Thread: Easy fluid changing/adding idea

Lawn sprayer, the thing you fill, pump a bunch of times and then spray weed/bug killer.
    I think I've seen it recommended to pressure bleed the brake system, but just got the idea from some boating buddies to use it for gear oil. See no reason why it couldn't be used for diff and trans fluid?

Worth a shot, I think the cheap versions are about $15 or so. Might be slow and not sure if gear oil would spray out the tip at any decent pace. Try it out!
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

Yeah, you have to change the wand/nozzle/tip to something from a regular gear oil pump/grease gun or something. I think Wally World (wal mart) sells a 1gal for less than $10.

I'd be afraid that I'd be wearing more gear oil than I got in my tranny. It'd be tough to control the pressure and the volume.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

I'd be afraid that I'd be wearing more gear oil than I got in my tranny. It'd be tough to control the pressure and the volume.
    [/b]
    That wouldn't be so good I gotta get more details but I think they managed to integrate the trigger somehow. I haven't even look at my sprayer yet.

But they use this on outdrives and outboards where the procedure is to pump the gear oil in from the lowest part of the unit. So you either keep pumping it or pressurize it. I'll share more details as I get 'em.

I used a 2' section of 4" PVC pipe, a cap, a cleanout and plug and make a pressurized quick fill. I have a 1/2" pipe fitting in the bottom with a ball valve and a length of hose. There is a regulator on top with an air quick connect. This lets me pour in what I want, put the top on, put the hose in the trans or diff and open the valve. Then I put the air on, and slowly raise the pressure to about 5 psi. Puts the fluid in in about 15 seconds. Not pretty, but it works!

Mike

Buy two feet of clear tubing, about 1/2" I.D.

Take the cap off the gear oil container. Cut the top off the cap at the point where it'd I.D. is same as the O.D. of the clear tubing. If the cap doesn't have the traditional cone shaped top then just drill hole into cap instead. Run tubing thru the top you cut off. Drill small hole in the cap and put a barbed end air fitting on there with the barb facing down.

Thread cap onto gear oil container and push the clear tubing all the way to bottom of container. Put other end of clear tubing into trans or diff. Attach compressed air line to the air fitting. I use a small battery operated air compressor for filling tires / soccer balls, etc... and set it to 20psi max. Haven't popped one yet.

Turn it on and watch the gear oil go. No mess, takes about 30 seconds.

Many of the gear oil containers use same thread/pitch on the cap but Amsoil uses it's own special one of course.

Brad
    --Brad--

I got this from Ron Styger's web site:

Unofficial Bimmer

Use a cleaned out windshield washer fluid bottle. It's usually a gallon sized bottle. Then go purchase the hydraulic oil pump, they're less than $5 each. I've got one for transmission fluid and one for differential gear oil.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter