Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: exhaust opinions

Thanks,Chris , what parts are you looking for?? It is for the circle burner, those Mustangs are going down.
    Please send it to. Protech, 1220 broad st, Masaryktown, FL. 34604. Thanks. I'll send you some cash in return for your time or , I stock a bunch of New stock for Mk 2 , and have plenty of body parts. yeah ,it 's legal here. Mike Ogren , 352/796/1985
    Iknow that the A1 has the outlet in the center i, and it hits the motor mount on the A2. The ABA exhaust ports look the same as the 8V, but i dont know if the intake wil clear, etc. Vortex has a lot of info , but I cant find that tidbit.
    AKA Madd Mike,
    www.racingcarsrental.com

The ABA is a tall block, and if the same downpipe fits A3 and A2, that suggests that the ABA manifold is what accomodates the extra height. My guess is you could make it fit, but the exhuast will lay low.

I'll look at my parts tonight, and ship one out tomorrow if it is out there.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

I think the down pipe is diffrent between the aba and a 1.8. i have done lots of aba conversions and the down pipe is taller, also the cast aba mani will bolt on a 1.8 forsure, its the same as a 1.8 rare twin out let mani...done it more than once..
    BUT the stamped steel Mani wont fit a 1.8.8v

We also just put a doubledown from an aba on a 90 jetta diesel, I dont know if it helped?
    hope this helps
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

That does help. The casting and spacing , looks the same(as A2), but it is in the car and will cost me cash to get it off and try it on my head. It looks cast. I have a 16v down pipe and it is for a track rat so that part is Ok, weld ,cut etc.
    The tin manifold looks big around the exhaust ports and looks to hit the intake , on a old 8v head.
    This car is about a 97 Jet or so and has a nice ABA and trans, if anyone needs some power stuff. The body got the forks thru the glass last week and is pretty beat. The whole powerplant/trans can be bought for maybe 600$. FL. I take my old shells across the street to this place and than shoot them with a shotgun and/or air rifle. Yea haa. Mike Ogren
    AKA Madd Mike,
    www.racingcarsrental.com

Sounds like you have what you need there. You still want me to dig out a manifold?
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

I still need it. The ABA engine is a later 99 and has a stamped one and there are other issues . What is the price?? Thanks. MM
    AKA Madd Mike,
    www.racingcarsrental.com

I'll just send it and let you know what the shipping was.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

well shoot... it turns out that all the ones I have are 16v manifolds.

sorry bout that.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

Thanks for looking. I'll keep checking the Bay. MM
    FWIW I revalved the stock Jetta shox today. The ones that come out and drip oil allover. Turns out the restrictor valves come apart, and can be restacked. A little STP and type F trans oil and they are race stiff. I trim the compression by moving the slotted washer to the middle of the stack of three, and trim the rebound with oil viscosity.
    They take about 12 oz of oil. I jst split the can of STP, and makeup the rest with Type f. Vw has the top seal.
    At the rate the circle burners go thru shox and strut housings, I had a hard time going for the Bilsteins . We have to run stock springs and they just bang on the bottom stops.
    Mike Ogren
    AKA Madd Mike,
    www.racingcarsrental.com

WOW you can do that? i have thrown so many of those shock away! thanks for the info!!

i have a mani sitting in the shop, shipping might suck, 20 bucks plus shipping sound good?
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

That sounds real good. The addrss is Mike Ogren /Protech, 1220 Broad st. - US 41, Masaryktown, FL. 34604. Dont foreget to include a return address , and I send what ever the total is to you. Do you need any Mk 2 stuff? I have a bunch of stuff and two shells. Complete 85 GTI Golf, (virgin,) very little rust,
    90 Jet, no power. Bits etc.
    I threw out a bunch of these shocks, also. But when I worked for Peugoet, we would service these same style of shox, reoil and seal the thing back up. The compression valve is right on the end of the shock., It pops off, and the spring washers are captured by the clip. Just put the wave washer between the other flat washers.
    Mercon is real soft, Type F is stiffer, and the STP brings it right up stiff.
    I will post the part # for the shock seal, as soon as I get the updated one from parts VW dealer.
    MM
    AKA Madd Mike,
    www.racingcarsrental.com

But what keeps the oil from over heating and foming?
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

The strut is the oil resevoir. And the strut housing is air cooled.. I am sure that it does get hot and soften some. BTW the seals are NA from VW. My VW parts guy said that maybe Bilstein or Boge might have the seals .
    The exhaust will complete most of my parts needs, thanks,
    The Holley 350 carb came today, the 4spd trans should be here Fri, the manifold came from Bill, (thanks ), The cage came from John W. (thanks) The Total seal rings came tues. Mike has got the car stripped pretty clean, I have to make "crush boxes" for the cage feet and fit the cage and seat , put the engine together , build the exhaust, soften the rear axles' bushes, build a pan baffle and splash restrictor...
    MM
    AKA Madd Mike,
    www.racingcarsrental.com

Lael, Could you email me with your address and I'll send you some cash. I am down to the exhaust manifold to match to the head. All of the other parts are here. Thanks, Mike Ogren , FL. 352/796/1985 shop .
    PS
    [email protected] It seems to be working again. MM
    AKA Madd Mike,
    www.racingcarsrental.com

Lael, Cleland, could you PM me, or call me with status,. Thanks, MM
    AKA Madd Mike,
    www.racingcarsrental.com