely not have the required IT7 Toyo spec tire available for the "Al Fairer SARRC/MARRS Challenge". Consequently, IT7 competitors should assume that these tires will not be available at the track and should bring their own adequate supply or make other arrangements to insure they have the correct tires for the event. If you do not make arrangements to bring the required tires, be prepared to participate in a different class such as ITA, which does not have a spec tire rule.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this and hope this notice helps you prevent an potential problems.

Ginny Condrey
    North Carolina Region, SCCA</span>[color=#3366FF]