Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Get your IT7 spec tires NOW - here's where

I don't think you can make a real case that the spec tire rule is "killing" the IT7 class. The number of different competitors has gone down a bit since 2005, but the total number of entries per event has remained essentially unchanged over the last three years. By my quick count, there were 182 starts in 2005 (average 7.3 per event), 173 in 2006 (avg 7.0) and 99 so far this year thru VIR (avg 7.7). The drop in 2006 is not surprising since a few competitors did choose to go back to ITA. Rick Thompson alone accounted for more than the difference since he ran 17 IT7 races in 2005 and none in 2006.

The tire rule played a part, I'm sure, in some IT7 competitors moving back to ITA. However, the PCA changes that helped the RX7 a bunch (relative to the CRXs, Integras and Miatas) made it more feasible for people who wanted Hoosiers to go ITA. In other words, I'm not sure all those who changed would have gone to ITA if the RX7s hadn't gotten the PCA help to make them reasonably competive in ITA again.

But the bottom line is, regardless of the minor variations in year-to-year numbers, IT7 is still the seventh best supported regional class in SARRC (behind SM, SRF, ITS, ITA, SPO and IT. If IT7 is dying, I hate to think what you'd call the other 40+ classes that can't average 7 entries per event.

Tom Lyttle

Dear IT7 Drivers,

<span style="color:#3333FF">It has come to our attention that one of our traditional VIR vendors, Appalachian Tire, will likely not have the required IT7 Toyo spec tire available for the "Al Fairer SARRC/MARRS Challenge". Consequently, IT7 competitors should assume that these tires will not be available at the track and should bring their own adequate supply or make other arrangements to insure they have the correct tires for the event. If you do not make arrangements to bring the required tires, be prepared to participate in a different class such as ITA, which does not have a spec tire rule.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this and hope this notice helps you prevent an potential problems.
    Ginny Condrey
    North Carolina Region, SCCA</span>[color=#3366FF]
    [/b]

Well, I messed up! I gave the credit for the warning statement about the spec tires to the Chief Steward, and although he was the one who gave the orders to contact everyone, the initial words and suggestion came from NCR&#39;s RE, Mark Senior after a "heads-up" from Grover McNair. I believe in giving credit where it&#39;s due and I apologize for not getting it right in the first place. I can only chalk it up to stress and a long to-do list. Sorry, Mark. And THANKS for helping to keep us all straight!

Ginny