In my limited stewarding experience serving on an SOM, we don't change anything unless we receive a request from the Chief Steward and we're given a good reason.

With the exception of the schedule or the race groupings, the SOM can only change the supps for reasons of safety or forces beyond their control. Even though I was not on the SOM for the Roebling event, I would interpret the lack of tires as a force beyond the control of the SOM.

If you're named as a party to a decision by the SOM, the decision can be appealed to the Court of Appeals. From a practical standpoint, that's almost moot because the event is over, although the appeals period has not expired. I've never heard of anyone appealing a decision to change the supps, but I suppose in theory it can be done if you feel strongly that the SOM made its decision in a manner that violated the GCR.

It would be an interesting appeal - I would think that the best you can hope for (if you prevail) is the personal satisfaction of knowing you're right.

Bob Hudson
Atlanta Region